There are 145 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
You would think discus training would work balance, explosivity. Does twirling translate to lateral movement?

in discus throwing, it actually helps to be tightly-wound; it helps with energy transfer.
athletic ability is probably the third thing you look for in a thrower behind wingspan and the ability to attain high-level technical prowess.
all three are important, but if you can't learn and refine technique, you have no hope.

what impresses me most about okoye is that he learned and refined his discus technique to elite level so quickly. he was there in a couple years; that is RARE. most people take 2 or 3 times that long to work everything out.
if he can do that on a football field, he's got a decent shot.
Originally posted by xcfan:
in discus throwing, it actually helps to be tightly-wound; it helps with energy transfer.
athletic ability is probably the third thing you look for in a thrower behind wingspan and the ability to attain high-level technical prowess.
all three are important, but if you can't learn and refine technique, you have no hope.

what impresses me most about okoye is that he learned and refined his discus technique to elite level so quickly. he was there in a couple years; that is RARE. most people take 2 or 3 times that long to work everything out.
if he can do that on a football field, he's got a decent shot.

ok thanks. Do you know who worked with him? Is he part of his training team here?
oops
[ Edited by SoCal9er on Jul 20, 2013 at 7:46 PM ]
Practice squad is likely his best shot. However I can absolutely see him being cut.
Okoye's a huge project...and fans expecting to see him on the roster may well be disillusioned. He'd have to beat out a player who's been in football for years...a not-very-likely scenario. He may even have a tough time landing on the PS...that's what I see as the reality of the situation.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Okoye's a huge project...and fans expecting to see him on the roster may well be disillusioned. He'd have to beat out a player who's been in football for years...a not-very-likely scenario. He may even have a tough time landing on the PS...that's what I see as the reality of the situation.

I would not say delusional. I actually think it is ridiculous to pigeon-hole every player as a minimum 3 year project. If he gets individual attention for 6 months, he should be ready to contribute at some level as long as his athletic ability allows him to. If talented enough, any player can contribute at any point depending on his role.

Of course, we don't expect this dude to be able to learn and apply the entire playbook. THAT is the project. But if you don't believe players can specialize at something within months, then I think that is delusional. Some players get things after a few months, some players who have played their entire life may take 3 years in the NFL game, and some athletes, no matter how little experience they have, are able to contribute immediately if coached properly and used strategically.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I would not say delusional. I actually think it is ridiculous to pigeon-hole every player as a minimum 3 year project. If he gets individual attention for 6 months, he should be ready to contribute at some level as long as his athletic ability allows him to. If talented enough, any player can contribute at any point depending on his role.

Of course, we don't expect this dude to be able to learn and apply the entire playbook. THAT is the project. But if you don't believe players can specialize at something within months, then I think that is delusional. Some players get things after a few months, some players who have played their entire life may take 3 years in the NFL game, and some athletes, no matter how little experience they have, are able to contribute immediately if coached properly and used strategically.
Waste of a roster spot for a one trick pony. Best case scenario is Practice squad
The point I was trying to make was Okoye's a big longshot to make the team...possibly even the PS. Who's he going to beat out?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Waste of a roster spot for a one trick pony. Best case scenario is Practice squad
agree,, also as many have said. who exactly is he supposed to beat out?
51 pages for a PS player. how did this get so out of hand?

Snitches don't make the team

It all depends on what that trick is. That's why I think it is funny how quickly we can pigeon-hole into the learning curve or how coaches want to apply players.

How many thought Bruce Miller would be a starting FB and a damn effective one?

It all depends on what that trick is. That's why I think it is funny how quickly we can pigeon-hole into the learning curve or how coaches want to apply players.

Miller had played football before though, Okoye has never played american rules football

Good point. I'm trying to remain optimistic about Okoye's chances to make the roster but I have serious doubts about it to be totally honest. There's a million guys out there with great measurables that never amount to anything in this league and those are guys who've been playing this game all their lives. Its an unbelievably long road for him but what story it would make if he defies all odds, makes the roster, and actually sees time this season. GO NINERS!

Miller had played football before though, Okoye has never played american rules football

Yes but the same was being said about him. A lot of folks thought of him as a wasted draft pick because of the dramatic position change. Who knows, some would say that a dramatic position change like that would be more difficult because one has to not only learn the new position, but unlearn his old footwork. All Okoye needs to do is learn new footwork. He doesn't need to unlearn anything.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone