There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MARCUS LATTIMORE is a 49er!

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
We're in a tough position at the rb spot imo. Gore is getting old, lmj and hunter arent starting back material, and who knows how will Lattimore play.

Do we draft a rb high or....

if we dont get a great RB we will turn into a pass first team like the saints or pats. we'll use our RBs on screens and short routs and still have the dual threat of kaep running.

I won't mind this happening. But is Roman capable of doing that? I guess we will find out if it was Kaps limitations or Romans incompetence next season.

Roman leaves us after next year to become a HC anyway
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by crake49:
I guess my over-arching problem with this line of thinking is that having even the best players doesn't guarantee anything. Do you think this team is "stacked?" I think it's a real good team. But I keep reminding people that the Niners team in 1985, 86 and 87 had the greatest receiver of all time complimented by probably the best #2 the team has ever had, Joe Montana under center, Ronnie Lott in the secondary, two pro-bowl corners, Craig and Rathman at running back, a great offensive line and a great defense - they were one and done in the playoffs every one of those years. And then in 88, they went to 6-5 before they turned it around and went on an awesome run.

So, I just never get this expectation some fans have these days that they somehow SHOULD be winning a championship because it's a good team. But, to answer your question, this year Seattle had one of the greatest defenses in NFL history. They completely shut down the highest scoring offense in the history of the game.

1) The 49ers grotesque underperformance in those years is why Walsh quit. The 9ers easily could have won the super bowl every year from 81 -90 (except 82 and the 49-3 Giants shellacking). Why do you even bring this up? It's rude. For people who remember.

This is simply incorrect. Apart from one or two odd Internet sites, I can see no reputable source. The consensus, and quotations from the man himself support this, is that he was physically worn down and needed a break. The pressure on an NFL head coach is enormous.

He is widely quoted as regretting the decision almost immediately.

But anyway, common sense ought to indicate that having won, why should the man then retire because of the failure of previous years. That just doesn't make sense. No team wins year in year out. The NFL is closer than that.
Originally posted by English:
This is simply incorrect. Apart from one or two odd Internet sites, I can see no reputable source. The consensus, and quotations from the man himself support this, is that he was physically worn down and needed a break. The pressure on an NFL head coach is enormous.

He is widely quoted as regretting the decision almost immediately.

But anyway, common sense ought to indicate that having won, why should the man then retire because of the failure of previous years. That just doesn't make sense. No team wins year in year out. The NFL is closer than that.

My intuition says different. I have no reputable source to quote. From what I have read and glimpsed of him, the pressure Walsh brought on himself was enormous. The failures to advance in the playoffs were like a cosmic repudiation of the very offensive laws and axioms that Bill knew to be correct. He couldn't handle the disconnect between theory and practice, imo, and the resulting turmoil was just incomprehensible for him, both personally and professionally. When they lost, he would put himself on the rack to figure out what he did wrong. He couldn't let it go, or recognize that sometimes things are just out of our control. He couldn't accept that. He couldn't accept that another team might have outfoxed him on that day, or that fate and Leonard Marshall or Jim Burt could take out your quarterback at just the wrong time. Winning that last super bowl was like a surprise plot twist that allowed him to perfectly close the curtain on the chaotic motley imperfect improvisation of coaching a football team in competition. He didn't hesitate to take it. He knew he had given everything he could have given, but that the job required so so much more.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for brodiebluebanaszak.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
SEA didn't have to face the same defense that SF and DEN faced. We had weapons and DEN had weapons but SEA defense was just better. We can't stand pat because we have talent now. We have to improve both our talent and our performance. Coach better QB better get open better make plays better. We need to draft a couple WRs that can give us more of what we need in SEA!

