There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

53 man roster

My a**hole
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
  1. Secondary. I'm not the biggest Reid fan, but I wasn't a Goldson fan either. I think he solidifies us, but we lost a play-maker aspect as well. We're still average at CB, and lack for an impact playmaker.
  2. Speed on offense. LMJ and AJJ were added for that last year, and only 1 of them contributed. I love Patton but he's not a burner, and neither is McDonald. I think we'll have guys that could move the chains, but not stretch defenses out the way a Tavon Austin or Hunter would.
  3. Punt returner. Hmmmm.... we should probably do something about that...
  4. Solid OT backup. Somehow I'm not sure that a late 7th rd rookie will be able to fill that void right away

Looks like the plan will be to once again have Boone be the backup OT
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by ninergold:
There's going to be some serious competition for a single spot in a few different areas, and the flexibility the player has in playing multiple positions while contributing to special teams is going to put him over the top.

Williams, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Divens, Jerod-Eddie, Carradine and Dial - I would think only 3 survive. Dobbs and Tuk played TE and FB last year.
Williams has to be the lock, as the true NT. Maybe Dobbs and Tuk stick while Carradine is on PUP? But Tank is going to make one of those two lose their job. A couple of the remaining guys should hit the PS.

These guys should be judged on their abilities, not the fact they can play two positions

we couldnt get to the qb with these guys and play fell off when they subbed in. 49ers are trying to overhaul the dline with draft and FA addition

The only way I could of seen Dobbs sticking is as 3rd TE, but now with Vance McDonald, and then Morrah and Celek battling for 3rd TE, Dobbs is a goner IMO. We paid Ian a $1M bonus, and we wont cut him and eat that. Ian will be our new RJF, and Dorsey our new Sopoaga, only younger and better at this point in their careers.

It really comes down to 6th DL spot, Dial, Tukuafu, and whoever else, Jerod-Eddie, Divens, but they didn't help much, so rather go with Dial and an extra OLB over a 7th DL.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
My 53-man...

QB: Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB: Miller
TE: Davis, V. McDonald, Celek
WR: Crabtree, Jenkins, Moore
WR: Boldin, Williams, Patton
LT: Staley
LG: Iupati, Kilgore
C: Goodwin
RG: Boone, Looney
RT: Davis, Bykowski

DE: J. Smith, Carradine
NT: Dorsey, Williams
DE: R. McDonald, Dial
OLB: A. Smith, Lemonier
ILB: Willis, Skuta
ILB: Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody
OLB: Brooks, Haralson
CB: Rogers, Asomugha, Cox
CB: Brown, Culliver, Brock
FS: Reid, Spillman, McBath
SS: Whitner, Dahl

K: Dawson
P: Lee
LS: Jennings

PUP: Lattimore, Manningham

Notable Practice Squad candidates: Daniels, Okoye, Marquardt, Gray, Fleming, Johnson, Cooper

Notable Cuts: Dobbs, Tukuafu

Pretty sure this is 54...
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Not sure if any 5th-7th rounders will make the 53 man roster so now we have a pretty decent idea what our roster could look like. My best guess:

QB (3)- Kap, McCoy, Tolzien
RB (6)- Gore, Hunter, James, Lattimore, Miller, Dixon
WR (6)- Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Jenkins, Patton, Williams
OL (8)- Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Kilgore, Looney, late round/FA OT
TE (3)- Davis, McDonald, Celek
DL (6)- Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, I. Williams, Tukuafu
OLB (4)- Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
ILB (4)- Willis, Bowman, Skuta, Wilhoite
CB (5)- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock
S (4)- Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman
K (1)- Dawson
P (1)- Lee
LS (1)- Jennings

That's 52. I think the last spot will be a DB with the competition being Cox, McBath, Robinson, and Mike Thomas. Perhaps even 3 of these 4 start the season on the 53 man roster if Manningham and/or Lattimore start season on PUP. Pretty badass roster if I may say so myself!
Trust me, Lattimore will be on IR so he won't count against the 53.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,132
Originally posted by Knowledge:
I'm pretty sure we have seen the last of Anthony Dixon

I disagree, he is a core special teamer and did a very nice job in short yardage last year.
[ Edited by Tman on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM ]
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by ninergold:
There's going to be some serious competition for a single spot in a few different areas, and the flexibility the player has in playing multiple positions while contributing to special teams is going to put him over the top.

