LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-okoye-on-american-football-hardest-thing-ive-ever-done.html

cut him now
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-okoye-on-american-football-hardest-thing-ive-ever-done.html

Wait until he puts on the pads! Big British softie, gonna get his ass kicked!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Kinda sounds like that, doesn't it? Too bad. I hope he reaches down deep and surprises us, but it's not a good sign that he's saying it's the hardest thing he's ever done before ever even being hit. How's he going to feel after he meets Iupati in a full scrimmage?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
all that buffness fo nuthin!
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Kinda sounds like that, doesn't it? Too bad. I hope he reaches down deep and surprises us, but it's not a good sign that he's saying it's the hardest thing he's ever done before ever even being hit. How's he going to feel after he meets Iupati in a full scrimmage?

Let's hope he can man up, and deal. It would be great to steal a freak of nature like this, but Euro's are not generally tough enough for American Football, it's a cultural thing. Hell just watch them flop around playing Basketball, or Soccer! Good lick, mate, you'll need it!
doesnt make final cut, IMO
Originally posted by Ballistic:

PS imo
He's saying the OTA's are the hardest thing he's ever done...this is from a world-class athlete. Just wait 'til training camp...that'll blow his mind. Look...I understand many of you want/expect him to make the team...but, that's not very realistic. For all his studliness, he's never played football before. He's a project and really has little chance to crack the roster or even make the PS. If he can pull through, great, but I sure don't expect him to. At some point, the staff will likely realize he's an experiment that didn't succeed...they'll have to do that because they have experienced players (including rookies) they'll need to focus on. The NFL is a very tough business...only the strongest, most talented players make it. Okoye's waaay behind the power curve...so his chances to make it as a football player are really slim to none. Not trying to rain on his parade, just sprinkling a dose of reality on it.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Ballistic:

PS imo
urrite :)
This just is more proof that American football is the most intense and athletically demanding sport in the world. It also happens to be the most mentally demanding sport in the world.

Let's hope he can man up, and deal. It would be great to steal a freak of nature like this, but Euro's are not generally tough enough for American Football, it's a cultural thing. Hell just watch them flop around playing Basketball, or Soccer! Good lick, mate, you'll need it!
A lot of Euro's are better at Basketball and Soccer than Americans
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Why? I'm gonna go ahead and assume that a 6'6 300lb beast who played Rugby isn't going to be lacking in the toughness department. Maybe you guys are reading into it too much, or I'm not reading into it enough, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume 99% of his struggles are not understanding the concepts of Football.

From the article:

"He hasn't had anybody hit him yet," Fangio said. "He hasn't had a double-team yet. He hasn't figured out if it's a run or pass, whether he should rush or play the run. So it'll probably be a very slow process with him much more than a normal rookie."Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-okoye-on-american-football-hardest-thing-ive-ever-done.html#storylink=cpy

Think about that for a sec. Every single rookie in the world has his struggles because they don't understand the playbook, the reads, etc. Well, this guy isn't a rookie in the NFL, he's a rookie to the sport. He started playing football 2 months ago. When JPP got drafted, he was considered extremely raw because he had only played football since Junior year of high school. Lawrence started the day the NFL draft ended. Give him time.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
He will be one of the first cuts or he will quit. Not ever playing football at any level is a huge disadvantage. You can read between the lines of Harbaugh when he says that he hopes he keeps working hard.

I disagree with about everything in this flippant overreaction. The Niners knew exactly what they were gdtting into when they signed this guy and I personally would be shocked if dither scenario described took place.

Getting informed as to what kind of guy Okoye is might help you avoide posting silly opinions going forward.
His failure to master the English language will be his downfall
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
His failure to master the English language will be his downfall

He is a master of it.
Share 49ersWebzone