There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by buck:
On the explosive power index Okoye rating is 1.13 which is the highest of any defensive linemen in the draft.

Any value over 1.05 is considered elite. Sheldon Richardson had a 1.04; Nick Williams- 1.05, Brandon Williams-1.09

On the speed score metric, which adjusts the 40 time using weight and height, Okoye gets a 117.01. Wide receiver Patterson had a 113.7.

The true freak of nature is Lane Johnson. Johnson had a 1.221.

Okoye clearly has the physical capability required. His athletic background suggests he has the required drive and determination.

The rise of Ziggy Ansah and Menelik Watson suggest that Okoye could be a serviceable player relatively quickly.

Being trained by Jim Tomsula, working alongside of Justin Smith, and under the oversight of Vic Fangio, it is not unreasonable to think that this young man could become a good player in around two years.

There are no guarantees, and much is going to depend on if he has a mean streak, and how deep that streak runs.

Interesting post. I have no idea what those numbers mean but it sounds pretty good!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The only real downside I see with this guy is that he's got a real short attention span. He dedicated himself to rugby, got into, did well for a few years....decided he wanted to do discus....dedicated himself to it for a few years..did really well, went to the Olympics and then..........moved on to football.....meanwhile he's given interviews in the UK stating that he'll get back to discus again at some point in the future.
I agree motivation may appear to be an issue but he wanted to compete at a home olympics and so took up discus, I doubt football was really on his mind until the try outs as the pathway into the NFL from the UK is virtually non-existent, the opportunity has presented itself so he's gone all in. I worry that being on the practice squad and out of the picture a bit may dull his enthusiasm but we'll have to wait and see.

DL is a good fit for him, obviously it's still very technical but he can pin his ears back a bit and try and utilise his natural athleticism.
Kentwan Balmer 2.0
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Interesting post. I have no idea what those numbers mean but it sounds pretty good!

This should help

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/2/26/4031054/nfl-combine-2013-tale-of-the-tape-making-sense-of-the-defensive-end
Originally posted by wireman:
OK the coach loves a good running game. lawerence is/was a rugby player who is fast and huge tackle this guy at goal line.

Is he playing rugby with children? Is this the so called "rugby" experience this man possesses?
And some say he wasn't even that GOOD at beating up on children?! (read the comments section)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2188572/Lawrence-Okoye-considers-rugby-return.html
"Had a friend who played against him and said he was nothing special at all, no footwork and surprisingly not as strong as you'd expect. Maybe he should go and take the place at Oxford he had, because I know plenty of people that would turn down a place at one of the world's best universities in return for the money and glory of being a discuss thrower... or not."

When I played high school football, there was a monstrous man-child on the team, little body fat, big muscles; but he didn't start, and he wasn't that good. A bunch of big muscles means very little if that is all you got. I bet he doesn't even make it to training camp.
I want him to be a Hall-of-Fame player of course, but please.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM ]
he played rugby at Under 20 level.

It's not just muscles though, he can move quick.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
OK the coach loves a good running game. lawerence is/was a rugby player who is fast and huge tackle this guy at goal line.

Is he playing rugby with children? Is this the so called "rugby" experience this man possesses?
And some say he wasn't even that GOOD at beating up on children?! (read the comments section)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2188572/Lawrence-Okoye-considers-rugby-return.html
"Had a friend who played against him and said he was nothing special at all, no footwork and surprisingly not as strong as you'd expect. Maybe he should go and take the place at Oxford he had, because I know plenty of people that would turn down a place at one of the world's best universities in return for the money and glory of being a discuss thrower... or not."

When I played high school football, there was a monstrous man-child on the team, little body fat, big muscles; but he didn't start, and he wasn't that good. A bunch of big muscles means very little if that is all you got. I bet he doesn't even make it to training camp.

If they're children then he's a child. Look what he looked like as a child. He was 17 or 18 in that pic, same as the others.

He's physically freakish and worth spending nothing more than some time and effort on.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
If they're children then he's a child. Look what he looked like as a child. He was 17 or 18 in that pic, same as the others.

He's physically freakish and worth spending nothing more than some time and effort on.

He's a mutant. I don't care if he was 3 years old in that pick. With his grotesque physical advantage, he should have dominated. If he can't utterly dominate against teenagers, what the heck is he going to do against Mike Iupati?
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

I wouldn't put much stock in what some random person says in a comments section, especially hearsay.

His remarks seem rather mature for a 20 something year old. Perhaps some new athletic handlers will help him achieve his athletic goals and solidify his career aspirations. The sooner the circus atmosphere leaves town, the better for this guy and the 9er staff.

Really interesting link to combine testing, buck.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
His remarks seem rather mature for a 20 something year old. Perhaps some new athletic handlers will help him achieve his athletic goals and solidify his career aspirations. The sooner the circus atmosphere leaves town, the better for this guy and the 9er staff.

Really interesting link to combine testing, buck.

Where are you getting this stuff?

He's carrying the ball. He's running away from potential tacklers. These are football skills. So, I agree that concentrating his lessons on being a short yardage FB would be his fastest entry to a roster. Then teach him short yardage defensive line play. Then teach him field goal special teams defensive line like field goal attempts. Even at this, it would be optimistic to believe he can make the roster this year. Still, with this course, he might challenge Anthony Dixon for a spot.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

He's carrying the ball. He's running away from potential tacklers. These are football skills. So, I agree that concentrating his lessons on being a short yardage FB would be his fastest entry to a roster. Then teach him short yardage defensive line play. Then teach him field goal special teams defensive line like field goal attempts. Even at this, it would be optimistic to believe he can make the roster this year. Still, with this course, he might challenge Anthony Dixon for a spot.

Let's hope he doesn't get the hand-off and kick it through the uprights.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

LOL....this. If you're going to play in the NFL after having never played football in your entire life, the easiest positions to pick up are running back and defensive line.

The Nigerian Nightmare showed up and became a productive RB for the Chiefs for a few years as well as the best built in cheat in Tecmo Super Bowl without having played football at any level. Anything can happen and with Okoye's natural athletic ability and being coached up how to play the RIGHT WAY from the get-go, who knows what he can develop into.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]