Williams, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Divens, Jerod-Eddie, Carradine and Dial - I would think only 3 survive. Dobbs and Tuk played TE and FB last year.
Williams has to be the lock, as the true NT. Maybe Dobbs and Tuk stick while Carradine is on PUP? But Tank is going to make one of those two lose their job. A couple of the remaining guys should hit the PS.

These guys should be judged on their abilities, not the fact they can play two positions

we couldnt get to the qb with these guys and play fell off when they subbed in. 49ers are trying to overhaul the dline with draft and FA addition

The only way I could of seen Dobbs sticking is as 3rd TE, but now with Vance McDonald, and then Morrah and Celek battling for 3rd TE, Dobbs is a goner IMO. We paid Ian a $1M bonus, and we wont cut him and eat that. Ian will be our new RJF, and Dorsey our new Sopoaga, only younger and better at this point in their careers.

It really comes down to 6th DL spot, Dial, Tukuafu, and whoever else, Jerod-Eddie, Divens, but they didn't help much, so rather go with Dial and an extra OLB over a 7th DL.
Right on point Jason.

The easy answer is look at what we did in the draft. When Justin went down we sucked no matter who went in. By drafting 2 DL it means (to me) that the staff saw that everybody left was ineffective and can be replaced.

RayMac-Dorsey-Smith
Dial-Ian-Tank

Stash somebody on the PS and we have a revamped DL from top to bottom.


I also think we can keep Fleming as a ILB/OLB emergency guy

Brooks-Aldon
Parys-Lemonier-(Fleming)

Bowman-Willis
Moody-Skuta-(Fleming)

Johnson to the PS
My Take:

QB - Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien

RB - Gore, Hunter, James, Miller, Dixon*

TE - Davis, McDonald

WR - Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Williams, Jenkins, Manningham**

OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A.Davis, Kilgore, Looney

DL - Justin, R.McDonald, Carradine, I.Williams, Dorsey

OLB - Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier, Haralson

ILB - Willis, Bowman, Skuta

CB - Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Asomugha

S - Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl

ST - Jennings, Dawson, Lee



46 locks



On the Bubble:



Need 1 TE

Morrah vs Celek

Need Swing Tackle

Bykowski vs Marquadt

DL depth

Tukuafu vs Dial vs Dobbs vs Okoye

Possible OLB depth

Fleming vs Johnson vs Moody

Need ILB Depth

Wilhoite vs ? (Grant?)

CB depth

Cox vs Brock vs Cooper

Possible S depth

McBath vs Robinson



1 from each would make 53



My guesses: Celek, Bykowski, Dial, Wilhoite, Cox, Robinson, best OLB



*Dixon keeps spot warm for Lattimore

** 1 more temporary spot if Manningham starts year on PUP
[ Edited by ninerfan97 on Apr 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM ]
QB: BJ Daniels, Nate Montana, Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy
RB: Jewel Hampton, Anthony Dixon, Lattimore (goes on IR)
FB: Will Tukuafu
TE: Demarcus Dobbs, MarQuies Gray, Brian Jennings, Cameron Morrah, Garret Celek
WR: Chad Hall, Joe Hastings, Marlon Moore, Mario Manningham (goes on IR), Ricardo Lockette, Chuck Jacobs, Kyle Willams
OL: Kenny Wiggins, Al Netter, Wayne Tribue, Carter Bykowski, Patrick Omameh, Luke Marquardt, Sherman Carter, Joe Looney, Daniel Kilgore

DL, Tony Jerrod-Eddie, Lamar Divens, Lawrence Okoye, Quinton Dial, Ian Williams
LB: Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody, Cam Johnson, Darius Fleming, Dan Skuta, Nate Stupar, Alex Debniak
CB: Marcus Cooper, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Darryl Morris
S: Darcel McBath, Michael Thomas, Trenton Robinson, CJ Spillman, Craig Dahl

P: Andy Lee
K: Phil Dawson
LS: Vance McDonald

Way too tough this year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
QB - Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien
RB - Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller
TE - Davis, McDonald, Morrah
WR - Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Williams, Jenkins
OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A.Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Bykowski
DL - Justin, R.McDonald, Carradine, I.Williams, Dial, Dorsey, Tukuafu
OLB - Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier, Haralson
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Fleming, Skuta
CB - Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock
S - Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath
ST - Jennings, Dawson, Lee

IR/PUP - Lattimore, Manningham

I don't think Trenton Robinson makes the team. Barring any injuries, the last spot may come down to Tukuafu vs. Wilhoite. I think how well Fleming does returning from injury will key into that decision as well.

