There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

I am sorry if I sound abrupt here, but I find it laughable some are questioning his toughness.

A lot of you mention rugby - have many of you actually sat down to watch a game? Incredibly tough, no pads, no helmets and the prospect of a 25 stone prop annihilating a 5'4" scrum half...legally.

Trust me, he is hard enough.

As a recap - he learnt the discus in two years and made the Olympic final. He is so intelligent, he received an unconditional offer to study law at Oxford University, one of the best universities in the world and the equal of your Harvard & Princeton.

Trust me, he will learn the game.

I would expect him to be on the practice squad for a year or so, but I would not be surprised if he sees game time in 2014. Time will tell.
[ Edited by EnglishNFLFan on May 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Now, some have thought about him at OT or FB.

It seems that the team signed him and gave him to Tomsula right away.

I have seen no indication that he is being considered at full back or offensive tackle.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by 5280High:
The real question is how will he hold up to the mental aspect of trench warfare? Chop blocks, tackle traps, and crack backs aren't all that fun if you dont have that nasty all out mentality. D-line is mostly about muscle memory and leverage at its core, doesnt take a genius to read run or pass... but it does take a little bit of crazy to play in the trenches.

This is exactly it. If he has that nasty demeanor, he will succeed. It's as simple as that. That being said, tons of big dudes are softies in the nasty department so it's not a given.

If he hadn't also played rugby I might see this as a concern, but typically speaking, those dudes aren't softies.

I agree rugby is brutal but its a different kind of toughness. It's hard to explain, I played a bit of both and the main difference is that Rugby is allot more straight up. Like not as many blindside hits and you kind of know when you are gonna take the hit or tackle. In football, you can get leveled out of nowhere on any given play and the average NFL collision is the same as a 30mph car crash.

I dont doubt Okoye is tough, but it still takes a different mentality when you step onto a football field compared to a Rugby field where he was the largest man in the league.
Originally posted by buck:

Now, some have thought about him at OT or FB.

It seems that the team signed him and gave him to Tomsula right away.

I have seen no indication that he is being considered at full back or offensive tackle.

I agree with you, the front office seems want him to be a D-lineman.
Originally posted by CO9er4life:
You think keap will get him all tatted up

There is no keap on the 49ers.

Yes there is...there is a RoDgers too!
It seems like the Niners Brass wants him on this team somehow, some way. The discus skills may be able to translate into a really strong/fast spin move (a la Dwight Freeney in his prime). Now, there's a lot of work to do, but it seems like there's just too much raw ability for him not to make the 53.

My concern is his hands don't seem to be violent (from the few clips I've seen). But, there's only so much he can improve each day. Obviously, he's got a LONG way to go, but it's exciting to think what he could potentially be, if he pans out.

Now, some have thought about him at OT or FB. I see FB making a lot of sense from the rugby background, but OT requires a lot of technique and time to develop. But at 6'6" 305 lbs, he's just too perfect to be a 3-4 penetrating DE.

But, he should be on 53. I don't want to see another team develop him.

I cant think of any teams that would snatch him off our PS?
The real question is how will he hold up to the mental aspect of trench warfare? Chop blocks, tackle traps, and crack backs aren't all that fun if you dont have that nasty all out mentality. D-line is mostly about muscle memory and leverage at its core, doesnt take a genius to read run or pass... but it does take a little bit of crazy to play in the trenches.

This is exactly it. If he has that nasty demeanor, he will succeed. It's as simple as that. That being said, tons of big dudes are softies in the nasty department so it's not a given.

If he hadn't also played rugby I might see this as a concern, but typically speaking, those dudes aren't softies.

I agree rugby is brutal but its a different kind of toughness. It's hard to explain, I played a bit of both and the main difference is that Rugby is allot more straight up. Like not as many blindside hits and you kind of know when you are gonna take the hit or tackle. In football, you can get leveled out of nowhere on any given play and the average NFL collision is the same as a 30mph car crash.

I dont doubt Okoye is tough, but it still takes a different mentality when you step onto a football field compared to a Rugby field where he was the largest man in the league.

Definitely different, but both require a level of toughness that is beyond the norm. Besides, as an NFL defensive lineman, the vast majority of physical play is relegated to the line of scrimmage/pocket where it's more hand-to-hand combat....or it's the d-lineman dishing out the punishment to the ball carrier/QB. Yes, there's the occasional wham-block or blind-side smash, but most guys learn to have their head on a swivel after taking one of those. In other words, it's not like he'll be facing a constant barrage of blindside hits, given the rules of the game and the position he plays.

Bottom line, given his background, I don't think his level of toughness will factor in at all. IMO, it's going to boil down to overcoming is total lack of experience in playing the game at ANY level...which is doable (given time/coaching/desire), especially given his crazy physical abilities.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by CO9er4life:
You think keap will get him all tatted up

There is no keap on the 49ers.

Yes there is...there is a RoDgers too!

Somebody has got disflexia.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
It seems like the Niners Brass wants him on this team somehow, some way. The discus skills may be able to translate into a really strong/fast spin move (a la Dwight Freeney in his prime). Now, there's a lot of work to do, but it seems like there's just too much raw ability for him not to make the 53.

