LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 60sfan:
He will be one of the first cuts or he will quit. Not ever playing football at any level is a huge disadvantage. You can read between the lines of Harbaugh when he says that he hopes he keeps working hard.

The dude hasn't even played a snap with contact. There's really not much to read at this point.

I don't think he has to get "injured" to stay on the team. He can be moved to the PS and if a team wants him they'll have to put him on their main roster. No sane GM is going to do that.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I don't think he has to get "injured" to stay on the team. He can be moved to the PS and if a team wants him they'll have to put him on their main roster. No sane GM is going to do that.

Ehhh, I think there are teams that are currently significantly worse off than us who might see enough value to pull him. But then again, all of this is completely meaningless until we see him in the 4th quarters in preseason. That's when all of this is going to be decided.
The dude hasn't even played a snap with contact. There's really not much to read at this point.

I think you can read quite a bit into it. He is way behind the other rookies already and there hasn't been any contact. The thing is, he has a lot going on outside of football. Ultimately, I think he will move on. He doesn't need football.

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Ehhh, I think there are teams that are currently significantly worse off than us who might see enough value to pull him. But then again, all of this is completely meaningless until we see him in the 4th quarters in preseason. That's when all of this is going to be decided.

If a team is significantly horrible and they think adding a undrafted FA that has never played a full game of football before in his life over an experienced FA is a smart move then their horribleness makes perfect sense. I'm not saying Okoye is bad but hes project. You don't put projects on the 53 man. But I agree preseason is going to give us the first glimpse of his potential and Harbaugh could sneak him in as FB or something.
I think you can read quite a bit into it. He is way behind the other rookies already and there hasn't been any contact. The thing is, he has a lot going on outside of football. Ultimately, I think he will move on. He doesn't need football.

You may be right about him havingh a lot going on. It seems a bit foolish for him to even try football. I disagree with you tho. I think your overreacting a little. You should at least wait till full contact before you make assumptions. It's a contact sport and Okoye may feel more comfortable that way.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I think you can read quite a bit into it. He is way behind the other rookies already and there hasn't been any contact.

Of course he is, and the coaching staff knew that going into this. Are you the only person who didn't get the memo that he has never played football before? He's basically played football for a couple weeks/months compared to even undrafted FA's who have played organized football for 10+ years. No kidding he's way behind everyone else...
Originally posted by Disp:
Of course he is, and the coaching staff knew that going into this. Are you the only person who didn't get the memo that he has never played football before? He's basically played football for a couple weeks/months compared to even undrafted FA's who have played organized football for 10+ years. No kidding he's way behind everyone else...

Everyone seems surprised by this fact. It's going to take him at least a year to memorize the muscle movement. This is not something that happens overnight. We're just lucky we got in on the ground floor.
Originally posted by Disp:

Everyone seems surprised by this fact. It's going to take him at least a year to memorize the muscle movement. This is not something that happens overnight. We're just lucky we got in on the ground floor.

Really, the only question will be if our FO puts him on the 53man roster (not on active roster), to develop him, or they think he could pass waivers and put him on the PS.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Really, the only question will be if our FO puts him on the 53man roster (not on active roster), to develop him, or they think he could pass waivers and put him on the PS.

I think he would absolutely clear waivers. When it comes time to make cuts Okoye is not going to be on any teams claimers. It just doesn't make sense. You claim players that have experience in the league who can strengthen your squad. Okoye is a project that is raw in every sense of the word. I mean I could see Harbaugh sneaking him in but not really. I think he's smarter than that.

Why would a team cut a player because he's inexperienced or technically unsound just to add another player of the 53 man roster that is just as inexperienced and technically unsound if not more? You would have to be a horrible coach to think that's a smart idea.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jun 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Pretty much. I know a lot of people are excited about him, but anyone who thinks he will even dress for a game this season is nuts. We have drafted rookies with a decade + of football knowledge who won't even see the field for a year or more.

I think he would definitely clear waivers. This guy is not going to suit for any team this season with how little he knows about the game.
[ Edited by Disp on Jun 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM ]

The article from today is nothing. What did you think was going to happen in his first 2 months. Everytime they start a new phase, whether it's OTA's or Minicamps or contact drills or training camp, Okoye will always be behind because he simply lacks knowledge and technique. I would assume that would be the case for his whole first year. I would also assume that the Niners knew this and knew what they were getting into. As long as he shows enough pop, like he did at the regional combine, I think they will continue to work with him. It's all baby steps for him right now and will continue to be that way for awhile.

And last year we kept Jenkins on the roster and he he didn't contribute at all. He didn't know the playbook, wasn't in the best shape and I remember watching videos of him getting chewed out because he was messing up all the time. He dressed for 3 games and didn't dress the other ones. Obviously we have more invested in Jenkins but I think there is probably plenty of examples of guys that are kept on the roster or on the practice squad so that we can develop them and see what we have.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I think you can read quite a bit into it. He is way behind the other rookies already and there hasn't been any contact.

...that shouldn't surprise anyone. That's to be expected. Those rookies have been playin' football for years.
I'll give him 8 years tops
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I'll give him 8 years tops

Ill settle with 1 tackle a year.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-okoye-on-american-football-hardest-thing-ive-ever-done.html
Share 49ersWebzone