I think the two wr's are pretty far down on the list. In fact, I don't care about them. I care about your first two points much more. And you are right, we can't stand pat.
My intuition says different. I have no reputable source to quote. From what I have read and glimpsed of him, the pressure Walsh brought on himself was enormous. The failures to advance in the playoffs were like a cosmic repudiation of the very offensive laws and axioms that Bill knew to be correct. He couldn't handle the disconnect between theory and practice, imo, and the resulting turmoil was just incomprehensible for him, both personally and professionally. When they lost, he would put himself on the rack to figure out what he did wrong. He couldn't let it go, or recognize that sometimes things are just out of our control. He couldn't accept that. He couldn't accept that another team might have outfoxed him on that day, or that fate and Leonard Marshall or Jim Burt could take out your quarterback at just the wrong time. Winning that last super bowl was like a surprise plot twist that allowed him to perfectly close the curtain on the chaotic motley imperfect improvisation of coaching a football team in competition. He didn't hesitate to take it. He knew he had given everything he could have given, but that the job required so so much more.

Have you read his book? Pretty amazing stuff, worth checking out.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
You may very well be right on again on this one...and I haven't even considered the possibility of a quality veteran WR who is out there and willing to take less money to play for a Championship caliber team. The future's so bright, ya gotta wear

A quality veteran willing to take less money? I suppose it's possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. But I'm with you 100%. I see great things ahead for this Niners team.

I think we're at that stage now...FA's flocked to Seattle last off seeason for a chance to win a Superbowl and many of those FA's were the difference (esp. against us). We're already seeing some bigger named cuts already. After the draft and teams go younger and cheaper and are pinned up against the cap, we may see some guys like Boldin out on the market who could potentially come here and have big years. But to your point, I'll believe it too when I see it
  • DeUh
1) The 49ers grotesque underperformance in those years is why Walsh quit. The 9ers easily could have won the super bowl every year from 81 -90 (except 82 and the 49-3 Giants shellacking). Why do you even bring this up? It's rude. For people who remember.

2) Don't hyperbolize the seahawks. Not one of the greatest of all time. Although denver sure made them look like the greatest d of all time. Denver has a habit of doing that in the super bowl -- losing by catastrophic proportions.

My point is if seattle can win with tate, baldwin, Kearse and two tight ends I can't even remember, why do we need more than Davis, Boldin, Crabs, McD, Patton, Gore, Hunter, James out of the back and manningham or whoever might fill in for manningham if he can't make it back?

Because as a defense you have to respect the speed of tate baldwin kearse ( and harvin = superbowl ) which makes it tougher to defend lynch. sooner or later they will get you with a play action pass to one of those. thats all they needed with lynch, that defense and homefield advantage.
Niners and Seahawks are the two best teams but are completely different.
Coach Steve Spurrier talking about Jadeveon Clowney's work ethic....

"He was OK. It wasn't like Marcus Lattimore, you know, every player is a little different," Spurrier said. "His work habits are pretty good, they're not quite like Lattimore, maybe Stephon Gilmore, Melvin Ingram, some of those guys, but when the ball is snapped he's got something no one else has."

• DeUh
Originally posted by Janitor:

"He was OK. It wasn't like Marcus Lattimore, you know, every player is a little different," Spurrier said. "His work habits are pretty good, they're not quite like Lattimore, maybe Stephon Gilmore, Melvin Ingram, some of those guys, but when the ball is snapped he's got something no one else has."

. I go watch some more of his highlight videos now.

That's why Lattimore is going to be the next man up, in my opinion. Because he wants it and works harder that most everyone else.
is he the gay guy? do not want
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

That's why Lattimore is going to be the next man up, in my opinion. Because he wants it and works harder that most everyone else.

I really really hope he turns into a superstar...not just for our team, but for him. I dont think I have ever been pulling for a kid to make it this way comming out of college...just seems like a guy who has earned it every step of the way,and still been dealt a raw deal. I honestly think anyone who knows football is pulling for this him to make it at the next level. Niner fan or not.
we'll see
Great doc on Marcus now on NFL Network
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Yeah, he doesn't remind me of Gore at all. Two completely different backs with different styles. I see more Lynch in him than Gore tbh (watch Lynch @ Cal).

Reminds me of Corey Dillon a little bit

Good comparison.

That would be awesome if he was like Corey Dillon. That is exactly what we need.