There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MARCUS LATTIMORE is a 49er!

I think Lattimore will be a good back, but I don't think he's a special back. He doesn't seem to really be elite at anything. He just seems solid all around. People keep saying he's the next Gore, but I think Gore is/was a much better back. Gore runs with much better pad level and I think hits the holes much quicker. Gore is so special because of his tremendous vision and ability to be patient, set up blocks, and hit the hole immediately. Not sure if Lattimore has that ability. I hope he does.

It doesn't look like Lattimore has much power for being over 220 pounds. His legs look kind of weak, kinda like Darren Mcfadden type of legs. He's not all that fast and not really a homerun threat. He runs high a lot and just overall doesn't look all that explosive.

Just an observation of mine. I think he'll be a good back, but I don't think he's really a game changer. Wish he was the next Adrian Peterson, Lesean Mccoy, or MJD, but I just don't really see amazing plays out of him.

Somebody tell me that I'm trippin and he's going to be a complete stud that scares the s**t out of defenses.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by RY4N:
Hello Niner fans. I sure hope you guys aren't tired of us Gamecocks coming over here! I am probably repeating what others have said but you got a helluva player and person in Marcus Lattimore. I previously had no allegiance to any NFL team prior to the draft and I decided ever since Marcus announced he was forgoing his last year of eligibility at South Carolina to declare for the NFL Draft that whoever picked him would become the team I pull for. I was so glad it was the 49ers! I definitely had a short list of NFL teams that I wanted him to go to and I believe the 49er organization is possibly the most perfect situation I could have hoped for. A team with such a great history and tradition gained someone who will only further that legacy in Marcus Lattimore.

I was at the game where Marcus Lattimore played his unfortunate final down of South Carolina football. When the injury happened I had no idea how bad it was. My friend who was watching on TV texted me a couple minutes later and just said "Man... it's bad..." I hurt so much for Lattimore in that moment. Possibly one of the most moving things I've ever seen in sports happened when both benches cleared to go out to center field where Marcus was about to be carted off. This is a picture I took at the time:

I had never seen something like that before. It really gives you an idea of how much respect this guy receives, and the best part is that he is so humble about everything he does. One thing that you can be 110% sure of is that he is going to come in and work his a** off for you guys and get back to full health. He is already setting what doctors have called an "impossible" pace for his rehab. He is going to be the ideal team mate and one day I'm sure, a team leader. After his injury our state declared October 29th to be 'Marcus Lattimore Day." This comes a couple days after the injury and also coincides with his birthday.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I just wanted to do like many others have done and let you know what great value the 49ers received with a 4th round pick. I can GUARANTEE that as long as this guy wears a 49ers jersey, he will become one of your all-time favorite players over the next decade and do many great things for the San Francisco 49ers. Thanks and I hope to become an active member of the board. I hope you don't consider us (Gamecock fans, new 49er fans) any kind of bandwagoners. I'm already starting to like the feel of calling myself part of Niner Nation! Go Gamecocks & Go 49ers!

Awesome post and welcome!!

Seriously, fantastic post and insight. We welcome any college fan to the pros. You certainly picked the right team...sounds like Marcus was BORN to be a Niner (like CK)...pure class. Welcome and chime in as much as you'd like on any subject.
Originally posted by kronik:
Hello Niner fans. I sure hope you guys aren't tired of us Gamecocks coming over here! I am probably repeating what others have said but you got a helluva player and person in Marcus Lattimore. I previously had no allegiance to any NFL team prior to the draft and I decided ever since Marcus announced he was forgoing his last year of eligibility at South Carolina to declare for the NFL Draft that whoever picked him would become the team I pull for. I was so glad it was the 49ers! I definitely had a short list of NFL teams that I wanted him to go to and I believe the 49er organization is possibly the most perfect situation I could have hoped for. A team with such a great history and tradition gained someone who will only further that legacy in Marcus Lattimore.

