LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
I know he is a bit of a long shot, but I am very intrigued to follow his progress after hearing him on that youtube video and seeing how he approaches challenges. I am really pulling for this kid.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
oh ok so he's an olympian and never played football before? Rugby do'nt count. He's 6'6 306 then he's gonna need to learn leverage 1st and foremost but who has time for ametuer hour when the 49ers will be competing for a Super Bowl?

Who has time for amateur hour? How about undrafted free agents? Go back and read the thread; it has all the specifics on his physical numbers and athletic background. I can't think of a better lottery ticket type acquisition.
oh ok so he's an olympian and never played football before? Rugby do'nt count. He's 6'6 306 then he's gonna need to learn leverage 1st and foremost but who has time for ametuer hour when the 49ers will be competing for a Super Bowl?

Well, that's the thing. He's got very high potential, but there's also a huge chance he never amounts to anything. The thing is though, there's very little risk on the 49ers' end.
I'll be shocked if he even makes the practice squad.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Anyone kind of hoping they try him out at TE? Probably more opportunity there, and with his combination of size/speed/power, and his rugby background, he could be very interesting at TE - especially in the Red Zone.

D-line gives him a better chance, being a rugby player and all - over power your opponent and kill the person with the ball. A lot simpler than learn how to run patterns, read defenses, how to catch the ball properly, offensive play book etc. D-line has a shallower learning curve for his skill set. IMO

Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6'6" 306 lbs. Olympic world class athlete. 4.7's in the 40. My goodness..... Maybe we can teach him how to play. He's a worthwhile project.

So excited about this pick. This is the ultimate very low risk/HIGHHHH reward signing.

This x2.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Don't really see the fascination with this guy, all hes got going for him is 6'6" 300, other than that he hasn't even played a meaningful game before.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Don't really see the fascination with this guy, all hes got going for him is 6'6" 300, other than that he hasn't even played a meaningful game before.

I hear you Kolohe, but if he doesn't pan out, what did we loose? nothing, low, low risk, high reward.
Okoye is a guy they will bring along slowly and stash on the practice squad. He can work on technique and mechanics all year and then have a real shot at the roster next year.

He also has a 4.7 40 time, a track record of learning something new and excelling (see 3 years from starting learning to Olympics) . And he got accepted to Oxford Law School... so he is definitely intelligent.... there have been guys that go to college for 2 years and "learn" football that probably don't have half the drive and smarts this kid has

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AmpLee:

You can teach a 21 year old bright Olymian how to play football. You cannot teach his measurables. The guy is a rare athlete.

Teaching him how to play football is one thing, learning the play book and consistent technique/leverage at the NFL level is a whole new world, especially if he doesn't have football experience.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ubaisore:

He also has a 4.7 40 time, a track record of learning something new and excelling (see 3 years from starting learning to Olympics) . And he got accepted to Oxford Law School... so he is definitely intelligent.... there have been guys that go to college for 2 years and "learn" football that probably don't have half the drive and smarts this kid has

40 times don't mean much or if anything playing as a down-lineman. Show me players in the NFL that didn't have football experience and was successful at the NFL level??

Being 6'6" 300 pounds is cool and all, but in case most of you didn't notice its not a rarity to be that size now days in the NFL.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Tomsula has time--and he gets paid for it.

He has experience coaching Europeans how to play football.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Anyone kind of hoping they try him out at TE? Probably more opportunity there, and with his combination of size/speed/power, and his rugby background, he could be very interesting at TE - especially in the Red Zone.

D-line gives him a better chance, being a rugby player and all - over power your opponent and kill the person with the ball. A lot simpler than learn how to run patterns, read defenses, how to catch the ball properly, offensive play book etc. D-line has a shallower learning curve for his skill set. IMO

Possibly.

However, he's more intelligent than the average cretan who just wants to kill the other guy. He might pick up the games nuances where pattern recognition is important. Try him out at multiple positions.

I admit, I did think TE. But also the OL. With his athleticism and power, he could stonewall a DLineman's bull or speed rush. Maybe.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I guarantee Okoye makes the team. DE/TE/FB, something will stick early.

Yeah, we're creative enough to find a place for him. He is a RARE athlete with a good head on his shoulders.

I hope that he has a mean streak. That big, that fast, smart, and mean--could become something good.
Share 49ersWebzone