My concern is his hands don't seem to be violent (from the few clips I've seen). But, there's only so much he can improve each day. Obviously, he's got a LONG way to go, but it's exciting to think what he could potentially be, if he pans out.

Now, some have thought about him at OT or FB. I see FB making a lot of sense from the rugby background, but OT requires a lot of technique and time to develop. But at 6'6" 305 lbs, he's just too perfect to be a 3-4 penetrating DE.

But, he should be on 53. I don't want to see another team develop him.

I cant think of any teams that would snatch him off our PS?

per ESPN - John Clayton

Q: Is there some kind of practice-squad exception for foreign players so someone like Lawrence Okoye has the chance to be developed and protected by the 49ers, but not take up a spot on the eight-man practice squad?

Greg in Portland, Ore.

A: There is no practice-squad exception for foreign players. Teams have an eight-player max to their practice squad. They can use the spots however they want. The early word out of San Francisco, though, is that Okoye might have enough pure talent for the 49ers to consider him for the active roster. There is such a good buzz about him that another team might claim him off waivers if the 49ers try to get him to the practice squad. Okoye is a great story so far.
  • buck
  • Veteran
per ESPN - John Clayton

Q: Is there some kind of practice-squad exception for foreign players so someone like Lawrence Okoye has the chance to be developed and protected by the 49ers, but not take up a spot on the eight-man practice squad?

Greg in Portland, Ore.

A: There is no practice-squad exception for foreign players. Teams have an eight-player max to their practice squad. They can use the spots however they want. The early word out of San Francisco, though, is that Okoye might have enough pure talent for the 49ers to consider him for the active roster. There is such a good buzz about him that another team might claim him off waivers if the 49ers try to get him to the practice squad. Okoye is a great story so far.

Now, that is interesting.

Definitely different, but both require a level of toughness that is beyond the norm. Besides, as an NFL defensive lineman, the vast majority of physical play is relegated to the line of scrimmage/pocket where it's more hand-to-hand combat....or it's the d-lineman dishing out the punishment to the ball carrier/QB. Yes, there's the occasional wham-block or blind-side smash, but most guys learn to have their head on a swivel after taking one of those. In other words, it's not like he'll be facing a constant barrage of blindside hits, given the rules of the game and the position he plays.

Bottom line, given his background, I don't think his level of toughness will factor in at all. IMO, it's going to boil down to overcoming is total lack of experience in playing the game at ANY level...which is doable (given time/coaching/desire), especially given his crazy physical abilities.

I think you guys are confusing what I was trying to say. It's not an issue of toughness but rather that internal switch to being a maniacal beast out there. The mindstate that you are going to maul people and eat their babies kind of thing (well maybe not their babies ). I guess if I had to pick a word, it would be desire or passion.

I think you guys are confusing what I was trying to say. It's not an issue of toughness but rather that internal switch to being a maniacal beast out there. The mindstate that you are going to maul people and eat their babies kind of thing (well maybe not their babies ). I guess if I had to pick a word, it would be desire or passion.

I see...well, it's definitely tough to play with a passion for something that you don't really know much about or haven't grown up doing. But, if you're a competitor (which he definitely seems to be), that passion and desire to win/be the best can seamlessly translate to just about any sport/endeavor you're involved in. And the better you get at it, the more passionate you can become.

But I get your point now. The whole "softie" thing threw me there.
I wondered about UDFAs who make the PS and then get "got" by another team....do they have the right to decline? There is some segment of rookies that I thot could decline a team if on the PS. Initially i thot it was foreign players but clayton debunked that. Anybody have any idea of a segment of 1st yr players who can decline to be taken by another team? If so, how exactly does that work. If no such animal exists, would appreciate knowing that. Thx.

As for Okoye, everyone knows the upper body move to throw the discus. As mentioned above that would be pretty darn close to the swim move,, which is what I thot trent had in mind when he signed him. Also he is such a chunk of a man and so dang strong, that undoubtedly had a lot to do with it. Coordination, agility, speed, quickness, smarts....unnhh, what's not to like?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I wondered about UDFAs who make the PS and then get "got" by another team....do they have the right to decline? There is some segment of rookies that I thot could decline a team if on the PS. Initially i thot it was foreign players but clayton debunked that. Anybody have any idea of a segment of 1st yr players who can decline to be taken by another team? If so, how exactly does that work. If no such animal exists, would appreciate knowing that. Thx.

As for Okoye, everyone knows the upper body move to throw the discus. As mentioned above that would be pretty darn close to the swim move,, which is what I thot trent had in mind when he signed him. Also he is such a chunk of a man and so dang strong, that undoubtedly had a lot to do with it. Coordination, agility, speed, quickness, smarts....unnhh, what's not to like?

I think practice squad players can decline teams if they want. I think Ricardo Lockette rejected offers to get on other team's rostor but chose to start with SF because of Harbaugh and his personal relationship with Kaepernick.
rugby is a very bruising sport. I dont think they hit as hard... but I'm sure it hurts more considering there is no pads.

Although a helmet to helmet hit is no joke lol