LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
I hated the tire jump in high school. Finally got it down 4 yrs later. But Okoye has not had experience with that particular exercise, and my guess is he just picked it up and bingo, learned it, to what looked like perfection. I've never seen any NFL player in camps do that particular exercise that well, especially that fast, that agile, that perfectly. Man would I like to see what they start Okoye on next. He's got an exercise I learned to do poorly and slowly down after one try. That says he learns and learns quick. I just don't see the 9ers keeping the guy off the field. He's quick, agile, fast , huge, strong...and obviously very smart. His coordination is well, impressive. I couldn't understand this pick on draft day. Now i think the guys in the F.O. found a diamond...a huge fricking diamond...in the rough.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
post.

some.

video links. yo
Wow, just watching his camp highlight, dude has a looooooong way to go. He is not violent with his hands at all. His rear was higher than his upper back on the slamming the pads on the ground lateral drill. He stepped on nearly every pad when doing high knees.

Dude has a long way to go.
Originally posted by LVJay:
That's great... I like mutants, especially X-Men. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are alright, too. From my observations, "mutants" develop faster than humans/normal humans.

I kinda thought he was a mutant, as well, but I didn't really want to say anything just yet. I'm glad you mentioned it, however. That's awesome, I'm not alone... still, is it just a notion or is it factual/is he indeed a "mutant" ??

I believe it to be true, but I don't think anyone will believe it and go public with it. I think the coaches will keep this under the cuff (TOP SECRET). Now, if that's the case, it's no wonder they snagged him... the FO must have been tipped off (after the draft) and knew they were getting over on the rest of the league. It's no wonder Tomsula is giving him all the attention, knowing that mutants develop faster than humans.

I wonder if he has any supernatural traits/gifts/powers... I wonder what his mutant age is, 3 yrs old, 10 or 15 yrs old

What will become of this Man-Child "Mutant" ????????

Anyone know if mutants are covered by the new CBA?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
He isn't just some 6'6 300lb guy. The guy is an Olympian. He became an Olympian in an event he only practiced for 2 years. Before that, he had never thrown a discuss before. So no, I don't know what you mean.

I would argue that it takes less skill to learn to throw a discuss, than it does to learn to play D-line. You're only doing one single repetitive motion throwing a discuss. On the D-line, you have a hundred different athletic movements to master to avoid being put on your 300lb ass.

I heard warren sapp say he only had two moves his entire Career. His best move and another Incase they stopped his first
You think keap will get him all tatted up
Originally posted by Joecool:
Wow, just watching his camp highlight, dude has a looooooong way to go. He is not violent with his hands at all. His rear was higher than his upper back on the slamming the pads on the ground lateral drill. He stepped on nearly every pad when doing high knees.

Yeah it looked like he was playing pat a cake with the pads.

I want to see dude trying to kill people with those big ass clubs of his.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yeah it looked like he was playing pat a cake with the pads.

I want to see dude trying to kill people with those big ass clubs of his.

Webzone's gonna crash if this guy doesn't see any action this year.
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
My prediction...

2 Years practice squad
2 years back up
1 year situation playing time
Next year full time starter

Much later....

Voted into the HOF

Not just the 49ers, but the NFL retires his number like the NHL did Gretzky.

OK, maybe I got carried away, but I bet you at a minimum he sees playing time at some point.

He did defer his acceptance into Oxford Law. I think if it takes too long to catch on, he'll move on.
I just hope that Okoye doesn't take too much of Tomsula's time, a lot of work needs to get done on this newly revamped DL.

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by 5280High:
The real question is how will he hold up to the mental aspect of trench warfare? Chop blocks, tackle traps, and crack backs aren't all that fun if you dont have that nasty all out mentality. D-line is mostly about muscle memory and leverage at its core, doesnt take a genius to read run or pass... but it does take a little bit of crazy to play in the trenches.

This is exactly it. If he has that nasty demeanor, he will succeed. It's as simple as that. That being said, tons of big dudes are softies in the nasty department so it's not a given.

If he hadn't also played rugby I might see this as a concern, but typically speaking, those dudes aren't softies.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CO9er4life:
You think keap will get him all tatted up

There is no keap on the 49ers.
[ Edited by buck on May 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]
It seems like the Niners Brass wants him on this team somehow, some way. The discus skills may be able to translate into a really strong/fast spin move (a la Dwight Freeney in his prime). Now, there's a lot of work to do, but it seems like there's just too much raw ability for him not to make the 53.

My concern is his hands don't seem to be violent (from the few clips I've seen). But, there's only so much he can improve each day. Obviously, he's got a LONG way to go, but it's exciting to think what he could potentially be, if he pans out.

Now, some have thought about him at OT or FB. I see FB making a lot of sense from the rugby background, but OT requires a lot of technique and time to develop. But at 6'6" 305 lbs, he's just too perfect to be a 3-4 penetrating DE.

But, he should be on 53. I don't want to see another team develop him.
I am sorry if I sound abrupt here, but I find it laughable some are questioning his toughness.

A lot of you mention rugby - have many of you actually sat down to watch a game? Incredibly tough, no pads, no helmets and the prospect of a 25 stone prop annihilating a 5'4" scrum half...legally.

Trust me, he is hard enough.

As a recap - he learnt the discus in two years and made the Olympic final. He is so intelligent, he received an unconditional offer to study law at Oxford University, one of the best universities in the world and the equal of your Harvard & Princeton.

Trust me, he will learn the game.

I would expect him to be on the practice squad for a year or so, but I would not be surprised if he sees game time in 2014. Time will tell.
[ Edited by EnglishNFLFan on May 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Now, some have thought about him at OT or FB.

It seems that the team signed him and gave him to Tomsula right away.

I have seen no indication that he is being considered at full back or offensive tackle.
Share 49ersWebzone