LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by REB4:
In retrospect, I wish Tomsula had spent his time coaching up TCarradine instead because there's absolutely no excuse for him to not know the playbook his second year. A coaching failure there. Just because JT felt a personal connection to European players doesn't mean he should neglect the guys that are expected to contribute immediately.
lol...these guys are really trying hard to hate...lol
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
In retrospect, I wish Tomsula had spent his time coaching up TCarradine instead because there's absolutely no excuse for him to not know the playbook his second year. A coaching failure there. Just because JT felt a personal connection to European players doesn't mean he should neglect the guys that are expected to contribute immediately.

What would lead you to believe he neglected tank? I highly doubt that's the case.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

If you guys haven't noticed, there's a very clear agenda from this poster. I wouldn't even bother.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

What would lead you to believe he neglected tank? I highly doubt that's the case.

If you guys haven't noticed, there's a very clear agenda from this poster. I wouldn't even bother.
idk how mods let it keep going..its not even opinions anymore ..
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
He is strong, you have to give him that. For those that need a conversion, that is around 460 lbs

how much you bench bro?

Damn that's how I feel after only 225......this guy just does 460. Thanks okoye guess I will go back to hating myself
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
you would think that 2 full seasons and 3 full off-seasons for a premier athlete who works out trains and studies would be enough to give his mind and football knowledge time to catch up to his body....maybe not though..I guess we'll see...

This was the year most thought he would have a realistic shot anyways. If you look at Margus Hunt as the example of an olympic crossover athlete, he didn't make a legitimate impact in the opponents backfield till his 3rd year at SMU.

Still a longshot though.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Mar 26, 2015 at 8:44 PM ]
Cut bait man. Roster spot and #98 could be used by someone else. Hasn't shown much in 2 years and longshot on a team that needs proven talent. Good bye already.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Cut bait man. Roster spot and #98 could be used by someone else. Hasn't shown much in 2 years and longshot on a team that needs proven talent. Good bye already.

Lol! I hear you, but......

This is Sula's project tho and Fangio isn't around to stop him from letting Okoye showcase any hidden talent (if any). He'll probably let him get a lot of snaps during preseason. I'm okay with that. If he proves that he belongs, then that's a solid for us. Dude looked like he had a good bull rush developing, to say the least.
Originally posted by LVJay:

This is Sula's project tho and Fangio isn't around to stop him from letting Okoye showcase any hidden talent (if any). He'll probably let him get a lot of snaps during preseason. I'm okay with that. If he proves that he belongs, then that's a solid for us. Dude looked like he had a good bull rush developing, to say the least.
he was taking up two OL before Dial came crashing down on his knee
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

That's sick / encouraging. That vid above was uploaded in 2011 on youtube. I'm guessing he can bench more than that by now. Besides upper body, what else can he work out on while nursing a busted leg?

That's sick / encouraging. That vid above was uploaded in 2011 on youtube. I'm guessing he can bench more than that by now. Besides upper body, what else can he work out on while nursing a busted leg?
he just needs more real game snaps

• LVJay
  • Veteran

yup, I believe that too... same with Tank / Hyde.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bors:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
He is strong, you have to give him that. For those that need a conversion, that is around 460 lbs

how much you bench bro?

Damn that's how I feel after only 225......this guy just does 460. Thanks okoye guess I will go back to hating myself

Lol, some guys can't even bench their own body weight. 225 isn't bad

Dude is just a natural beast...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

my god,, i can not believe what this guy has reduced poster 49 to

Originally posted by 49erphan:
Interview with Joe Staley:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/08/14/joe-staley/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: kawakami-merc (Talking Points with Tim Kawakami)

-Q: What do you think about those young D-linemen–Carradine, Okoye, Dial?

-STALEY: I've been going up against Tank and Okoye, both those guys have impressed me with their strength. You definitely have to come off the snap 100% every time against those guys because they've made some plays where they've put some guys back.

So they've definitely been working hard in the off-season to work their strength up.

I think Okoye in particular has impressed me just with how far he's come from last year. I mean, last year he didn't know what to do, ever. Now he's firing off with confidence, knows what gap to fill, and he doesn't look like he doesn't belong on the field. He's a football player. I've been very impressed with him.

The rest of the interview is interesting as well.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Just reviewed the tape. He had a very good day (better than I first reallized) and probably the most consistent of all the DL today.

98 Lawrence Okoye – First play he fired up field at RDE and pinched outside/in forcing the RB inside (good) for a Moody tackle of 1 yard. Next play faked outside, in chasing the QB 12 yards back on a pressure (very well done; great hand work). Next play, got low initially (good), but raised up (bad) and as a result, got pushed backwards badly by #77 through the entire play. He quickly learns on the next play and pushes upfield, disengages the same blocker and makes a ½ tackle for a ½ a yard gain on 2nd and goal from the 5. Good push and handwork on the next play. Monster push up the field on the next series and a blitz off his edge lead to a quick throw and an INT by Cook (had great leverage). Next series, nice push again, played off two blockers and nearly knocked down a pass (good awareness). Another good push on the next but quick pass. Next play he played high and got pinched inside, got spun around and pushed back as the RB hit his hole for a first down for 8. It was actually a double team…G pushed his arms up high and at the same time the T fired down into his rib cage and got him spinning and going backwards. That's a hell of a technique…do we do that? Next play he needed to continue to slide down the line like he was doing but play off the block just a tad quicker to make the tackle; The NT Purcell had already been pushed back FIVE yards by this point for a gaping hole. Great job firing through and past the LG, standing the FB up and forcing the RB into a TFL by Borland on that edge (great burst). Double-teamed by the LG/LT on the next play but quick pass incomplete. Good hand work all game, playing off the double while keeping his eye on the QB and pushing up field. Lined up wide right of the LT and bull rushed his ass #77 all the way back to the heels of the QB for an official sack by Lemonier. Another great job inside pushing up field forcing the RB inside for a 2 yard gain; this is where he got undercut by Dial; couldn't push off and went down the next play with a legit ankle sprain.

Bottom line? This dude is a keeper!

OK, so I went back and found a break-down of him from last pre season. In listening to the Tomsula interview, he said the first year was just putting Okoye in position to keep him "safe." The next year was to get him snaps against 3rd stringers. And now this year, he is going to put him up against 1st and 2nd stringers as he's made "significant progress" since year 1. He wants to see what he's got now. He said the FO fully knew what the task at-hand was in working with and training Okoye.

Now, based on his assignments, in order for him to make the 53 and spell Justin/Carradine/Dockett I'm guestimating he'll have to do the following:
  • Stay disciplined in his assignments
  • Stay low at all times save for when trying to bat a pass down at the LOS
  • Continue excellent bull rush technique (get under those pads and stay low and drive that OT into the QB) while keeping an eye on the RB's and forcing them inside
  • Demonstrate quickness off the LOS in pass rush
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:10 AM ]
A 460 lb bench press? Good god, that's Kevin f*gen territory. I want to see this guy do some bull rushing in the pre season.

Kevin f*gen was a great Niner player on some of their greatest teams. It would be nice if the nasty words list could somehow let his last name through the filter.
[ Edited by crake49 on Mar 27, 2015 at 9:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone