There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

POLL: Grade The 49ers' 2013 Draft

POLL: Grade The 49ers' 2013 Draft

Lowell Cohn gave the niners a C+!!!!!!!!!!!

LMFAO
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
What ratings are you referring to?

Individual performance ratings that you can find on nfl.com. But generally I am thinking about consensus opinion, referring to some of the dline guys who went top 20.

Those are definitely more generic, whereas team's grading systems factor in months and months of film study with an eye towards scheme fit, plus the in-depth character assessments based on input from personal visits/interviews and background checking (college coaches, teammates, school administrators, etc.). There's so much more depth and specificity to the team's boards compared to what's publicly available that I personally don't put much faith in the latter. That's just me.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

LMFAO

/Thread
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

LMFAO

The Cohns are ridiculous. They would fit in perfectly here in Niner Talk.
Trading up #157 (Dial) and #180 (Moody) would have netted a slot corner Hawthorne or in McGee=A
Otherwise: B
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM ]
That moron Lowell Cohn gave the 49ers a C+ grade. Why does the Press Democrat allow such a hostile and anti-49er biased excuse for a sports writer to represent the 49ers? I just don't understand it.

LMFAO

Lowell Cohn is an idiot.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Those are definitely more generic, whereas team's grading systems factor in months and months of film study with an eye towards scheme fit, plus the in-depth character assessments based on input from personal visits/interviews and background checking (college coaches, teammates, school administrators, etc.). There's so much more depth and specificity to the team's boards compared to what's publicly available that I personally don't put much faith in the latter. That's just me.

All ratings systems are grossly imperfect. That's why nobody knows whats going to happen before it happens, usually. Regardless of board or team ratings, the FO should have more aggressively sought bluer chip dline candidates, IMO. I also would have put less emphasis on edge rushers and tried to find more classic 4-3 DT's that can better stand up to NFL pounding. JSmith acts like a classic DT anyway on pass rush downs by soaking up multiple OL's, really.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
All ratings systems are grossly imperfect. That's why nobody knows whats going to happen before it happens, usually. Regardless of board or team ratings, the FO should have more aggressively sought bluer chip dline candidates, IMO. I also would have put less emphasis on edge rushers and tried to find more classic 4-3 DT's that can better stand up to NFL pounding. JSmith acts like a classic DT anyway on pass rush downs by soaking up multiple OL's, really.

And if you base your opinion off a rating system, well, then your opinion is also grossly imperfect.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I gave them a C, but as I think things through, that is probably too harsh. Maybe a B is better.

First off, considering the number of quality players that they got, you can argue that this draft is an A, but in my mind, they got so many quality players because they had so many draft picks. When it comes to what they did with all of those picks, I don't think they maximized value. But here is my personal analysis. Of course, we can't judge the true quality of their picks until much later, and I am certainly not qualified for that.

The Good:
When they did a trade, the draft value chart was in their favor.
Getting a third rd pick next year was a great deal.
They were filling needs with their higher picks.
4th round picks appear to be great players that should have been drafted earlier.
Their final picks in the 7th round have a good chance of making the team, since they were drafted in areas where we are a little thin.

The Bad:
Their draft strategy for trading up was to trade up at a discount, but the players that they selected did not appear to be at high risk of being drafted so early. So I don't think they maximized the value of their picks at each position.
They failed to add another pick in the top 3 rounds. They stared with 5 and ended up with 4 after the Reid trade. I was hoping they could get another in the 3rd round by combining their lower picks, but that didn't happen.
They did get 1 3rd rounder, but I was hoping for more picks next year.
They drafted too many picks this year, I was hoping for more like 9 picks, not 11. I fear that many of their lower picks will not make the team.
I give it a solid A.
[ Edited by billbird2111 on Apr 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM ]
A. Filled every single need, covered weaknesses and added depth all around the board. Not an A+ because we don't even know how good these guys are lol.

LMFAO

Being Mr. Controversial is how he differentiates himself. Heck, he could be right if some of the key draftees 'bust' out.
Originally posted by fryet:
I gave them a C, but as I think things through, that is probably too harsh. Maybe a B is better.

First off, considering the number of quality players that they got, you can argue that this draft is an A, but in my mind, they got so many quality players because they had so many draft picks. When it comes to what they did with all of those picks, I don't think they maximized value. But here is my personal analysis. Of course, we can't judge the true quality of their picks until much later, and I am certainly not qualified for that.

The Good:
When they did a trade, the draft value chart was in their favor.
Getting a third rd pick next year was a great deal.
They were filling needs with their higher picks.
4th round picks appear to be great players that should have been drafted earlier.
Their final picks in the 7th round have a good chance of making the team, since they were drafted in areas where we are a little thin.

The Bad:
Their draft strategy for trading up was to trade up at a discount, but the players that they selected did not appear to be at high risk of being drafted so early. So I don't think they maximized the value of their picks at each position.
They failed to add another pick in the top 3 rounds. They stared with 5 and ended up with 4 after the Reid trade. I was hoping they could get another in the 3rd round by combining their lower picks, but that didn't happen.
They did get 1 3rd rounder, but I was hoping for more picks next year.
They drafted too many picks this year, I was hoping for more like 9 picks, not 11. I fear that many of their lower picks will not make the team.

It is one thing to have a desire to trade up to wherever you want, but you need a willing partner. Of course you could overwhelm a team with multiple picks, or trade high picks from next year. But I bet there would be a lot more complaining here if they did. It would be interesting to know whether they tried to move up other times and were denied.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

LMFAO

those clowns were both really touching themselves when they seen what Haarbalke had done on draft day... they just say lame stuff to get viewers to comment since both Matts beat them (cohn heads) to the punch (on dishing out good articles).

it's the only strategy they have since they lack originality and aren't any good as writers
[ Edited by LVJay on Apr 28, 2013 at 10:36 PM ]