There are 229 users in the forums

53 man roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Not sure if any 5th-7th rounders will make the 53 man roster so now we have a pretty decent idea what our roster could look like. My best guess:

QB (3)- Kap, McCoy, Tolzien
RB (6)- Gore, Hunter, James, Lattimore, Miller, Dixon
WR (6)- Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Jenkins, Patton, Williams
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, late round/FA OT
TE (3)- Davis, McDonald, Celek
DL (6)- Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, I. Williams, Tukuafu
OLB (4)- Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
ILB (4)- Willis, Bowman, Skuta, Wilhoite
CB (5)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock
S (4)- Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman
K (1)- Dawson
P (1)- Lee
LS (1)- Jennings

That's 52. I think the last spot will be a DB with the competition being Cox, McBath, Robinson, and Mike Thomas. Perhaps even 3 of these 4 start the season on the 53 man roster if Manningham and/or Lattimore start season on PUP. Pretty badass roster if I may say so myself!

I agree with most that Lattimore won't see the field this year leaving the roster at 51. My late April guess is that the last two spots will be filled with Robinson, Fleming and Dial. One will left outside looking in.
Unless the entire draftnik community (every website, MD, et al.) really missed something, Marquardt is going to make it over Bykowski. Bykowski played in the Big 12 and yet was not expected to be drafted by anyone. Marquardt had a 5th round grade.

By the time we were on the clock at 246 and still hadn't taken an OT, I think we pulled the trigger on Bykowki because we knew the 49ers were Marquardt's first choice in free agency. Drafting Bykowski was the easiest way to get them both in here. But Marquardt is going to win that battle.
Can we finally get rid of McBath, Spillman, and Brock? How long do we have to keep 4th stringers with no upside just because they play special teams? Didn't we sign Skuta and Dahl and draft Moody to play special teams? Wasn't our special teams unit below average last year? What am I missing?

Would rather use those roster spots on Fleming and Robinson and extra DL or OL.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Correct on both accounts.

Daniels is a long shot to make the roster. Harbaugh called him a Swiss Army Knife, which means he'll likely try him at different positions in camp.

Tolzien on the other hand has two years of experience in Roman's offense. I'd say he has the upper hand on McCoy for the two spot heading into training camp.

I think Daniels is going to be the perfect scout team QB he looks pretty talented in the read option.
I think Dial will beat out both Tukuafu and Dobbs on the 53
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

I agree. Dial was a good pick IMO. I could also see us keeping 7 DL, since Tukuafu and Dobbs have minor role on offense. But if it came down to it, I see problem with cutting both Tukuafu and Dobbs.
Originally posted by blm7754:

I agree. Dial was a good pick IMO. I could also see us keeping 7 DL, since Tukuafu and Dobbs have minor role on offense. But if it came down to it, I see problem with cutting both Tukuafu and Dobbs.

If we keep one of them (Tukuafu/Dobbs) I think Tukuafu is a better blocker for short yardage runs
Originally posted by blm7754:

If we keep one of them (Tukuafu/Dobbs) I think Tukuafu is a better blocker for short yardage runs

He's better on defense too.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Can we finally get rid of McBath, Spillman, and Brock? How long do we have to keep 4th stringers with no upside just because they play special teams? Didn't we sign Skuta and Dahl and draft Moody to play special teams? Wasn't our special teams unit below average last year? What am I missing?

Would rather use those roster spots on Fleming and Robinson and extra DL or OL.

Spillman is a great STer and a serviceable reserve in the secondary. There's no way we're losing him. I agree about Brock and McBath, though.

Keep in mind that these extra DLs and OLs you're referring to won't suit up and in many cases will never see the field. So would you rather have guys that actively help in the field position game or more guys who won't even play?
we can build two rosters, bump it up to 106

What really sucks is that our roster is so loaded that we will be waiving some good players. I can see the poachers salivating at our waiver wire already.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB: BJ Daniels, Nate Montana, Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy
RB: Jewel Hampton, Anthony Dixon, Lattimore (goes on IR)
FB: Will Tukuafu
TE: Demarcus Dobbs, MarQuies Gray, Brian Jennings, Cameron Morrah, Garret Celek
WR: Chad Hall, Joe Hastings, Marlon Moore, Mario Manningham (goes on IR), Ricardo Lockette, Chuck Jacobs, Kyle Willams
OL: Kenny Wiggins, Al Netter, Wayne Tribue, Carter Bykowski, Patrick Omameh, Luke Marquardt, Sherman Carter, Joe Looney, Daniel Kilgore

DL, Tony Jerrod-Eddie, Lamar Divens, Lawrence Okoye, Quinton Dial, Ian Williams
LB: Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody, Cam Johnson, Darius Fleming, Dan Skuta, Nate Stupar, Alex Debniak
CB: Marcus Cooper, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Darryl Morris
S: Darcel McBath, Michael Thomas, Trenton Robinson, CJ Spillman, Craig Dahl

P: Andy Lee
K: Phil Dawson
LS: Vance McDonald

Way too tough this year.

Probably better than Cleveland's roster....and Oakland's...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Probably better than Cleveland's roster....and Oakland's...

This team might be as good as the 2004 Dennis Erickson led team was. Just an embarrassment of riches.
I've thought about it long and hard and I have my guesses ready.

QB - Kaepernick, McCoy, Daniels
RB - Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller
TE - Davis, McDonald, Morrah
WR - Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham
OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Marquardt
DL - Justin, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial, Dorsey, Okoye
OLB - Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Haralson
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Skuta, Moody
CB - Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Asomugha, Cox
S - Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, Robinson
ST - Jennings, Dawson, Lee

IR - Lattimore
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I've thought about it long and hard and I have my guesses ready.

QB - Kaepernick, McCoy, Daniels
RB - Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller
TE - Davis, McDonald, Morrah
WR - Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham
OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Marquardt
DL - Justin, McDonald, Carradine, Williams, Dial, Dorsey, Okoye
OLB - Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Haralson
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Skuta, Moody
CB - Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Asomugha, Cox
S - Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, Robinson
ST - Jennings, Dawson, Lee

IR - Lattimore
Who's inactive? Does that change your roster? From your list, I have:
Dixon, Manningham, Marquardt, Ian Williams, Okoye, Haralson, Moody

• Will Dixon beat out Miller for starting FB
  • Do Carradine and Manningham begin the season on PUP
  • Will Moody beat out Fleming?
  • If Harbaugh was so interested in a multi-threat QB, wouldn't he have preferred Josh Johnson over Tolzien last year, or Johnson over Daniels this year?
Share 49ersWebzone