Not a member? Register Now!

MARCUS LATTIMORE is a 49er!

• Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Garcia:
was right:

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season

can he still practice if we pup him the whole year?

From that sentence i would beleive no.

when your on PUP you dont practice
Originally posted by jreff22:
was right:

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season

can he still practice if we pup him the whole year?

From that sentence i would beleive no.

when your on PUP you dont practice

Yea that adds a bit of a wrench into things.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran

put him on IR

put him on IR

Doesnt that count towards the roster count though? That was the whole point to wanting him on the PUP.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran

put him on IR

Doesnt that count towards the roster count though? That was the whole point to wanting him on the PUP.

If he is on the 53 man roster, he can technically be called back at some point during the year.

but if not on the roster and is designated he can't practice but that doesnt count toward a roster spot. so we can keep him on the team but no other team can grab him....

not sure what you do.
[ Edited by Garcia on Apr 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM ]

put him on IR

If he is on the 53 man roster, he can technically be called back at some point during the year.

but if not on the roster and is designated he can't practice but that doesnt count toward a roster spot. so we can keep him on the team but no other team can grab him....

not sure what you do.

Yea its a tough spot. Ultimately i think if he is close to 100% then you just keep him on the roster so he can contribute in case of injury. If not than its a tough decision to IR and lose the extra man, or PUP him, and have him not be able to practice.
Sounds like he is a redshirt. Which is good because he will need to get the strength back and we don't need him yet. I think this is a rehab/ playbook year for Lat. He won't be lazy, he will get a paycheck, and he will be very good for us next year. We have 3 capable backs but now we have insurance for a downslide on the aging Gore. So smart to get him this year when we don't need yet.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Most talented back in the draft. Would've been a 1st rounder if not for the injury that apparently he is recovering miraculously from.
Watched his highlight video but his O-line was so talented, hard to tell how good he is. I don't mind taking the chance though=]
Originally posted by Walsh:
Watched his highlight video but his O-line was so talented, hard to tell how good he is. I don't mind taking the chance though=]

As a Gamecock Fan, I have absolutely got to correct this. :)

The one thing that has really kept Carolina from winning an SEC title during Spurrier's tenure has been our o-line. Marcus (and a great fullback who blocked for him and now plays for the Chiefs, I think--Patrick Dimarco) made our o-line look exceptional Marcus's freshman year, but it was mostly Marcus. Even after Marcus lost this fullback, he continued to gain yards his sophomore and junior years when few of our other backs could.

The reason Marcus was able to do so well even with our poor o-line is that he has incredible patience, vision and balance--he has been able to anticipate and cut through a hole at the line of scrimmage like no back I've ever seen at Carolina. Spurrier has always said that all you had to do was give Marcus the slightest crease, and he could get through it and be running down the field. Our other backs simply haven't had that gift, and it is a gift--I watched it time and time again: you'd think that Marcus would be stopped behind the line, and all of a sudden he was on the other side and picking up yards.

I don't want to call our o-line out, but they have not been a big reason for Marcus's success. Of course, he'll say otherwise and praise them to the skies every chance he gets.
[ Edited by GamecockFan on Apr 28, 2013 at 6:40 AM ]
Very happy for our team and for Marcus Lattimore on this pick! God speed Marcus. I'm looking forward to this being a great story for years to come.
Originally posted by GamecockFan:
Originally posted by Walsh:

As a Gamecock Fan, I have absolutely got to correct this. :)

The one thing that has really kept Carolina from winning an SEC title during Spurrier's tenure has been our o-line. Marcus (and a great fullback who blocked for him and now plays for the Chiefs, I think--Patrick Dimarco) made our o-line look exceptional Marcus's freshman year, but it was mostly Marcus. Even after Marcus lost this fullback, he continued to gain yards his sophomore and junior years when few of our other backs could.

The reason Marcus was able to do so well even with our poor o-line is that he has incredible patience, vision and balance--he has been able to anticipate and cut through a hole at the line of scrimmage like no back I've ever seen at Carolina. Spurrier has always said that all you had to do was give Marcus the slightest crease, and he could get through it and be running down the field. Our other backs simply haven't had that gift, and it is a gift--I watched it time and time again: you'd think that Marcus would be stopped behind the line, and all of a sudden he was on the other side and picking up yards.

I don't want to call our o-line out, but they have not been a big reason for Marcus's success. Of course, he'll say otherwise and praise them to the skies every chance he gets.

Amen Gamecock!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's going to be fun following Marcus's progress in the coming years.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM ]
I love the insitght of the Gamecock fans. Thank you all for your support of Marcus. Further convincing me that we potentially have a theft of a draft.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

put him on IR

not sure what you do.

Yea its a tough spot. Ultimately i think if he is close to 100% then you just keep him on the roster so he can contribute in case of injury. If not than its a tough decision to IR and lose the extra man, or PUP him, and have him not be able to practice.

You can him on the Limited IR that they instituted last year where he can come back midway through the season. I believe you can do the same thing with PUP but that might be after week three I'm not sure
[ Edited by KID9R on Apr 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM ]
Even if Lattimire