LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
This pick is scouting 101 and if he turns out to be a better than average player it's just another example of what a strong staff we have when it comes to the defensive side of the rock. Dial was a late round pick that didn't play a whole lot at Alabama (a role player). Analysts predicted he was just D line depth to help against the run. Now the reports are showing that he's been a beast to guard even showing some quickness and pass rush ability. I don't know if his toe injury was bothering him in college or not and he just sucked it up. The real test will come week 1 but for now arrow up and important especially if Ian Williams isn't at full strength to start the year. We fell off a bit against the run last year partially to Justin's bad shoulder and some of it to a light line. Dial gives us that bigger body in the middle and if he can add any rush with the guys on the outside good luck to opposing offenses who try to throw in running situations. With a year of experience and being healthy now while being coached and being on an NFL training program it shows you how important the scouts and coaches are to be able to look at a guy's tape and project his ability and what you can get out of them combined with the things I just mentioned. If it works out credit to the scouting and coaching staff working together.

I think your understating Bamas depth. Its hard to break through on that squad. To begin Dial was a 4 star JC transfer. He only spent two years at bama. DE is pretty much a platoon position at Bama. In the base its a very simple position. Push the point of attack and cover your gap. DBs really get all the love at Bama. The dline in the 3-4 our two gapping run stuffers. He brings that to the table but you have to consider Tomsula is going to bring him to the next level. The kid has talent. Watch the ND game. He's 90 I think. His reach combines with his strength and makes him violent at the point of attack. He has a quickness to him though. Very functional for a guy his size with a great motor. I think you want to develop that against taller linemen. He could really be a TFL machine that collapses the pocket every 5 snaps.
Originally posted by juycho:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by JustMike:
I can see him gone come seasons beginning.

Barring injury I believe he's damn near a lock for the 53 man roster and he will be active on game day. Practically every camp report I've read is raving about Dial right along with Carradine.

This.

I also like how Dial has a nasty streak, I like that on the D Line. Put him and Brooks together a few times to scare the s**t out of the other team

This.

He is too good and to talented. If he doesn't make the team it is because we have other players that out play him on an already beastly DL. Count him as the future replacement of Brooks. IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's not replacing Brooks because they play completely different positions and why is everyone trying to bump him off the team anyway? Brooks is an All-Pro linebacker and an unselfish player.
Originally posted by Disp:
This is probably Dorsey's last year with the team, and we don't know if Ian Williams will ever be the same. I think it's pretty safe to say that he'll make the team if he keeps up like he has in preseason.
Why do you think so? He was mediocre at best in Kansas City. If San Francisco offers him a decent deal, he'll stay.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I think your understating Bamas depth. Its hard to break through on that squad. To begin Dial was a 4 star JC transfer. He only spent two years at bama. DE is pretty much a platoon position at Bama. In the base its a very simple position. Push the point of attack and cover your gap. DBs really get all the love at Bama. The dline in the 3-4 our two gapping run stuffers. He brings that to the table but you have to consider Tomsula is going to bring him to the next level. The kid has talent. Watch the ND game. He's 90 I think. His reach combines with his strength and makes him violent at the point of attack. He has a quickness to him though. Very functional for a guy his size with a great motor. I think you want to develop that against taller linemen. He could really be a TFL machine that collapses the pocket every 5 snaps.

Calais Campbell?
didnt they draft him to be a NT/DT? hes f**kin huge
Maybe it's time for him to take a few more snaps as NT......
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Mike Purcell, our last pure NT, looked also good this TC and took all the 1st. Team snaps in Dorsey´s absence yesterday !
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Mike Purcell, our last pure NT, looked also good this TC and took all the 1st. Team snaps in Dorsey´s absence yesterday !

That's good to hear. I still would like to see Dial getting more reps at NT just in case. I'd love to see a few shifts during the pre snap reads and the more experience he has at different positions, the better.

I can't see Purcell making the 53 man roster unless we have some serious injuries.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
49ers release first depth chart of training camp:

Nose tackle: Glenn Dorsey, Quinton Dial, Mike Purcell

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-release-first-depth-chart-training-camp
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
49ers release first depth chart of training camp:

Nose tackle: Glenn Dorsey, Quinton Dial, Mike Purcell

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-release-first-depth-chart-training-camp

I wasn't impressed with Dial last year, but I hope he plays well this thursday. Maybe I'm comparing all the nose tackles to Michael carter. I've never seen a more dominant DT/NT in my life.
Now, its Dial #1 on the depth chart till Williams can roll. Does this mean Purcell makes the team or the Big Brit?

Good thing he's been having a great camp hope he can shoulder the load though once the season starts, NEXT MAN UP!!!

• Tman
  • Veteran
Dial better bring it!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff

Tony Jerod-Eddie played 31 of his 385 defensive snaps at NT last year, Quinton Dial played 7 of his 19 snaps at the nose. #49ers
Alright Dial.. time to step the f**k up
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff

Tony Jerod-Eddie played 31 of his 385 defensive snaps at NT last year, Quinton Dial played 7 of his 19 snaps at the nose. #49ers

It TJE can play NT in a pinch with Dial being the starter that'd be great.
Share 49ersWebzone