LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Interview with Joe Staley:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/08/14/joe-staley/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

-Q: What do you think about those young D-linemen–Carradine, Okoye, Dial?

-STALEY: I've been going up against Tank and Okoye, both those guys have impressed me with their strength. You definitely have to come off the snap 100% every time against those guys because they've made some plays where they've put some guys back.

So they've definitely been working hard in the off-season to work their strength up.

I think Okoye in particular has impressed me just with how far he's come from last year. I mean, last year he didn't know what to do, ever. Now he's firing off with confidence, knows what gap to fill, and he doesn't look like he doesn't belong on the field. He's a football player. I've been very impressed with him.

The rest of the interview is interesting as well.

That line is going to be scary good. Particularly in 2015, with Tank and Dial having a season under their belt and I think Okoye should be good enough to make the 53 by then. I expect another rookie lineman (probably at NT) will be in the mix and perhaps Justin Smith will be good enough to ride for another season. I really can't wait to see it.

Still has a chance to make the 53 this year but that high-ankle sprain is a killer. And now Dobbs is starting to practice again (ankle).
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

sign the other guy....

That guy is HUGE. I am assuming he is an Olympian? Who is he?

Edit: Answered my own question. British shotputter Carl Myerscough - 6'10" 353lbs
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Edit: Answered my own question. British shotputter Carl Myerscough

Tomsula's next project?
Staley said all I wanted to hear. Okoye gonna beast for us when everything clicks.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Edit: Answered my own question. British shotputter Carl Myerscough

Tomsula's next project?

Sign him naooo ! DE....Fullback.....Safety.....don´t curr.
[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 15, 2014 at 9:37 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Staley said all I wanted to hear. Okoye gonna beast for us when everything clicks.

This.

#futurefreak

sign the other guy....

Edit: Answered my own question. British shotputter Carl Myerscough - 6'10" 353lbs

Make that dude the Nose Tackle.
Right upon the snap, just have him heave the center onto the QB.
Sack every down.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:

This.

#futurefreak

agree!

Was this in an interview?
Originally posted by Joecool:

Was this in an interview?

Posted at the top of the page on which you just posted.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by DeUh:

This.

#futurefreak

agree!

Totally...block FG's, wedge-buster on ST's and spell Justin at RDE and continue to make huge strides. Staley is one of the very best LT's in the game. If he takes it on himself to give Okoye praise, that speaks volumes. My breakdown of his play is right in line with what he said too!

98 Lawrence Okoye: First play he fired up field at RDE and pinched outside/in forcing the RB inside (good) for a Moody tackle of 1 yard. Next play faked outside, in chasing the QB 12 yards back on a QB pressure (very well done; great hand work). Next play, got low initially (good) but raised up (bad) and as a result, got pushed backwards badly by #77 through the entire play. He quickly learns and on the next play pushes upfield, disengages the same blocker and makes a tackle for a ½ a yard gain on 2nd and goal from the 5. Good push and handwork on the next play. Monster push up the field on the next series and a blitz off his edge lead to a quick throw and an INT by Cook (had great leverage). Next series, nice push again, played off two blockers and nearly knocked down a pass (good awareness; dude has long arms esp. with that height!). Another good push on the next play but quick pass. Next play he played high and got pinched inside, got spun around and pushed back as the RB hit his hole for a first down for 8 yards (it was actually a double team; the G pushed his arms up high and at the same time the T fired down into his rib cage and got him spinning and going backwards); that's a hell of a technique! Do we do that? Next play he needed to continue to slide down the line like he was doing but play off the block just a tad quicker to make the tackle; unfortunately the NT, Purcell had already been pushed back FIVE yards by this point for a gaping hole so he had no chance to make the tackle. Great job firing through and past the LG, standing the FB up and forcing the RB into a TFL by Borland on that edge (great burst). Double-teamed by the LG/LT again on the next but quick pass incomplete. Good hand work all game long, playing off the double team while keeping his eye on the QB and pushing up field. Lined up wide right of the LT and bull rushed his ass (#77) all the way back to the heels of the QB for an official sack by Lemonier coming from the SAM. Another great job inside pushing up field forcing the RB inside for a 2 yard gain; this is where he got undercut by Dial unfortunately (looks like a high ankle sprain); he couldn't push off on the next play and went down. Bottom line? This dude is a keeper!

In another post, I noted how I was impressed with his hands, burst, leverage (minus two plays which happens to all our DEs from time to time, even Justin Smith), his monster bull rush, the QB pressure, his ability to keep his eyes on the QB/throw, making his way down the line, playing off blocks, etc. but perhaps, my favorite part was what Staley alluded too...he was sound in his gaps and assignments. He'd line up wide of the LT and bull rush him into the QB. Then he'd line up inside and help stuff the run for losses or generate a QB pressure. He'd play through one block and hold up another blocker to allow the blitzer to make a TFL, etc. He flat out looks like a Tomsula-coached NFL player with a monster ceiling to me and he certainly adds a complete game and more than Dobbs at this junction.

Dobbs is a very good and sound DE and has good containment and run-stuffing abilities but does not add a bull rush or pass rush ability thus far and is oft-injured (as well) IMHO (and I like Dobbs). So what are the coaches going to do? Keep him on potential and for his ceiling given he seems to have a bad high ankle sprain which usually takes 4-8 weeks to fully heal or I.R. him again (or cut him) or risk him to the P.S. Any predictions?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Interview with Joe Staley:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/08/14/joe-staley/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

-Q: What do you think about those young D-linemen–Carradine, Okoye, Dial?

-STALEY: I've been going up against Tank and Okoye, both those guys have impressed me with their strength. You definitely have to come off the snap 100% every time against those guys because they've made some plays where they've put some guys back.

So they've definitely been working hard in the off-season to work their strength up.

I think Okoye in particular has impressed me just with how far he's come from last year. I mean, last year he didn't know what to do, ever. Now he's firing off with confidence, knows what gap to fill, and he doesn't look like he doesn't belong on the field. He's a football player. I've been very impressed with him.

The rest of the interview is interesting as well.

Uh oh, cciowa is going to be pissed! J/k

He is only going to get better the more he works and gets practice time. I am excited to see if he can become a good player
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

sign the other guy....

Sack every down.

I would want him over center on FG and extra point attempts
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

sign the other guy....

Sack every down.

I would want him over center on FG and extra point attempts

i wouldnt want penalties every time
Share 49ersWebzone