There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Ever play rugby? It's all about nasty.

Yes it is! It's probably the most fun I've ever had playing a sport.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Mentally I worry if he will stick with it. I think he has the drive to prove people wrong but I wonder how passionate he is about football and not just accomplishing goals in his life. He tried Rugby and moved on...He picked up Discuss in a 2 year span and made the olympics but appears to be shutting that door as well...
He's only 21 but he sounds like he has tons of options and a hard time sticking to one thing for the long haul. The UK article said he has a couple of years to decide if he's going to Oxford. I hope he does because it would be a great story for the Niners and him but he will be practice squad this year and maybe even the next. I hope he doesn't throw in the towel...

That actually doesn't worry me one bit. He played rugby as a child (a man-child, but still a child). He picked up discus at the age of 18 and ran with the opportunity. I think he feels that he can do something greater than throw a frisbee in the Olympics every 4 years (of course there are other competitions and all). I think he views the NFL as a place to test his athleticism against the greatest athletes in the world in a sport that gets a huge spotlight. Just because he's done different things, doesn't mean he's a scatterbrain. In fact, it sounds like he's given this a lot of thought.

Like I said, my biggest worry is his ability to turn on that switch that makes you an animal between the lines. If he can, I have little doubt he will succeed.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He appears to have all the boxes checked physically. The big question is will be able to handle the aggression and the gladiator culture. I think he's either going to do way better than expected or give it up two days into full contact. No in between.

Totally agree with this (although he may last a bit longer than two days). The biggest question mark is how nasty he can be. So much of this game is about mental fortitude.
Mentally I worry if he will stick with it. I think he has the drive to prove people wrong but I wonder how passionate he is about football and not just accomplishing goals in his life. He tried Rugby and moved on...He picked up Discuss in a 2 year span and made the olympics but appears to be shutting that door as well...
He's only 21 but he sounds like he has tons of options and a hard time sticking to one thing for the long haul. The UK article said he has a couple of years to decide if he's going to Oxford. I hope he does because it would be a great story for the Niners and him but he will be practice squad this year and maybe even the next. I hope he doesn't throw in the towel...
Money.

Speaking of which, if he doesn't make the roster or practice squad this year, can Jed put him on a personal contract so Okoye can be paid living expenses while he learns? If so, I imagine that would mean he still couldn't work out at the Niners' Santa Clara facility.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by thenovemberrain:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by wireman:
OK the coach loves a good running game. lawerence is/was a rugby player who is fast and huge tackle this guy at goal line.

Is he playing rugby with children? Is this the so called "rugby" experience this man possesses?
And some say he wasn't even that GOOD at beating up on children?! (read the comments section)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2188572/Lawrence-Okoye-considers-rugby-return.html
"Had a friend who played against him and said he was nothing special at all, no footwork and surprisingly not as strong as you'd expect. Maybe he should go and take the place at Oxford he had, because I know plenty of people that would turn down a place at one of the world's best universities in return for the money and glory of being a discuss thrower... or not."

When I played high school football, there was a monstrous man-child on the team, little body fat, big muscles; but he didn't start, and he wasn't that good. A bunch of big muscles means very little if that is all you got. I bet he doesn't even make it to training camp.
I want him to be a Hall-of-Fame player of course, but please.

I wouldn't put much stock in what some random person says in a comments section, especially hearsay.

Especially from DailyMail

To put it in perspective the Daily Mail is a UK rag. Take the commentary with a grain of salt. Baalke and Harbaugh will find talent and leave no stone unturned.

And he's an UDFA. What's there to lose?
Don't teams get 1 roster exemption for the overseas game?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye

I am now officially a #49er! pic.twitter.com/CR2ihvMaXH

what a fat f**k
Originally posted by Jcool:
Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye

Why are the office's walls and carpet blue?
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM ]
Discussing the 49ers past success, Okoye referred to "Jerry Rice and Joe Marino."
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Discussing the 49ers past success, Okoye referred to "Jerry Rice and Joe Marino."

lol

I don't see this guys succeeding in the NFL. He's going up against some of the best athletes at any position, and they have been playing football for most of their adult life. But good luck to him all the same.
What protection do teams have for their practice squad players? I know another team can snatch them up, but does the team they're on have any sort of leverage? Like, let's say the Falcons come knocking and say, "hey, Okoye, you're signing with us." Can the 49ers step in, put Okoye on their 53-man roster and 'block' this move? Or is there minimal/zero protection for a player on your squad?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye

Why are the office's walls and carpet blue?

because hes in georgia and the contract was faxed
Originally posted by theduke85:
What protection do teams have for their practice squad players? I know another team can snatch them up, but does the team they're on have any sort of leverage? Like, let's say the Falcons come knocking and say, "hey, Okoye, you're signing with us." Can the 49ers step in, put Okoye on their 53-man roster and 'block' this move? Or is there minimal/zero protection for a player on your squad?

There isn't any real protection, but players can choose to stay on the PS with their team. Just because another team is interested doesn't mean that the player will leave. Most players do because being on the active roster usually plays better and they have a better chance of getting game experience but not all players leave. I believe a few of our PS players had interest from other teams but decided to stay with the Niners.

The way I understand it, the team that pick him up from our PS has to put him on their active roster. Being that he's so inexperience, I don't see that happening. And I think he has the rights to refuse and remain with the Niners as a PS player. Some one google the info. I want to know for sure too.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

The way I understand it, the team that pick him up from our PS has to put him on their active roster. Being that he's so inexperience, I don't see that happening. And I think he has the rights to refuse and remain with the Niners as a PS player. Some one google the info. I want to know for sure too.

This, any team that wants him needs to create a roster spot for him... not gonna happen with zero experience. He also can choose to stay in SF and refuse to move to another teams active roster. Ricardo Lockette refused multiple teams offers last year to stay on SF's practice squad.