I was at the game where Marcus Lattimore played his unfortunate final down of South Carolina football. When the injury happened I had no idea how bad it was. My friend who was watching on TV texted me a couple minutes later and just said "Man... it's bad..." I hurt so much for Lattimore in that moment. Possibly one of the most moving things I've ever seen in sports happened when both benches cleared to go out to center field where Marcus was about to be carted off. This is a picture I took at the time:

I had never seen something like that before. It really gives you an idea of how much respect this guy receives, and the best part is that he is so humble about everything he does. One thing that you can be 110% sure of is that he is going to come in and work his a** off for you guys and get back to full health. He is already setting what doctors have called an "impossible" pace for his rehab. He is going to be the ideal team mate and one day I'm sure, a team leader. After his injury our state declared October 29th to be 'Marcus Lattimore Day." This comes a couple days after the injury and also coincides with his birthday.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I just wanted to do like many others have done and let you know what great value the 49ers received with a 4th round pick. I can GUARANTEE that as long as this guy wears a 49ers jersey, he will become one of your all-time favorite players over the next decade and do many great things for the San Francisco 49ers. Thanks and I hope to become an active member of the board. I hope you don't consider us (Gamecock fans, new 49er fans) any kind of bandwagoners. I'm already starting to like the feel of calling myself part of Niner Nation! Go Gamecocks & Go 49ers!

Awesome post and welcome!!

I've never met [over the internet] such a classy bunch of fans in my life. If the collective character of South Carolina fan's is any indicator of Marcus Lattimore's character, then we definitely have something special on our hands. This may very well be the steal of the draft -- which says a lot when we drafted Tank Carradine and Quinton Patton.

Welcome aboard.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I've never met [over the internet] such a classy bunch of fans in my life. If the collective character of South Carolina fan's is any indicator of Marcus Lattimore's character, then we definitely have something special on our hands. This may very well be the steal of the draft -- which says a lot when we drafted Tank Carradine and Quinton Patton.

Welcome aboard.

Are you telling me Seahawk fans aren't as classy?!?!
I hope he wears #34 if it isn't already taken.
[ Edited by 49erGamecock on Apr 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

Welcome aboard.

Are you telling me Seahawk fans aren't as classy?!?!

lol. To be fair, there are a few good ones who add insight to this board. But a majority that I've encountered... well...
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I think Lattimore will be a good back, but I don't think he's a special back. He doesn't seem to really be elite at anything. He just seems solid all around. People keep saying he's the next Gore, but I think Gore is/was a much better back. Gore runs with much better pad level and I think hits the holes much quicker. Gore is so special because of his tremendous vision and ability to be patient, set up blocks, and hit the hole immediately. Not sure if Lattimore has that ability. I hope he does.

It doesn't look like Lattimore has much power for being over 220 pounds. His legs look kind of weak, kinda like Darren Mcfadden type of legs. He's not all that fast and not really a homerun threat. He runs high a lot and just overall doesn't look all that explosive.

Just an observation of mine. I think he'll be a good back, but I don't think he's really a game changer. Wish he was the next Adrian Peterson, Lesean Mccoy, or MJD, but I just don't really see amazing plays out of him.

Somebody tell me that I'm trippin and he's going to be a complete stud that scares the s**t out of defenses.

With what little I have seen from lattimore what impresses me is that he seems like he is just a very good all around everydown back. At 220 a 4.5 time is pretty quick, and his first cut is a commanding one . Seems like the kind of guy who can get you the short yard situations as well as average over five yards per carry. He doesn't dazzle per say but with hunter and James will form the best rb team in the nfl for years to come...
[ Edited by matthewabbit on Apr 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM ]
Some scouts said Lattimore's running style doesn't translate well at the pro level because he runs high, is this true?
Lattimore must be very special. I've browsed these boards for many years, and I've never seen one of our draftees get this much love and support from college fans who want to let everyone know how great of a player and person we're getting. That's awesome.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Some scouts said Lattimore's running style doesn't translate well at the pro level because he runs high, is this true?

