There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by jimrat:
34 1/2 arm length http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lawrence-okoye?id=2541134

Nice - I wonder why he went undrafted though - GM's must think he won't be ready to play until his contract ends, but if nothing else, that would give us an advantage to re-sign him. This could end up being the equivalent of a 2016 2nd round pick or so if he develops by then and we keep him.

Who in their right mind would draft someone who never played football lol

Sounds like something Al Davis would have done.

oh you said "right mind."

First rounder
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 513
Wow.... Okoye will be joing our DL.. I wonder if there was a deal done under the table which makes me believe that it's the reason why we didn't draft jesse williams.

GO NINERS!!!
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Although he's as fast as Corey Lemonier and 50 pounds heavier, he's reported to be a bit stiff and slow in changes of direction. But best of luck to him. Tomsula is his best chance.

I think when you're 305 pounds that's to be expected. His agility drill times were either comparable or better than almost all the drafted DL prospects.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Who in their right mind would draft someone who never played football lol

If it gives you an edge on re-signing him, then why not? Most 7th rounders never start and this guy has more potential than most players chosen in the 7th round. GM's must think that this guy won't play much during his first contract, but I still think having a better shot at re-signing him in 3 years would have been worth a 7th round pick. 7th round compensatory picks are essentially free agents and there's little risk in taking a guy and sticking him on the practice squad to see if he develops.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Wow.... Okoye will be joing our DL.. I wonder if there was a deal done under the table which makes me believe that it's the reason why we didn't draft jesse williams.

GO NINERS!!!

different positions - this guy is probably too tall to play NT and has long enough arms and enough athleticism to play 3-4 DE in a few years. Williams is a DT/NT only (short arms)
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 16,668
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Although he's as fast as Corey Lemonier and 50 pounds heavier, he's reported to be a bit stiff and slow in changes of direction. But best of luck to him. Tomsula is his best chance.

I think when you're 305 pounds that's to be expected. His agility drill times were either comparable or better than almost all the drafted DL prospects.


Someone said Watt would run circles around him. How do his agility tests compare to Watt's?
6'6" 300lbs.... 4.75?

reading about this guy, it really does take you back and appreciate the athlete Julius Peppers was/is.... I think some forget he is 6'7 290 and ran a 4.68 40.

but back to Okoye... watching that combine footage....my god, Harbaugh wasn't lying. Just imaging him getting the ball in the open field, with players bouncing off the guy hahaha. But he better be able to secure the ball first and foremost.

I don't know where they'll line him up....but I'm excited that we have him.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
6'6" 300lbs.... 4.75?

reading about this guy, it really does take you back and appreciate the athlete Julius Peppers was/is.... I think some forget he is 6'7 290 and ran a 4.68 40.

but back to Okoye... watching that combine footage....my god, Harbaugh wasn't lying. Just imaging him getting the ball in the open field, with players bouncing off the guy hahaha. But he better be able to secure the ball first and foremost.

I don't know where they'll line him up....but I'm excited that we have him.

yeah I could see him taking Tukuafu's spot this season. He hasn't played so he has yet to develop any bad tendencies. He'd most likely be a beast blocking for Gore/LMJ/Hunter/Lattimore (relieving to throw him in there). On the d line the sky is the limit. I'd take him over Ziggy Ansah any day, he's younger and doesn't require a draft choice.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
https


is right. That dude sounds DRIVEN.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
6'6" 300lbs.... 4.75?

reading about this guy, it really does take you back and appreciate the athlete Julius Peppers was/is.... I think some forget he is 6'7 290 and ran a 4.68 40.

but back to Okoye... watching that combine footage....my god, Harbaugh wasn't lying. Just imaging him getting the ball in the open field, with players bouncing off the guy hahaha. But he better be able to secure the ball first and foremost.

I don't know where they'll line him up....but I'm excited that we have him.
2 things come to mind...

Ice being a FB and Dixon not moving the pile forward, if he played rugby, he aint scared of getting hit.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by 190836:
What position? DL?
Originally posted by jimrat:

he is huge!!

I want this man chasing down QBs for us.

He has a long way to go but man its gonna be scary if he catches on

He decided to throws discus at 18...2 years later was in the Olympics. Apparently discus takes several years to master. Hopefully he catches on to football like he did discus.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,804
Originally posted by mrwoodz:
Just to clarify my "I think that's the right one" is a guess it was Nebraska - the rest is definite, except Atlanta was Dallas.

From NFL.com:

The British Olympian was the talk of the event after putting together a spectacular showing on the turf. Checking in at 6-foot-6 and 304 pounds with 34 1/2-inch arms, Okoye blazed the 40-yard dash in 4.78 seconds and posted impressive numbers in the vertical (35 inches) and broad jumps (10-foot-5). Those are ridiculous numbers for a guy his size, which is why scouts certainly are intrigued by his talent and potential as a developmental project. (The 21-year-old finished 12th in the discus at the 2012 London Olympic Games and is an accomplished rugby player, but he's new to the game of football.) Now, based on his positional workout, Okoye does have to make significant strides before he's ready for the pro game. He looked a little tight in his turns and transitions, and he didn't show explosive change-of-direction quickness in drills. Still, scouts will take a chance on Okoye as a late-round prospect/priority free agent based on his sheer size, strength and athleticism.

wow.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,804
can you guys imagine if this dude turns out to be at least SERVICABLE?

what an athlete!!!! how exciting. great job baalke / harbaugh
Imagine his club move as a pass rusher! Being a discuss thrower, he can just swipe a OT upside the shoulder. It'd be spin, club move.