There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Those players have proven, even if only for one snap, one game, one week, that they can actually do something on a football field.
If Okoye had played for a year and demonstrated something similar to those guys, then he obviously would have been drafted. For right now, he is just "some guy" with big muscles.

For every Margus Hunt, there are probably 10 similar athletes who couldn't cut it in football. Of course, you only hear the success stories, you never hear about the "Margus Hunts" who had no talent for the game.

What is intriguing is his athletinc past. I would agree with you in almost any other case, but you have to wonder with this guy. He is with the right organization, to have the best chance.
with that discus swing i bet he can have a wicked swim move....
i guess its all a matter of what he does after he gets hit real hard.. does he cry to mama for crumpets or does he BEAST up and start knocking fools out
dude looks like he reeks of B.O.
I honestly think the skepticism is over the top. What are you guys worried about? That he's not going to know how to put on pads? That he's not going to know how to hit people? If he had ONE YEAR of college football with even mediocre production, he'd be a bigger version of Ansah. You guys really don't think he could have gone and racked up 5 sacks in the WAC last year?

People also keep saying stuff like "for every Hunt and Ansah, there are [insert hyperbolic number] raw foreign prospects who failed miserably at football." Who are these prospects? Any names? Are you accounting for the fact that Okoye is a superior athlete to just about every single DL currently playing in the NFL?
Low risk, potential high reward. What's the issue?

Dude is 6' 6" 300 with next to no body fat. Monsters.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Low risk, potential high reward. What's the issue?

Dude is 6' 6" 300 with next to no body fat. Monsters.

I say make him a tight end. He knows how to handle the ball from rugby.
My only concern with him is, how good does he feel he needs to become to turn down his acceptance to the Oxford school of law in 2017? It would suck for the team if he's turned into a good to above average player in the NFL and decides to leave.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I honestly think the skepticism is over the top. What are you guys worried about? That he's not going to know how to put on pads? That he's not going to know how to hit people? If he had ONE YEAR of college football with even mediocre production, he'd be a bigger version of Ansah. You guys really don't think he could have gone and racked up 5 sacks in the WAC last year?

People also keep saying stuff like "for every Hunt and Ansah, there are [insert hyperbolic number] raw foreign prospects who failed miserably at football." Who are these prospects? Any names? Are you accounting for the fact that Okoye is a superior athlete to just about every single DL currently playing in the NFL?

Even if this guy is a colossal flop.......................who cares? He didn't cost the 49ers a draft pick, they really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by offering him a shot.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Low risk, potential high reward. What's the issue?

Dude is 6' 6" 300 with next to no body fat. Monsters.

I say make him a tight end. He knows how to handle the ball from rugby.

Great, after a reception he will lateral it back to KW who will fumble it ....
Considering we tried Dobbs at TE and tried Tufuaku at FB, I don't think it's a stretch at all that we might see Okoye doing those things. I think they'll start him at DE because it will be easier to pick up and because that's what his current size is really prototypical for. We know Okoye was much slimmer before he started discus training. If the the whole Okoye experiment does pan out, I could see us trying to slim him down to work at TE.
6'6 300 pounds yeah im liking that. We also have the best Dline coach to get him caught up. Got the talent now we just got to get it out of him.
Isn't DE a very technical position to learn? Operating in small space with lots of hand fighting and leverage of the lower body.

How about as a monster short yardage back? Teach him to lower shoulders and BOOM! Flatten a LB for 2 yards running behind Iupati with Miller leading. He's already familiar with handling the rock. F=ma.
Oops I see FB has been brought up earlier in the thread.
Originally posted by thl408:
Isn't DE a very technical position to learn? Operating in small space with lots of hand fighting and leverage of the lower body.

How about as a monster short yardage back? Teach him to lower shoulders and BOOM! Flatten a LB for 2 yards running behind Iupati with Miller leading. He's already familiar with handling the rock. F=ma.

DE is technical to the extent learning football in general and any position is technical. If you want to think about dumbing it down as much as possible, I would imagine "Okay just get to the QB by any means necessary" is probably on par with "Okay take this ball and take it as far as you can." That is, I can talk myself into both of them being relatively "simple" but I'm really not sure.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by thl408:
Isn't DE a very technical position to learn? Operating in small space with lots of hand fighting and leverage of the lower body.

How about as a monster short yardage back? Teach him to lower shoulders and BOOM! Flatten a LB for 2 yards running behind Iupati with Miller leading. He's already familiar with handling the rock. F=ma.

DE is technical to the extent learning football in general and any position is technical. If you want to think about dumbing it down as much as possible, I would imagine "Okay just get to the QB by any means necessary" is probably on par with "Okay take this ball and take it as far as you can." That is, I can talk myself into both of them being relatively "simple" but I'm really not sure.

By that logic, just throw this ball to the open receiver. Or just get open and catch the ball. I'm referring to the non-dumbed down version. There's a lot of technique involved to being a DE as opposed to a short yardage back, imo. However, let me say that the last time I rushed a QB I was counting 'alligators'.
[ Edited by thl408 on Apr 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home