LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
5th round bust.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 13, 2016 at 2:09 PM ]
best game I've seen him play!
Getting better every year
Our boy from Bama had been getting slept in by a lot of people. Probably isn't even a 100%, this dude is an effing horse, happy for him. He's been solid for a hot minute now.
What is the best fit for Dial in the new Seattle style defense? I havent seen him mentioned much in all of the discussions about the new dline scheme.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:
What is the best fit for Dial in the new Seattle style defense? I havent seen him mentioned much in all of the discussions about the new dline scheme.

Backup

Depth at 5/3 T. And I guess NT, but I never want to see him there.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Our boy from Bama had been getting slept in by a lot of people.

No.
Originally posted by jcs:

Backup

Agree

Good rotational player
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Depth at 5/3 T. And I guess NT, but I never want to see him there.

Agreed. LDE/5T backing up Buckner but can play the NT/1T too obviously. He's much stronger on the left (defensive) end side and solid at NT. Qualify rotational depth. At the 5T, just needs to seal that edge and collapse...won't offer much in pass rush obviously. Won't be double teamed anymore like in our 3-4 LDE spot.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 2, 2017 at 12:37 PM ]

NC...I'm still thinking Lynch will draft a stud DT...say maybe Carlos Watkins, a guy who could play alongside Mitchell, with Dial, Jones & Blair in reserve. Don't know about Tank...this could be his last shot, at least w/Niners. Just trying to get a feel for how many DL Saleh will keep and who they're likely to be.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
NC...I'm still thinking Lynch will draft a stud DT...say maybe Carlos Watkins, a guy who could play alongside Mitchell, with Dial, Jones & Blair in reserve. Don't know about Tank...this could be his last shot, at least w/Niners. Just trying to get a feel for how many DL Saleh will keep and who they're likely to be.

Yeah, lots of moving parts here...quite a few players with lots of versatility which is good because this defense requires pure 4-3 players as well as pure 3-4 players...hybrid. The big emphasis in this defense is speed edge rushers...we need about 3 or 4 really good ones rushing from both end positions and the SAM and if we tab a guy like Solomon Thomas for the interior pass rush, that's Bryant Young great to have! Physical press CB's who can play zone and a rangy single high FS and an in the box enforcer SS.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Yeah, lots of moving parts here...quite a few players with lots of versatility which is good because this defense requires pure 4-3 players as well as pure 3-4 players...hybrid. The big emphasis in this defense is speed edge rushers...we need about 3 or 4 really good ones rushing from both end positions and the SAM and if we tab a guy like Solomon Thomas for the interior pass rush, that's Bryant Young great to have! Physical press CB's who can play zone and a rangy single high FS and an in the box enforcer SS.

Thank you Command...been trying to come up with a "like", and BY is the guy. He reminded me of someone, and i just couldn't peg it. BY...yeah, That is Solomon.
Shucks, now I'm back to keeping our pick when before i wanted to trade back for Williiams. Then you said BY and it clicked. Now we gotta have him and at #2 , we do. NOW if someone wants him, back up the truck, and make it a Wentz 6 pak and make most of those 2 ones , 2 twos and two 3s, in this yr's draft. Cleve can owe us their #1 next yr.

I would rather have Solomon, but if Cleve dumped a 6 pack on us...whewwww.....probably have to take it...but that is solomon....Bryant Young.

And while at it has anyone come up with a better idea of how our DL would look here wth Solomon? Solomon AA Mitchell DeFo and Blair switches back and forth wide, running a 5 man DL. Is there a better way to line them up, if we take solomon? And where would Dial fit in here?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 2, 2017 at 3:11 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Our boy from Bama had been getting slept in by a lot of people.

No.

Sometimes you're only as good as your surrounding cast. But then you have arm chair GM's that if you're not a pro bowler or a 3 down player you're trash.
If Dial ends up being the low man on the totem pole next season, our O line and D line would be solidified for years to come. Staley may be older, but O-lineman can play awhile.
Share 49ersWebzone