There are 261 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Okoye is an example Tomsula's ability to teach and that is what York is looking for in a coach
Originally posted by WINiner:
I don't think anyone dares to hope he will be anything more than a rotational guy, but even if that's all he ever becomes that's still incredible imo. If he achieves anything more, which is always possible even if unlikely, it's going to end up being a lot of fun to have watched the whole process.

Actually what's intriguing about him as that if he ever "get's it", he has that upside potential to be a high-end starter.

He will probably never really "get-it", but he might (per Fangio, Tomsula, Harbaugh, etc)
I'd say that it's a ~~75% chance that he's never more than a scrub.
But there's ~~20% chance he's very good and ~~5% that's he's a top end player.

PS. But it is a waste of time for us to type 100's of pages about it on the net.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 3, 2015 at 5:15 PM ]
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Okoye is an example Tomsula's ability to teach and that is what York is looking for in a coach

So much and the fact that we signed him AGAIN is a pretty good indication he continues to progress. On film in PS, I saw some raw talent that I was very pleased with...hell of a bull rusher which bodes well for Aldon Smith, sniffed a screen, showed some pass rush as well, much better play recognition, etc. His weaknesses were that he was still thinking and could be a half-second late to respond, got high a couple times, etc.

At the end of the day, this is a RDE position...not exactly rocket science esp. in our 3-4. Just occupy two, know when to loop inside/outside, know your assignments and be disruptive. He's had several years now to learn from Justin and Ray and how to compete and conduct himself as a professional.

I basically see him as a raw rookie like Tank this year. Plus, he's ONLY 23 years old. If he continues to remain committed, it's worth the investment to try. With both McDonald and probably, Justin gone, he's going to get a legit shot this off season.
Originally posted by NCommand:
So much and the fact that we signed him AGAIN is a pretty good indication he continues to progress. On film in PS, I saw some raw talent that I was very pleased with...hell of a bull rusher which bodes well for Aldon Smith, sniffed a screen, showed some pass rush as well, much better play recognition, etc. His weaknesses were that he was still thinking and could be a half-second late to respond, got high a couple times, etc.

At the end of the day, this is a RDE position...not exactly rocket science esp. in our 3-4. Just occupy two, know when to loop inside/outside, know your assignments and be disruptive. He's had several years now to learn from Justin and Ray and how to compete and conduct himself as a professional.

I basically see him as a raw rookie like Tank this year. Plus, he's ONLY 23 years old. If he continues to remain committed, it's worth the investment to try. With both McDonald and probably, Justin gone, he's going to get a legit shot this off season.

Exactly, definitely worth the small investment they have in him
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
i'll speak for myself and maybe others, i'm just tired of the hype machine. this guy has a 130 page thread and hasnt done anything. he didnt cause the hype but a lot of fans with their over the top expectation just made this story not worth following for me anymore. wish him the best i'll look for him with 5 mins left in our 1st preseason game.

agree with everything, he has taken the nate davis love affair to a whole other level. i personally think we have bigger fish to fry than running around trying to sign him , but whatever. again like crab said,, we will look forward to fans drooling all over him in camp and pre season and then he goes to the practice squad. at least i have had not had to deal with anyone say he could be countrys replacement (why did i go and do that?)
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Some people don't like hope. Okoye has already earned a spot on the PS. That in itself is an accomplishment. That's not hype, but hope.

hope for what? lol
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:

I love this. What's also funny is how we have a guy on our staff that coaches Lawrence Okoye up from nothing, yet some are like, why are we still keeping track of this guy?

Is player development on the 49ers a bad thing? I thought that type of thinking was restricted to the offensive coaches.
future all time sack king. book it. really.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Some people don't like hope. Okoye has already earned a spot on the PS. That in itself is an accomplishment. That's not hype, but hope.

hope for what? lol
cc,
Hope that he can help the team. Hope that he can fulfill his dream of achieving a good living with his athletic abilities. The hope that we have in him. The hope that is void in you.
if he makes the 53 man roster,, we have a s**tty roster
This.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
This.
no offense to good poster paul hofer but i side with cc and communist x infinity
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lucky_49:
cedrick hardman just spit up
Originally posted by lucky_49:

Potato sacks...
Originally posted by communist:
This.
no offense to good poster paul hofer but i side with cc and communist x infinity

Lol. Iowa isn't the greatest at talent evaluation, hope, positivity or faith but he's OUR Iowa. And you can't have him!
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by WINiner:
I don't think anyone dares to hope he will be anything more than a rotational guy, but even if that's all he ever becomes that's still incredible imo. If he achieves anything more, which is always possible even if unlikely, it's going to end up being a lot of fun to have watched the whole process.

Actually what's intriguing about him as that if he ever "get's it", he has that upside potential to be a high-end starter.

He will probably never really "get-it", but he might (per Fangio, Tomsula, Harbaugh, etc)
I'd say that it's a ~~75% chance that he's never more than a scrub.
But there's ~~20% chance he's very good and ~~5% that's he's a top end player.

PS. But it is a waste of time for us to type 100's of pages about it on the net.

It's the 25% in your post that keeps me intrigued, because like you said it's unlikely but it's still possible and how cool would that be? To have watched this guy being confused by the pads to NFL stud. Again doubt it happens, but im rooting for the kid.
Share 49ersWebzone