Isn't Fleming an OLB?
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Lattimore likely goes on IR, and do you think we keep Jennings? Thought I read that McDonald could handle LS duties? I love Jennings, but that opens up another roster spot for an extra ST player.

I saw that vance was a long snapper. That had to have helped his draft stock for us. Love Jennings but dude is getting on.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
QB - Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien
RB - Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller
TE - Davis, McDonald, Morrah
WR - Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Williams, Jenkins
OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A.Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Bykowski
DL - Justin, R.McDonald, Carradine, I.Williams, Dial, Dorsey, Tukuafu
OLB - Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier, Haralson
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Fleming, Skuta
CB - Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock
S - Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath
ST - Jennings, Dawson, Lee

IR/PUP - Lattimore, Manningham

I don't think Trenton Robinson makes the team. Barring any injuries, the last spot may come down to Tukuafu vs. Wilhoite. I think how well Fleming does returning from injury will key into that decision as well.

Interesting list. I can see Lattimore not playing at all this year. But what about Manningham? You almost have to save room for him on the roster for when he is healthy.I guess you cut someone at that point? I could see a CB or safety being a casualty on this list. You have to wonder if we aren't going to let Vance try to push out Brian Jennings at long snapper.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
QB - Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien
RB - Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, Miller
TE - Davis, McDonald, Morrah
WR - Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Williams, Jenkins
OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A.Davis, Kilgore, Looney, Bykowski
DL - Justin, R.McDonald, Carradine, I.Williams, Dial, Dorsey, Tukuafu
OLB - Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier, Haralson
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Fleming, Skuta
CB - Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock
S - Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl, McBath
ST - Jennings, Dawson, Lee

IR/PUP - Lattimore, Manningham

I don't think Trenton Robinson makes the team. Barring any injuries, the last spot may come down to Tukuafu vs. Wilhoite. I think how well Fleming does returning from injury will key into that decision as well.

Interesting list. I can see Lattimore not playing at all this year. But what about Manningham? You almost have to save room for him on the roster for when he is healthy.I guess you cut someone at that point? I could see a CB or safety being a casualty on this list. You have to wonder if we aren't going to let Vance try to push out Brian Jennings at long snapper.

I doubt they are even considering pushing Jennings. No way we should keep a rookie LS over a proven Vet who is an all pro pro bowl caliber LS. A LS is worth a roster spot even as just a LS, since he is clearly the best in the league, and hasn't lost it.
QB- Kaep, Tolzien, McCoy
RB- Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon
FB- Miller
WR- Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Williams, Jenkins
TE- Davis, McDonald, Celek/Morrah
OL- Staley, Iuapti, Goodwin, Boone, Davis, Looney, Kilgore, Netter? Bykowski? Marquadt? Either Bykowski or Marquadt are going to the practice squad.
CB- Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Asomougha, Cox, Brock. It will be interesting to see who starts. This legitimately could be the best group of corners in the league from top to bottom. There are better tandems in the league, but I don't think anyone can go 4 deep with proven guys.
S- Reid, Whitner, Spillman (his spot should be safe because of special teams ability), Dalh, Robinson (I think the fact that they drafted only one safety and that he suited up some last season is a good sign for him).
OLB- Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Haralson- Best group of linebackers got even better.
ILB- Bowman, Willis, Skuta, Fleming (I think he will probably play both ILB and OLB).
DL- McDonald, Dorsey, Smith, Williams, Dial, Carradine

K- Dawson
P- Lee
ST- Jennings
PUP- Lattimore, Manningham

I still think Trenton Robinson could surprise some people. If he does make the roster, that would do a lot to help the perception of the 2012 draft class. Also does Darius Fleming have any practice squad eligibility? Depending on how much he plays, he could end up there once Manningham is ready to return, though we look pretty thin at ILB without Gooden and Grant.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I doubt they are even considering pushing Jennings. No way we should keep a rookie LS over a proven Vet who is an all pro pro bowl caliber LS. A LS is worth a roster spot even as just a LS, since he is clearly the best in the league, and hasn't lost it.

I hear you AB. But the man can't play forever. http://blogs.tennessean.com/high-school-sports/2013/04/28/former-ensworth-standout-signs-with-49ers-as-free-agent/ Maybe he feels like hanging it up? All I know is we drafted a guy who long snaps in addition to being a TE and I ran a quick search and found the story I just linked. The team clearly is trying to plan for the future and maybe the future is now. He hasn't lost it and I heard he wants to do this into his 40s. But clearly we are considering pushing him.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home