DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
future NT! I like it...part of a great defense in college

NT? he is only 305, he plays 3-4 DE and would only be a DT in a 4-3

Actually hes listed at 318 pounds and plays with better leverage than Sopoaga and has better pass rush moves which is a added plus.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Actually hes listed at 318 pounds and plays with better leverage than Sopoaga and has better pass rush moves which is a added plus.

I see him as a much bigger version of RJF. Someone who can play both the 5-technique backing up McDonald and also slide down to play NT if needed there too which is exactly what we need right now. But at 6'5", nearly 320 and with 34.5" arms, I think his eventual role is at the 5-technique.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I see him as a much bigger version of RJF. Someone who can play both the 5-technique backing up McDonald and also slide down to play NT if needed there too which is exactly what we need right now. But at 6'5", nearly 320 and with 34.5" arms, I think his eventual role is at the 5-technique.

The more I read about him the more I like him. Big, nasty, and motivated. That is a good combination. I also like that he played for the best defensive team in the country.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I agree I think he'll be more of a utility lineman on the defense, NT really isn't a full time position because the defense shows a lot of different looks.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

The more I read about him the more I like him. Big, nasty, and motivated. That is a good combination. I also like that he played for the best defensive team in the country.

Exactly, and just a perfect fit for this defense.

oh wow, well then he fits in multiple spots. IMO we have replaced:

Soap with Glenn Dorsey,

Ricky J with Dial, and

Tukuafu/Dobbs with Tank/Williams
Originally posted by jreff22:
chances that Dial and A Davis get into a fight at camp?

a certainty lol
Originally posted by Jcool:

Looked clean to me.
I was watching some tape on Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and noticed there was alot of snaps of Dial. It's hard to find any snap of him on youtube so I thought someone might enjoy the video. He plays multiple techniques and shows great strength. It seems like his main task was collapsing the pocket and managing gaps. I was impressed. I think he could play NT but the snaps he played didn't seem to good. I think he played better at DT. Hes number 90.

:42 Playing on the head of the Tackle. Holds the edge well with his long arms and frame.
1:29 Lines up on the right shoulder of the center. Really poor blocking on this one but the stunt confused the left guard and he got penetration in the A gap. Dial showed good timing with a good combination of strength and speed to beat him.
1:40 Another stunt hes lined up on the left shoulder of the left guard but stunted to the B gap. The timing was off but partially from the lack of push on the center.
2:30 Lines up on the right shoulder of the right guard. Hit the C gap hard and pushes his man back into Murrays lap. He keeps his man off him and manages both the B and C gaps. Very strong hands. The pressure leads to an int.
3:45 Almost the same technique as his last snap. The center comes over to help. Absorbing blockers.
6:50 Playing NT
7:00 Playing NT
7:39 Playing on the right shoulder of the right guard.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:

Looked clean to me.

thats pretty bad that he would do that

Not much mention of him so far in OTA's, but can't wait to see him play in the preseason.
I don't like cheap shots whether they're dealt by Niner players or anyone else. I hope the professionalism of the Niner defense rubs off on him a little and he just concentrates on beating the guys in front of him and making the tackles. I like the pick because he's definitely big, strong and nasty, but a player can be nasty without delivering cheap shots.
He has the size to be a disruptive force , I hope he develops sooner than later ...if he becomes a solid 3-4 DE that commands two blockers ....Just think of how much more effective Cowboy and Aldon will be when he gets in the game ......Dial, Carradine and Dorsey are going to make our D-Line much tougher...plus keep Cowboy and Ray Mac fresh and mean for the 4th quarter
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:

Looked clean to me.

thats pretty bad that he would do that

love it

nobody would hesitate to take a shot at kaepernick if given the opportunity.

Isnt that how people wanted to defend him? By hitting him whether or not he handed off the ball.
I'll be surprised though if I see Kaepernick take a hit like that. He seems like he sees what's happening all around him very well. But again, it's a violent game pitting tremendous athletes against each other every play. Why do we like cheap shots? What does a cheap shot have to do with the way the play is run and the game is played. All it does for me is make a statement about the character of the player delivering the cheap shot.
Share 49ersWebzone