LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
University of Alabama is a pro team so he's had professional training for a while at the position
[ Edited by MiamiNiner on Oct 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Weight is not a make or break number for NT. The most important thing for a NT in Fangios systems is holding up his gap at the point of attack. You can't get flushed out or pushed off. You have to be stout and be able to hold your ground against a center and sometimes guard. The thing is that when the NT draws over a guard he is essentially closing the gap between them. If he can at least hold his ground and cover the gap on the open side of the center than hes done his job plus some. That why weight is important. It helps a player avoid being blocked out on the double team. I don't think Dial is going to be playing the 5 Tec. He just doesn't fit the bill imo. He really tall so he has work extra hard to get leverage and work the pocket. Your taking him out of his element. He's much better controlling gaps opposed to pressuring. I think they're going to bulk him up, increase his endurance, and perfect his technique over this next year. He may see some snaps but I think next year is when were going to see the finished product.

Agreed eonblue...if he can use that gerth to help control both A gaps "and" even collapse the pocket (step-up lane) from time to time, this will be HUGE for us! Dorsey and Dial could also play inside DT's on short yardage and goal line situations as well (ideally).
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
University of Alabama is a pro team so he's had professional training for a while at the position

The emocon at the end is throwing me off. Are you being serious or are you mocking people that believe that?

An elite nose tackle would go a long way in our division. We haven't had someone who can collapse the pocket in a very long time. Soap was a very good run stuffer and held the point of attack, but he wouldn't collapse a pocket. If the Niners are smart, we'd get someone that can collapse the pocket. Could you imagine a Aldon, Brooks on the edges with no pocket to step up into? Devastating.
[ Edited by IMnotsoHO on Oct 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM ]
A 5th round pick isn't exactly a lock to make this team. His injury prolonged his tryout for the squad. A healthy Ian Williams and Dorsey, Dial doesn't sniff the field. Let's see if he can make the most out of his opportunity.
and by tonight, we will see the "Dial is Bust" thread.

Hope the kid comes out strong and we didnt rush him back. Good for him to get out there for these two games before the bye so we know what we have later in the season.
[ Edited by frozen49er on Oct 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM ]
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:

The emocon at the end is throwing me off. Are you being serious or are you mocking people that believe that?

An elite nose tackle would go a long way in our division. We haven't had someone who can collapse the pocket in a very long time. Soap was a very good run stuffer and held the point of attack, but he wouldn't collapse a pocket. If the Niners are smart, we'd get someone that can collapse the pocket. Could you imagine a Aldon, Brooks on the edges with no pocket to step up into? Devastating.

This! The pressure is almost always there on the outside...we have to use MLB blitzes with Bowman to garner any inside pressure (step-up lanes) and that is very very effective b/c of the outside pressure.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
and by tonight, we will see the "Dial is Bust" thread.

Hope the kid comes out strong and we didnt rush him back. Good for him to get out there for these two games before the bye so we know what we have later in the season.
Barring injuries I don't even think he's going to play much today. Maybe 5-10 snaps at best.

Yep, I am sure he was getting a paycheck throughout his college career
Originally posted by SFrush:
Barring injuries I don't even think he's going to play much today. Maybe 5-10 snaps at best.

Yeah, don't expect a ton of snaps for him today; expect TJE to start. I don't think we'll risk Dorsey at all. Now, if TJE continues to get pwned inside and pushed back, blown off the ball, we may see more Dial if he starts to prove/establish himself. But like Fangio says he's got to prove better than the starter or of equal value to be part of a consistent rotation.
I just want him to be healthy at the end of the game.

Originally posted by fister30:
A 5th round pick isn't exactly a lock to make this team. His injury prolonged his tryout for the squad. A healthy Ian Williams and Dorsey, Dial doesn't sniff the field. Let's see if he can make the most out of his opportunity.

I thought the only reason he lasted as long as he did in the draft was due to the injury. I heard and saw several reports that he could have been a 3rd round pick if not for the severity of the injury and likelihood of being able to contribute in his first year.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I thought the only reason he lasted as long as he did in the draft was due to the injury. I heard and saw several reports that he could have been a 3rd round pick if not for the severity of the injury and likelihood of being able to contribute in his first year.

Yes, the injury did knock him back but he was still considered a project.

being serious

being serious
I don't watch college ball, but doesn't Saban run a legit 3-4 defense?
I THINK U GUYS ARE FORGETTIN THAT TJE AND DIAL ARE GOIN UP AGAINST A ROOKIE CENTER, THEY WILL PROBABLY BOTH EXCEL. GOT A GOOD FEELIN ABOUT DIAL, PURE RAW TALENT.. LEGOOOOOOO 9ERS
Share 49ersWebzone