LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
Reports are that Dial has been kicking ass in camp. Next man up.
Well, he went from being a roster bubble guy to potentially starting week 1
Reports have been real good.

5 days to go and we'll see how he does.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I am not expecting Williams to be ready in time to start the season so I hope Dial can man the spot. The drop-off from Dorsey to TJE was tremendous in the middle and we were getting gashed up the gut on a number of occasions when TJE had to fill in the spot. Perhaps with more practice, he'd be okay, but I'm of the opinion TJE is much better suited for the edge and a developing Dial may be the better option for the nose.

I liked what I saw from Purcell in college and was very excited when we added him to the practice squad. I'm curious to see how he has developed. He played with fairly good leverage in his college years, but he was playing for Wyoming in a less-than-top notch conference. Still, I wouldn't count him out. Let's see what he can do in games. Wouldn't shock me to see him make the team if Ian Williams winds up on the PUP to start the year.

I agree four surgeries says they have to bring him along slowly and carefully. I can see him and lattimore being activated around our bye week.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Well, he went from being a roster bubble guy to potentially starting week 1

Looking forward to seeing the young guys play. All is not lost, not if you have Tomsula coaching the D-line.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Looking forward to seeing the young guys play. All is not lost, not if you have Tomsula coaching the D-line.

I was hoping the 49ers would have made a run at Jonny Jolly in the offseason he's a beast and could have added some beef to our light line. Losing Dorsey was to bad for him in his FA year but we have quality depth and he only played 40% of the snaps or less than that on a rotation so it sucks but nowhere near a back breaker. Slow up with the injuries though.
Next man up! Regardless of who plays nose, they'll be well coached up. That position is the least of my worries. Tomsula makes eveyone look like a starter.
The only good part to all these injuries is we get to keep more good talent for next year. I just hope our projected talent can step up to all the fan hype while fill in.
[ Edited by juycho on Aug 3, 2014 at 6:28 AM ]
Carradine and Dial are the two guys on defense I'm most looking forward to see Thursday night.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Carradine and Dial are the two guys on defense I'm most looking forward to see Thursday night.

Well I am looking forward to seeing 49ers on the field again. Training camp seems a lot more interesting this year than I was hoping it would be.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

This for sure!
I am pumped to see Carradine and Dial play though.
next man up!
  • thl408
I went back to look at most of Dial's snaps last season thinking he played mostly DE. He was playing DE, DT, and NT. 5/3/1/0 tech. He was used up and down the line. In his first game, versus TEN, he played 5tech in the base 3-4 (DE) and 3tech in nickel (DT). He lined up once as a 1tech, but it was on some odd line stunt the 49ers tried.

A few pics from his first NFL game:
I think this is his first NFL snap. Playing as a DE in base 3-4, TEN was trailing by multiple scores and was in pass mode. On this play, his pass rush was doubled teamed by the RT and RG and was not able to pressure the QB as he rushed upfield.

Dial as a 1tech in nickel (DT), with both OLBs to the left side. 49ers ran a stunt with Lemon and Skuta.

Of all his snaps I saw, I'd say this was his best pass rush. 1st & 10. 4 minutes left in the game, garbage time.
3tech in nickel package.

Dial engages the RG square on. Bull rush.

The RG takes a step back, but regains his balance as Dial grabs two fistfuls of jersey.

Dial tosses the RG to the side. (Unfortunately) Lemon has beaten the RT and is the first to pressure the QB.

Not very quick to pressure the QB, but his strength is on display here.
Share 49ersWebzone