There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MARCUS LATTIMORE is a 49er!

Even though he has yet to carry the ball in a game for us, there is a tremendous amount of hope, optimism, and pressure on Lattimore. He seems really eager to learn and to contribute and thats about all you can ask at this point. Hopefully he can get his pass protection down. The sooner he does that the sooner he hits the field.
[ Edited by AZ9erfan520 on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
Can't wait to see this kid next season. Barring injury he's taking the backup role from Hunter.

his pass protection was poor in college. even if 100%, i don't see him supplanting anyone anytime soon.
I'm excited to see how he turns out, but I think we need to temper our enthusiasm a little bit. He could be a great pick, but he's far from a lock to step in and be immediately productive. I mean, even with the knee injury, he still dropped to the 4th round. I think he has a lot of potential, but who knows how he will turn out.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Can't wait to see this kid next season. Barring injury he's taking the backup role from Hunter.

his pass protection was poor in college. even if 100%, i don't see him supplanting anyone anytime soon.

Here is his first from injury game tape against vandebilt last year the kid does everything catch, block, runs 4.5 and with Gore as his mentor I believe they will split carries. Hunter does NOT offer much imo
[ Edited by Harbaalke on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:38 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by lamontb:
based simply off of his major knee injuries he is just another guy until proven otherwise. what frank gore over came was great but its no the norm. wish the best for the kid but i dont have much expectations of him and certainly am not depending on him.

c/s Just have no clue what they have in this guy. Samething to be said about Tank. These guys might never be right for real. Wait and see.

you could say the same about tank. although its an acl injury that typically you can come back from. he is also a d-lineman. lattimore had an acl, then the next year one of the worst knee injuries i have ever seen. yes he was good before hand, but will he get back to that? he is a running back and that is far more cause for concern for me that a d-lineman. i wish him the best and would love to see a nice run or two in the preseason to get me to change my mind, i just need to see it first before i buy in and depend on him.

One thing I can say about the Lattimore injury. It LOOKED horrific, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. It was "just" the three ligaments. No nerve damage, etc.

Given his work ethic I think he has an excellent chance to come all the way back.

Now..what DOES worry me is that he might be prone to injuries due to his running style...but then again I worried the same thing with Frank.

i agree. i just think he has such a name value as a good college player people just think oh we got lattimore we'll be fine. i tend to pump the brakes on things a bit in that regard.

Thank makes two of us. I will say though that these injuries are less and less of a threat to a back's career. Guys are healing insanely quick and playing pretty well considering.
My vote is by mid season next year were in a thread chatting about whether we should make Lattimore the starter and Frank the back up, I feel like the coaching staff is going to keep starting Frank and even tho Latt is killing it.
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
My vote is by mid season next year were in a thread chatting about whether we should make Lattimore the starter and Frank the back up, I feel like the coaching staff is going to keep starting Frank and even tho Latt is killing it.

Latt will be named the starter at mid season.
What is Gore's contract status? Isn't he up? I thought he signed a three-year deal when Harbaugh came onboard. Well, it's been three years...
Originally posted by billbird2111:
What is Gore's contract status? Isn't he up? I thought he signed a three-year deal when Harbaugh came onboard. Well, it's been three years...

3 year extension, he had 1 year left at the time

From what I just read online, the 49ers could get out of this contract real easy with no salary cap ramifications -- they would owe him nothing for 2014.

But that's a big risk to take. I'm not sure Harbaugh would just hand over the keys to an unproven, red-shirt rookie, no matter how much promise he has.
He has everything you want as a running back but it also comes down to picking up the blitz. I think this is what cost LMJ more playing time.
Gore/Latt/Hunter platoon. If gore refuses to restructure, then you have to cut him and draft a RB...i LOVE gore but at 6 mil it isnt worth it.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
talented guy but, in the nfl, he'll be relatively easy to hit. he'll take on a good deal of punishment; how long will he last?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5br1AtXCuA

epic comeback ahead

From what I just read online, the 49ers could get out of this contract real easy with no salary cap ramifications -- they would owe him nothing for 2014.

But that's a big risk to take. I'm not sure Harbaugh would just hand over the keys to an unproven, red-shirt rookie, no matter how much promise he has.
Why not? He kind of did that with Kap, didn't he?