There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
In my opinion, the fact that he went undrafted means he has short arms for his height. I could be wrong, but if he had 34+ inch arms, I think a GM would've pulled the trigger in the 6th or 7th round (maybe earlier if his arms were longer than Aldon Smith's).

He has 34" arms.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
https

is right. That dude sounds DRIVEN.

that was the most determined person I've ever seen at the draft interview process
and yeah, he wasn't anything special as a rugby player, but they're different games - you don't get breaks in rugby, so there aren't many 300 pounders because they don't have the endurance. Linemen in general would not be good at rugby, because you need to be able to move in space (some DE's like JPP would be successful though). It's bizarre to me that this guy played wing given he's not very fast - I would expect him to have played forward, but maybe he's afraid of contact which would be a major concern.

rugby wingers are usually fast but you sometimes see big guys out there like Lomu for NZ, if you can run over people it's just as good as going around.
Originally posted by babarvaart:
and yeah, he wasn't anything special as a rugby player, but they're different games - you don't get breaks in rugby, so there aren't many 300 pounders because they don't have the endurance. Linemen in general would not be good at rugby, because you need to be able to move in space (some DE's like JPP would be successful though). It's bizarre to me that this guy played wing given he's not very fast - I would expect him to have played forward, but maybe he's afraid of contact which would be a major concern.

rugby wingers are usually fast but you sometimes see big guys out there like Lomu for NZ, if you can run over people it's just as good as going around.

Okoye is fast. Ran high 4.7s at his "pro day" but claims to have run several high 4.5s in training and I tend to believe him. That may not be fast for a WR or DB, but Colin Kaepernick ran in the 4.5s.
I agree he's fast but wanted to point out that not all rugby wingers are tricky blazers.

And you can't really avoid contact in rugby, as he is big and fast it makes sense to put him into a position that could cause match up problems.

I watched him throw discuss in the Olympics and he should have got a medal but got a bit too tense in the final.
I agree he's fast but wanted to point out that not all rugby wingers are tricky blazers.

And you can't really avoid contact in rugby, as he is big and fast it makes sense to put him into a position that could cause match up problems.

I watched him throw discuss in the Olympics and he should have got a medal but got a bit too tense in the final.

they should put him at TE since hes so fast and strong. that OLB or DE would be on his ass everytime and this dude would be wide open at 6'6"
Originally posted by susweel:
son of Christian

Nigerian nightmare???
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
that was the most determined person I've ever seen at the draft interview process

? I wouldnt go that far...
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
https

is right. That dude sounds DRIVEN.

seriously, he acts like hes a cant miss prospect. i love the confidence. i hope this guy can play for us. maybe use him at TE since hes so big and can move like he can
Originally posted by CraigHR:

Okay. Thanks for feedback.

As a UK resident and former rugby player, the reason he was played on the wing is to run over the opposing winger. Most of the wings in rugby these days are around 6'4" and ~230lbs, he'd be played on the wing as a mismatch - nothing to do with being scared of contact.

Lomu was a freak, he ran the 100m in ~10.8 seconds.
Hi.

I'm from England and have been following the NFL for a couple of years (albeit the Ravens more than anybody else although I quite like the 49ers) and has quickly become one of my favourite sports. Was excited when I found out that Okoye would be signing for an NFL team because the sport is getting bigger over here and has received much more publicity over the previous few years and it will no doubt get bigger with the addition of Okoye. I understand that he probably won't play for a couple of years looking at some of your posts but what are the chances that he could be a regular in years to come? and what position?

It seems a great move for many different reasons for both Okoye and your team and will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
I already like him more than dead average Dobbs
I'm tellin' y'all Tukuafu and Dobbs are gonna be out real soon. Okoye will be a beast!
Originally posted by mc_red21:
Hi.

I'm from England and have been following the NFL for a couple of years (albeit the Ravens more than anybody else although I quite like the 49ers) and has quickly become one of my favourite sports. Was excited when I found out that Okoye would be signing for an NFL team because the sport is getting bigger over here and has received much more publicity over the previous few years and it will no doubt get bigger with the addition of Okoye. I understand that he probably won't play for a couple of years looking at some of your posts but what are the chances that he could be a regular in years to come? and what position?

It seems a great move for many different reasons for both Okoye and your team and will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Okoye is a long shot to make the team, in all reality. We are somewhat loaded right now. It would appear the team see him on the D line.