There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MARCUS LATTIMORE is a 49er!

Originally posted by USCJD:
Another Gamecock fan here. Yes, I also registered just to post here about Lattimore.

I have never been a huge professional football fan. I grew up a college fan and always felt like the pro game lacked the same simple, unadultered feel that college football did. Never did I think that a draft pick would change my opinion. Boy was I wrong.

I followed Marcus closely while I attended USC. I shared in every victory Marcus earned and felt the pain every time he suffered a setback. Marcus isn't just a football player in South Carolina. Marcus represents this ideal, this attitude, this strength that all of us wish we had the ability to muster in times of hardship. His relentless optimism and unquestionable character have inspired so many to strive to handle the unexpected circumstances life sometimes brings with his same grace and composure. Marcus's devotion to his teammates, his family, and his community engendered a feeling of family within all of the USC and South Carolina community. We all feel like we are and strive to be like Marcus Lattimore. As we moved to face the inevitable, it was with bittersweet feelings that we had to accept that Marcus would move on to the NFL. I think we were all reluctant to see him go, but beyond excited to see where.

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading everything I can get my hands on about Marcus and his recent acquisition by the 49ers. Having done that, I'm not sure there would have been a better place for Marcus to be or a better fan-base for him to be adopted by. My excitement for Lattimore has seemed to only compound itself in the recent days and weeks since learning more about the 49ers, their fans, and their reception of Marcus. It seems that Marcus has moved away from his South Carolina family only to join an even larger, equally warm and welcoming west-coast clan. I am absolutely delighted to see ya'll talk about Lattimore with the same sincerity and respect that came to accompany his name during his years at USC.

I know I'm just another one of the Lattimore bandwagon fans. No doubt about that. There was no doubt that I'd be watching the games and following Lattimore, but, from what I've seen of the 49er community thus far, I think that my bandwagon beginnings are manifesting into full-fledged fandom. Needless to say, I'm on board and am excited to see what the 49ers and Lattimore will do in the coming years.

It is with great pride that I say, Go Lattimore, Go 49ers!

Cool bro. I lived in Columbia for 3 years and I saw first hand how passionate the SC fans were to their college team, especially during the Clemson week. I know the panthers came much later, and its in NC. We welcome Lattimore as almost all of us were dying to draft this kid. We welcome some new followers of the team. Look forward to rooting for the niners and Marcus in the future with ya.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by USCJD:
Another Gamecock fan here. Yes, I also registered just to post here about Lattimore.

I have never been a huge professional football fan. I grew up a college fan and always felt like the pro game lacked the same simple, unadultered feel that college football did. Never did I think that a draft pick would change my opinion. Boy was I wrong.

I followed Marcus closely while I attended USC. I shared in every victory Marcus earned and felt the pain every time he suffered a setback. Marcus isn't just a football player in South Carolina. Marcus represents this ideal, this attitude, this strength that all of us wish we had the ability to muster in times of hardship. His relentless optimism and unquestionable character have inspired so many to strive to handle the unexpected circumstances life sometimes brings with his same grace and composure. Marcus's devotion to his teammates, his family, and his community engendered a feeling of family within all of the USC and South Carolina community. We all feel like we are and strive to be like Marcus Lattimore. As we moved to face the inevitable, it was with bittersweet feelings that we had to accept that Marcus would move on to the NFL. I think we were all reluctant to see him go, but beyond excited to see where.

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading everything I can get my hands on about Marcus and his recent acquisition by the 49ers. Having done that, I'm not sure there would have been a better place for Marcus to be or a better fan-base for him to be adopted by. My excitement for Lattimore has seemed to only compound itself in the recent days and weeks since learning more about the 49ers, their fans, and their reception of Marcus. It seems that Marcus has moved away from his South Carolina family only to join an even larger, equally warm and welcoming west-coast clan. I am absolutely delighted to see ya'll talk about Lattimore with the same sincerity and respect that came to accompany his name during his years at USC.

I know I'm just another one of the Lattimore bandwagon fans. No doubt about that. There was no doubt that I'd be watching the games and following Lattimore, but, from what I've seen of the 49er community thus far, I think that my bandwagon beginnings are manifesting into full-fledged fandom. Needless to say, I'm on board and am excited to see what the 49ers and Lattimore will do in the coming years.

It is with great pride that I say, Go Lattimore, Go 49ers!

Cool bro. I lived in Columbia for 3 years and I saw first hand how passionate the SC fans were to their college team, especially during the Clemson week. I know the panthers came much later, and its in NC. We welcome Lattimore as almost all of us were dying to draft this kid. We welcome some new followers of the team. Look forward to rooting for the niners and Marcus in the future with ya.

Lived there for 2 years and they're definitely crazy for their gamecocks, loved partying it up at 5 points during the season. Great times
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Man, these Gamecock fans are classy. I gotta visit South Carolina some time.
If you were to get a ticket to Gamecock home game, you would have a blast and see how football-crazy us Gamecocks are about our team !
Gamecocks are my new favorite college team.
Originally posted by susweel:

The Gamecocks should have a very good team this season. If things fall into place and we win the games we should, we may be making a run for the SEC championship. Time will tell.
[ Edited by whirledps on May 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM ]
Yep.. other than South Carolina there is only 3 other BCS schools that have won 11 or more games the last 2 years. They are Alabama, Stanford and Oregon. That should tell you who the best team in the SEC East is over the last 2-3 years and Lattimore was the catalyst for it all. We'll probably still be about #8 in the preseason polls but with our schedule lining up nicely this season we should move up the polls fast. 22-4 in the last 2 seasons aint bad! It's a great time to be a gamecock.
[ Edited by 49erGamecock on May 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM ]
Well Niner nation I am going to have to hop on the bandwagon!! Never have been an NFL fan really. I just think the atmosphere of college games gets me more riled up. I can say however that VD has been one of my favorite players in the league for quite some time though. This will have to change now due to the fact that the son of USC has been drafted by your organization!! Like many before me have posted he is a great player and even better man, so I won't go on repeating all of this. With never having an allegiance to a pro team and hating the Panthers I can proudly say I will be following as much 49ers games as I can from now on, and hope to see them in Bank of America stadium in the near future whoppin up on the Panthers!!
Yeah the 49ers just picked up a whole states worth of new fans with this pick.
I'm just glad living in Utah, that the two teams that get the most "local coverage" are the Broncos (most people's out here #1) and the 49'ers.
Originally posted by susweel:

What does their mascot look like?
I don't think I've ever seen this many fans of a college team join the board because of a particular player.
Now if the Niner's can only draft Jadeveon Clowney in the next draft!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1627921-why-jadeveon-clowney-is-the-best-pro-prospect-in-all-of-college-football

Originally posted by verb1der:
What does their mascot look like?

Our mascot is a fighting Gamecock, not named after the so-called sport, but named after Thomas Sumter.

Thomas Sumter (August 14, 1734 – June 1, 1832) was a soldier in the Virginia militia, planter, hero of the American Revolution as a brigadier general in the South Carolina militia, and politician. He was later repeatedly elected to the United States House of Representatives and to the United States Senate, where he served from 1801-1810, when he retired. He was nicknamed the "Carolina Gamecock" for his attack on British soldiers after they burned down his house during the American Revolutionary War and his fierce fighting style.
[ Edited by whirledps on May 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM ]