There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by wireman:
OK the coach loves a good running game. lawerence is/was a rugby player who is fast and huge tackle this guy at goal line.

He's carrying the ball. He's running away from potential tacklers. These are football skills. So, I agree that concentrating his lessons on being a short yardage FB would be his fastest entry to a roster. Then teach him short yardage defensive line play. Then teach him field goal special teams defensive line like field goal attempts. Even at this, it would be optimistic to believe he can make the roster this year. Still, with this course, he might challenge Anthony Dixon for a spot.

Let's hope he doesn't get the hand-off and kick it through the uprights.

Still counts as 3 points, bet he could have Akers type numbers.......
Man i cant remeber when ive been dying for training camps OTA's all camps to start!! Cant wait to.see.our new guys suited.up! Especially LAW OKoYE.. hahha guy gonna look like a beast in pads!!!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/29/lawrence-okoye-49ers-nfl-draft-menelik-watson

Good article, apparently Coach Tomsula told him JSmith would mentor him. Looks like him will be given the best opportunity in the league.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
OK the coach loves a good running game. lawerence is/was a rugby player who is fast and huge tackle this guy at goal line.

Is he playing rugby with children? Is this the so called "rugby" experience this man possesses?
And some say he wasn't even that GOOD at beating up on children?! (read the comments section)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2188572/Lawrence-Okoye-considers-rugby-return.html
"Had a friend who played against him and said he was nothing special at all, no footwork and surprisingly not as strong as you'd expect. Maybe he should go and take the place at Oxford he had, because I know plenty of people that would turn down a place at one of the world's best universities in return for the money and glory of being a discuss thrower... or not."

When I played high school football, there was a monstrous man-child on the team, little body fat, big muscles; but he didn't start, and he wasn't that good. A bunch of big muscles means very little if that is all you got. I bet he doesn't even make it to training camp.
I want him to be a Hall-of-Fame player of course, but please.

I wouldn't put much stock in what some random person says in a comments section, especially hearsay.

Especially from DailyMail
He appears to have all the boxes checked physically. The big question is will be able to handle the aggression and the gladiator culture. I think he's either going to do way better than expected or give it up two days into full contact. No in between.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL....this. If you're going to play in the NFL after having never played football in your entire life, the easiest positions to pick up are running back and defensive line.

The Nigerian Nightmare showed up and became a productive RB for the Chiefs for a few years as well as the best built in cheat in Tecmo Super Bowl without having played football at any level. Anything can happen and with Okoye's natural athletic ability and being coached up how to play the RIGHT WAY from the get-go, who knows what he can develop into.

D-line is pretty damn simple from a playbook point of view. Which gap is your responsibility is pretty much all you gotta cover.

from a physical standpoint, twists, stunts, leverage, tackling, spin moves, rip moves, bull rushes and the ability to develop counter attacks should the O-lineman defend the initial move is difficult... it can take a few years to develop this. NFL offensive linemen arent easily fooled. It has to be drilled so hard that it becomes instinctive. There is a reason why D-line players dont peak until about 28-32 years of age.
I bet he has a sick spin move from all that discus throwing
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
I bet he has a sick spin move from all that discus throwing

should put him at qb
This signing is nothing but a marketing stunt to gain homefield advantage in England against the jags
Originally posted by Sikh408:
This signing is nothing but a marketing stunt to gain homefield advantage in England against the jags

no need, Niners already have a far bigger fan base here in the UK. When the NFL first gained popularity over here in the 80s the Niners were, like now, a marquee side.

it's why my dad and consequently me became fans.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He appears to have all the boxes checked physically. The big question is will be able to handle the aggression and the gladiator culture. I think he's either going to do way better than expected or give it up two days into full contact. No in between.

Totally agree with this (although he may last a bit longer than two days). The biggest question mark is how nasty he can be. So much of this game is about mental fortitude.

Totally agree with this (although he may last a bit longer than two days). The biggest question mark is how nasty he can be. So much of this game is about mental fortitude.
Ever play rugby? It's all about nasty.
Originally posted by Sikh408:

Ansah and Hunt have similar stories and both got drafted high with minimal football experience. Any human on the planet right now that is under 23, 6'6" and over 300 pounds while being able to run a sub 4.8 40 time, while displaying almost every measurable a team would want would likely have the nfl sniffing around. You just don't go to walmart and find a guy like this. Not like there is a lot of risk involved for the niners.

Mentally I worry if he will stick with it. I think he has the drive to prove people wrong but I wonder how passionate he is about football and not just accomplishing goals in his life. He tried Rugby and moved on...He picked up Discuss in a 2 year span and made the olympics but appears to be shutting that door as well...
He's only 21 but he sounds like he has tons of options and a hard time sticking to one thing for the long haul. The UK article said he has a couple of years to decide if he's going to Oxford. I hope he does because it would be a great story for the Niners and him but he will be practice squad this year and maybe even the next. I hope he doesn't throw in the towel...
Originally posted by thenovemberrain:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Is he playing rugby with children? Is this the so called "rugby" experience this man possesses?
And some say he wasn't even that GOOD at beating up on children?! (read the comments section)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2188572/Lawrence-Okoye-considers-rugby-return.html
"Had a friend who played against him and said he was nothing special at all, no footwork and surprisingly not as strong as you'd expect. Maybe he should go and take the place at Oxford he had, because I know plenty of people that would turn down a place at one of the world's best universities in return for the money and glory of being a discuss thrower... or not."

When I played high school football, there was a monstrous man-child on the team, little body fat, big muscles; but he didn't start, and he wasn't that good. A bunch of big muscles means very little if that is all you got. I bet he doesn't even make it to training camp.
I want him to be a Hall-of-Fame player of course, but please.

I wouldn't put much stock in what some random person says in a comments section, especially hearsay.

Especially from DailyMail

To put it in perspective the Daily Mail is a UK rag. Take the commentary with a grain of salt. Baalke and Harbaugh will find talent and leave no stone unturned.