There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I'll be shocked if he even makes the practice squad.

this

You guys think the staff will give up on him after one year of tc? The coaches realize he hasn't played football before so he has work to do, I highly doubt they say f**k it and let those measureables go. He's a project for a few years worth molding and with his drive and commitment it's worth working with the kid

If he is learning quickly for a player who has never played football, they will definitely keep him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Don't really see the fascination with this guy, all hes got going for him is 6'6" 300, other than that he hasn't even played a meaningful game before.

It is rather fascinating. The odds are against him. Heck, he has not even played a meaningless game before.

I do not have any idea if he will make the team, but I find it fascinating and wish him the best of luck.
Originally posted by buck:
You want to lock a thread about a member of the team, because you do not think he will last long on the team.

That is bloody wanking preposterous.

By the way, Renaldo Nehemiah played three years for the 49ers.
He played in 40 games had 43 receptions for 754 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Compare him to Kyle Williams.

Williams has played three years for the 49ers.
He has played in 29 games has 35 receptions for 461 yards and 4 scores.

Stop raging dude.

I am facetious about locking the thread.

But it's not a bad idea to prevent a lot of aimless speculation about a guy who just may simply decide he doesn't want to get beat up for a living.

Thanks for showing me up on the Nehemiah thing too. What's the point of comparing Nehemiah, an expensive bust, with Kyle Williams whose most recent season was cut short with a knee injury? I don't get it. All I'm saying is that the worlds best 440 hurdler came into camp with combine numbers to die for and eventually decided he really wasn't into getting smacked in the face.

It's a "risk" for those who come into football late. ALthough, really, it's common sense for most people with other wage earning options.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
You want to lock a thread about a member of the team, because you do not think he will last long on the team.

Stop raging dude.

But it's not a bad idea to prevent a lot of aimless speculation about a guy who just may simply decide he doesn't want to get beat up for a living.

Thanks for showing me up on the Nehemiah thing too. What's the point of comparing Nehemiah, an expensive bust, with Kyle Williams whose most recent season was cut short with a knee injury? I don't get it. All I'm saying is that the worlds best 440 hurdler came into camp with combine numbers to die for and eventually decided he really wasn't into getting smacked in the face.

It's a "risk" for those who come into football late. ALthough, really, it's common sense for most people with other wage earning options.

With the draft ending and UDFAs signing... Speculation is all there is.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
2 guys this year just got drafted who just picked football up 3 years ago......Ansah and Margus Hunt and Margus Hunt was another discus thrower...........correction.....3 players this draft, Menilik Watson is from Britain and just picked up football 2 years ago.
[ Edited by jimrat on Apr 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM ]

Stop raging dude.

Except that Okoye has already been "smacked in the face" when he played rugby so I don't see how your point is valid.

Just settle down new guy and let the mods mod.
He's the same age as Margus Hunt was when he started playing football and there were plenty of people who went nuts over him, so I don't really see the big deal, I think they can coach this guy, stash him on the practice squad, let him learn and see what happens, if he doesn't turn into a quality player, then send him off on his merry way back to England.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
He isn't just some 6'6 300lb guy. The guy is an Olympian. He became an Olympian in an event he only practiced for 2 years. Before that, he had never thrown a discuss before. So no, I don't know what you mean.

He might decide that he has better options to make a living than getting beat on by guys who are bigger than he is. Thats what I mean. At least we should wait a bit to let him decide for himself before assuming that he naturally is driven to be football legend. It's quite a reasonable decision to make. 35 year old players make it all the time.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Except that Okoye has already been "smacked in the face" when he played rugby so I don't see how your point is valid.

Just settle down new guy and let the mods mod.

I bet he never faced a rugby field where his competition weighed 320 lbs. you don't mind if I post my views do you? I'll ask a moderators permission first, if that's alright with your lordship.
Overreacting much?

Harbaugh likes him a lot. That should be enough. Stupid to write him off 24hrs after notice of signing as an UDFA. He impressed at the Super Combine. Not like he is needed on the team ASAP. He is also on record saying that he might end up the practice squad for awhile and he is cool with that. I think the coaches also like his attitude and drive to learn. He played rugby which is very physical and requires a lot of stamina. Low risk high reward.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Stop raging dude.

I thought the idea of locking the thread was both outrageous and preposterous--and still do.

You still think locking the thread is a good idea--I still disagree.

You brought Renaldo into the discussion.
Nehemiah eventually gave up the game, but that was a long eventually; he did play for three years/

You might consider checking your facts.

Renaldo was not the world's best 440 hurdler.
He dominated the 110 meter high hurdles; set the world record and was the first man to run 110 highs under 13 seconds.
All his records were in the high hurdles. He set world records in 50 meter, 55m, 50 yard, and 60 yard high hurdles. .
He could be like Michael Carter, which would be fantastic.
I bet he never faced a rugby field where his competition weighed 320 lbs. you don't mind if I post my views do you? I'll ask a moderators permission first, if that's alright with your lordship.

Your last 2 sentences are comical since you were indeed asking mods to prevent others from doing just that.
this guy will be a MONSTER
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Funny man-- yes, he is a black European.

Well, I think he is an European.

He was born in England; he is English. But, I am never sure if the English consider themselves Europeans.

It gets even more complicated. He is also British and holds the British discus record.

But, he was on the English Olympic team; there is no British Olympic team.

It's the other way round....England, Wales, Scotland, ans N. Ireland play separately in soccer and other sports, but as the "Great Britain" team for the Olympics

Thank you for the correction. I really do get confused with differences between the English and British.