adrian peterson and eric dickerson run/ran high too. doesnt seem to be a problem. Marcus is a special back, anyone doubting that is in for a great surprise. i barely watch college ball but i started hearing the hype on this guy and caught a few games and he did not disappoint. truly a special talent.
  • RY4N
I'm not sure where anyone heard about ML running with a high pad level. If you want to get an idea of what kind of running back Lattimore is molded to do in a game when he is 100%, maybe one of the best examples is his 2010 game against the Georgia Bulldogs. Only his second game in a college jersey, as a true freshman he had 37 carries, 182 yards, 2 TD (avg 4.9 ypc), 1 rec for 16 yards and broke 42 tackles! Yes, he broke more tackles than he had carries. To me anyways, I think he runs with great vision, patience, power, and realizes where he needs to make his first cut quicker than most any back. Which is probably the biggest concern about not rushing him back, so he can get his "first cut ability" back. Any highlight of Lattimore playing at South Carolina, you have to realize he was doing great things behind a poor to average, at best, offensive line. And SEC teams front seven aren't exactly forgiving. From what I know, the 49ers have one of the best, if not the best, offensive lines in the NFL. So I can only imagine that as long as that's the case, ML will have a chance to do great things when he's at full health.

His running style isn't going allow him to break 80+ yard TDs or burn many sub 4.4 corners, but he sure as hell will run over one. This guy is tailor-made to physically punish and drain a defense. One thing everyone notices is that when the game gets into the 4th quarter, and everyones slowing down and getting weaker, Lattimore gets stronger. It's almost a super-human thing to watch. Here I will leave a video of every carry Lattimore had in the 2010 Georgia game I was talking about. Pardon the quality/music but this will really give you an idea of what this guy is meant to do for the 49ers for many years to come.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Lattimore must be very special. I've browsed these boards for many years, and I've never seen one of our draftees get this much love and support from college fans who want to let everyone know how great of a player and person we're getting. That's awesome.

This is true! The guy is a recruiting sergeant for us! Very much looking forward to seeing him play.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I'm not sure where anyone heard about ML running with a high pad level. If you want to get an idea of what kind of running back Lattimore is molded to do in a game when he is 100%, maybe one of the best examples is his 2010 game against the Georgia Bulldogs. Only his second game in a college jersey, as a true freshman he had 37 carries, 182 yards, 2 TD (avg 4.9 ypc), 1 rec for 16 yards and broke 42 tackles! Yes, he broke more tackles than he had carries. To me anyways, I think he runs with great vision, patience, power, and realizes where he needs to make his first cut quicker than most any back. Which is probably the biggest concern about not rushing him back, so he can get his "first cut ability" back. Any highlight of Lattimore playing at South Carolina, you have to realize he was doing great things behind a poor to average, at best, offensive line. And SEC teams front seven aren't exactly forgiving. From what I know, the 49ers have one of the best, if not the best, offensive lines in the NFL. So I can only imagine that as long as that's the case, ML will have a chance to do great things when he's at full health.

His running style isn't going allow him to break 80+ yard TDs or burn many sub 4.4 corners, but he sure as hell will run over one. This guy is tailor-made to physically punish and drain a defense. One thing everyone notices is that when the game gets into the 4th quarter, and everyones slowing down and getting weaker, Lattimore gets stronger. It's almost a super-human thing to watch. Here I will leave a video of every carry Lattimore had in the 2010 Georgia game I was talking about. Pardon the quality/music but this will really give you an idea of what this guy is meant to do for the 49ers for many years to come.

I think he will be a beast behind our o-line with the run blocking we have.
I felt so bad for the kid when he got injured. So happy that we got him. It's a win-win situation IMO.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Is it me, or does ML have a eerily similar running style to Frank Gore? Only bigger stronger and probably a tad faster too?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home