LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
In Harbaugh, Fangio, and Tomsula I trust. He may not play this year, but if this kid can soak it all in he'll eventually be an opposing team's nightmare.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
oh ok so he's an olympian and never played football before? Rugby do'nt count. He's 6'6 306 then he's gonna need to learn leverage 1st and foremost but who has time for ametuer hour when the 49ers will be competing for a Super Bowl?

Tomsula has time--and he gets paid for it.

He has experience coaching Europeans how to play football.

But he's black
He'll be our ambassador/tour guide for the London game (if he makes the practice squad/reserves list)
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for frozen49er.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Don't really see the fascination with this guy, all hes got going for him is 6'6" 300, other than that he hasn't even played a meaningful game before.

You can teach a 21 year old bright Olymian how to play football. You cannot teach his measurables. The guy is a rare athlete.

Teaching him how to play football is one thing, learning the play book and consistent technique/leverage at the NFL level is a whole new world, especially if he doesn't have football experience.

He wants to be a 49er, has 2 years with insanely good coaches, a willingness to learn. Nothing to lose here. How hard can it be to teach a freak athlete to "find ball, smash ball carrier"? I dont think he will ever be a Watt or an AllDone, but he has the tools, wants to learn. We risk nothing with him here.

Win or Lose, with his talents, I'm just glad we signed him instead of SEA, just in case he turns into something.
Don't really see the fascination with this guy, all hes got going for him is 6'6" 300, other than that he hasn't even played a meaningful game before.

That's what they said about him in the discus throwing field. 2 years later, he's world ranked and in the olympics. Wonder what he can do with football with 2 years of intense training and tutelage from our coaches.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
oh ok so he's an olympian and never played football before? Rugby do'nt count. He's 6'6 306 then he's gonna need to learn leverage 1st and foremost but who has time for ametuer hour when the 49ers will be competing for a Super Bowl?

Tomsula has time--and he gets paid for it.

He has experience coaching Europeans how to play football.

But he's black

Funny man-- yes, he is a black European.

Well, I think he is an European.

He was born in England; he is English. But, I am never sure if the English consider themselves Europeans.

It gets even more complicated. He is also British and holds the British discus record.

But, he was on the English Olympic team; there is no British Olympic team.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM ]
Originally posted by ubaisore:

He also has a 4.7 40 time, a track record of learning something new and excelling (see 3 years from starting learning to Olympics) . And he got accepted to Oxford Law School... so he is definitely intelligent.... there have been guys that go to college for 2 years and "learn" football that probably don't have half the drive and smarts this kid has

40 times don't mean much or if anything playing as a down-lineman. Show me players in the NFL that didn't have football experience and was successful at the NFL level??

Being 6'6" 300 pounds is cool and all, but in case most of you didn't notice its not a rarity to be that size now days in the NFL.

Dick "night train" Lane and Tony Gonzalez didn't play college ball, and you could argue that they are the greatest players at their position.
Although I'm sure both played in high school,etc.

The 5th pick Ziggy Ansah had just one year of football at BYU I believe.

With Okoye's aptitude to master discus within 3 years and Tomsula"s rep as one of the best d-line coaches, it's hard not to be optimistic that
we've found a diamond in the rough.

And it's more his short area quickness and movement skills than the 40 time, IMO, that's exciting.
They had less than a year to teach his first lesson "How to wear a pad" to his final lesson "how wear a ring".

This.

Look. The biggest issue is the obvious one -- he has never played football.

A lot of guys who think they want to play football who have never played football wind up deciding that they would rather not be playing football after they have played football.

Know what I mean? Just like Nehemiah.

I think this thread should be locked until the 3rd or 4th week of camp. If he hasn't packed his bags we'll see where we are.
Funny man-- yes, he is a black European.

Well, I think he is an European.

He was born in England; he is English. But, I am never sure if the English consider themselves Europeans.

It gets even more complicated. He is also British and holds the British discus record.

But, he was on the English Olympic team; there is no British Olympic team.

It's the other way round....England, Wales, Scotland, ans N. Ireland play separately in soccer and other sports, but as the "Great Britain" team for the Olympics

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This.

A lot of guys who think they want to play football who have never played football wind up deciding that they would rather not be playing football after they have played football.

I think this thread should be locked until the 3rd or 4th week of camp. If he hasn't packed his bags we'll see where we are.

You want to lock a thread about a member of the team, because you do not think he will last long on the team.

That is bloody wanking preposterous.

By the way, Renaldo Nehemiah played three years for the 49ers.
He played in 40 games had 43 receptions for 754 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Compare him to Kyle Williams.

Williams has played three years for the 49ers.
He has played in 29 games has 35 receptions for 461 yards and 4 scores.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM ]
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I'll be shocked if he even makes the practice squad.

this
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mtminer:
Dick "night train" Lane and Tony Gonzalez didn't play college ball, and you could argue that they are the greatest players at their position.
Although I'm sure both played in high school,etc.

The 5th pick Ziggy Ansah had just one year of football at BYU I believe.

With Okoye's aptitude to master discus within 3 years and Tomsula"s rep as one of the best d-line coaches, it's hard not to be optimistic that
we've found a diamond in the rough.

And it's more his short area quickness and movement skills than the 40 time, IMO, that's exciting.

Tony Gonzalez was a tight end at Cal--and from what I saw he was a better tight end than power forward.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I'll be shocked if he even makes the practice squad.

this

You guys think the staff will give up on him after one year of tc? The coaches realize he hasn't played football before so he has work to do, I highly doubt they say f**k it and let those measureables go. He's a project for a few years worth molding and with his drive and commitment it's worth working with the kid
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

This.

He isn't just some 6'6 300lb guy. The guy is an Olympian. He became an Olympian in an event he only practiced for 2 years. Before that, he had never thrown a discuss before. So no, I don't know what you mean.
Share 49ersWebzone