• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
If Tomsula becomes HC he's staying

i think he is transferring to michigan
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kwest49er:
I'm thinking he makes the 53 next year and gets a lot of special teams reps then midseason gets some nickle work

if he makes the 53 man roster,, we have a s**tty roster
Originally posted by 49erphan:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-sign-five-players-reservefuture-contracts

The 49ers on Tuesday signed five of the nine players who finished the season on their practice squad to reserve/future contracts. Two of the players who were not re-signed were defensive lineman Lawrence Okoye and linebacker Shayne Skov.
- - - - - - - - - -
Okoye did not re-sign with the 49ers, presumably because he is waiting to see where defensive line coach Jim Tomsula ends up. Okoye, a finalist for Great Britain in discus at the 2012 London Olympics, signed with the 49ers in 2013 in large part because of Tomsula's commitment to try to develop him into an NFL player.

I have no idea whether or not Okoye will ever become a starter or regular back up for some team in the NFL. I'm just curious about how he does because he is such an excellent athlete and his story is an interesting one.

That's actually, really awesome and sort of demonstrates how important it is to have a great "teacher." Nobody can teach Okoye better or give him a real shot in the NFL other than Tomsula. This entire defensive staff better stay intact!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
I'm thinking he makes the 53 next year and gets a lot of special teams reps then midseason gets some nickle work

this lol

i don't get the love affair with this british scrub
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by cciowa:

this lol

i don't get the love affair with this british scrub

its a nice story . i guess its for the people who have to have a oprah moment around here
Signed contract. Does that mean Tomsula stays b/c I think he said he wanted to remain working w/ Tomsula

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/03/49ers-sign-dl-lawrence-okoye-to-reservefuture-contract/
Signed contract. Does that mean Tomsula stays b/c I think he said he wanted to remain working w/ Tomsula

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/03/49ers-sign-dl-lawrence-okoye-to-reservefuture-contract/

Tomsula will be here, hopefully as a DL coach still (which he is great at) if fangio gets the job he prolly gets the assistant head coach label the singletary had
Yesterday an offensive lineman, today a defensive lineman, tomorrow a 6-6 monster TE and legit red zone threat.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

Tomsula will be here, hopefully as a DL coach still (which he is great at) if fangio gets the job he prolly gets the assistant head coach label the singletary had

That's terrific news all around!
  • titan
  • Veteran
I hope he turns out to be something special. I think it's more for expanding the 49ers fan club. The Brits really follow and support their athletes.

I really don't see how anyone can be critical of the Okoye story. I love it personally and find him incredibly impressive in his ability to learn American football at the rate he has. His progress is amazing imo. In 1 full year he went from not knowing how to put pads on to looking like he had earned his PS roster spot. I just think that's amazing. I am looking forward to seeing the progress in year two. If by year 3 he makes the 53 then this project will pay in spades.

I mean why the hell not?
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 3, 2015 at 10:32 AM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
I really don't see how anyone can be critical of the Okoye story. I love it personally and find him incredibly impressive in his ability to learn American football at the rate he has. His progress is amazing imo. In 1 full year he went from not knowing how to put pads on to looking like he had earned his PS roster spot. I just think that's amazing. I am looking forward to seeing the progress in year two. If by year 3 he makes the 53 then this project will pay in spades.

I mean why the hell not?

i'll speak for myself and maybe others, i'm just tired of the hype machine. this guy has a 130 page thread and hasnt done anything. he didnt cause the hype but a lot of fans with their over the top expectation just made this story not worth following for me anymore. wish him the best i'll look for him with 5 mins left in our 1st preseason game.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by WINiner:

I mean why the hell not?

i'll speak for myself and maybe others, i'm just tired of the hype machine. this guy has a 130 page thread and hasnt done anything. he didnt cause the hype but a lot of fans with their over the top expectation just made this story not worth following for me anymore. wish him the best i'll look for him with 5 mins left in our 1st preseason game.

It's 130 pages of fans talking about a unique project the 49ers are involved in. I don't think anyone dares to hope he will be anything more than a rotational guy, but even if that's all he ever becomes that's still incredible imo. If he achieves anything more, which is always possible even if unlikely, it's going to end up being a lot of fun to have watched the whole process.

Hype? C'mon man, you took a negative stance early and back it now so you don't look reactionary, or you and those with like minds just don't understand what it takes to even just earn a PS spot on an NFL team for guys who have played the game for several years, but to have an football noob do it in one? It's the only reason I can see having a negative opinion/stance on this project.

Why Hate? Enjoy watching this kid grow and learn and see just how far he can go. It's just another reason to be interested in 49ers football and any more reasons to love my 49ers football is always a good thing.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 3, 2015 at 11:00 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Some people don't like hope. Okoye has already earned a spot on the PS. That in itself is an accomplishment. That's not hype, but hope.
Share 49ersWebzone