There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Whats the verdick with this dude? When he was drafted, I loved the pick but I havnt seen SQUAT from him, Based on ability I know he can PLAY. Use him already.

I think that's a better question for TJ McDonald.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Whats the verdick with this dude? When he was drafted, I loved the pick but I havnt seen SQUAT from him, Based on ability I know he can PLAY. Use him already.

I think that's a better question for TJ McDonald.

Haha, that's great. Vernon and D***

I still don't know why they are not wearing cups --- wtf

That means if he got hit there with a helmet hit or otherwise, it would hurt like no other pain on this earth

What if there is was a wayward foot that hit "that area"

There was a skit Eddie Murphy did about something just "whispering" his balls

Are the Yorks too cheap to buy bottled water, I mean athletic supporters . . . j/k

Or, is that Vernon, who wears a lot of pink shirts, and is an "artist" likes to go commando
[ Edited by wysiwyg on Dec 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM ]
I don't get why we need three TE's every week when all the third TE does is block. We can use an extra lineman for that like Kilgore. I'd activate Patton over Celek any day, yes we never run 4 reciever sets and barely 3, but I think it's time we should, especially against Seattle.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
This, he won't step a foot on the field with crabs, boldin and manningham healthy. We don't even run 4 wrs sets and barely run 3
against the hawks 8-men front and their physical backfield i'd rather activate patton rather than baldwin.
we need some quickness.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
This, he won't step a foot on the field with crabs, boldin and manningham healthy. We don't even run 4 wrs sets and barely run 3
against the hawks 8-men front and their physical backfield i'd rather activate patton rather than baldwin.
we need some quickness.

You can't fight physicality with speed and finesse if physicality is beating the s**t out of you before you can take off
we need some quickness.
You know, I would love it if just this week they added a wrinkle and went 4 wide...Just the fact the eveyone says we never do it, is a great reason to do it.

Bolden, Rio, Patton, Crabs....Make the come out of their triangle zone or cover a wide out man to man with a safety. Not saying you run it ten times....but show that look a handful of times to put them on their heels. You could also empty they backfield and get a similar effect....flex Vernon out and put a kid like LMJ in the slot using motion.
Well with Seattle's #2 and #3 CB out, going 3 or 4 wide on most plays accomplishes a few things.

1. Our #2 and #3 WRs should be able to make some plays.
2. It removes the ability for Seattle to put 8 in the box and stop our run game (which is 100% key to us winning any game really).
3. Makes their Defense overall smaller, so picking up that extra yard or 2 on most plays (including screens) should work.

Of course the big negative is we have 2 O-lineman out, so going 3 or 4 wide, means less protection for Kaep. But to counter that, use quick throws, WR and RB screens, and lots of run plays out of this formation. And of course Kaep can run to get some yards too.
we need some quickness.

you can if you align that quickness in the slot and put it in motion before the snap. Teams have been gaining free releases vs press man for years this way. If the DB does get his hands on the receiver, there is an increased risk of a defensive holding penalty; since momentum has already been established, any tugging or restraining is much more evident.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
we need some quickness.

you can if you align that quickness in the slot and put it in motion before the snap. Teams have been gaining free releases vs press man for years this way. If the DB does get his hands on the receiver, there is an increased risk of a defensive holding penalty; since momentum has already been established, any tugging or restraining is much more evident.

Exactly

I wanna see Harbaugh draw up some stuff in the slot for James too , we have the players who can create in space and do some damage
Originally posted by Ether:
You can't fight physicality with speed and finesse if physicality is beating the s**t out of you before you can take off

Tell that to the Colts and TY Hilton. Speed and quickness are the only things that secondary seems to struggle with. When you have a 6'4", 200+ pound cornerback, you're generally not going to outmuscle them.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Tell that to the Colts and TY Hilton. Speed and quickness are the only things that secondary seems to struggle with. When you have a 6'4", 200+ pound cornerback, you're generally not going to outmuscle them.

Agree totally! When the D goes big, the O has to go speed, and vice-versa. The trick is to get the speed and quickness into routes early, which requires craft and stealth in play calling and design. It also requires trust and WRs who are respected by the officials enough to get a call once in a while. If CK tries to hit Crabtree over the middle and the DB bumps MC off his route before the ball gets there it has to be called...and Seattle has mastered physicality within the rules...with the officials help.

The league is going toward this type of D...bump rather than blast, man handle rather than head first. That gives Seattle an advantage with their big DBs. The 9er DBs are almost munchkins by comparison...which also puts them at a disadvantage.

Sadly, the niner receivers are not speedy receivers. Boldin can create and catch over anyone, and MC is crafty, but Patton may be the only one of the 9er receivers who is really quick...Manningham is smooth but not quick. It will be interesting to see if the play calling can get these guys open.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I don't get why we need three TE's every week when all the third TE does is block. We can use an extra lineman for that like Kilgore. I'd activate Patton over Celek any day, yes we never run 4 reciever sets and barely 3, but I think it's time we should, especially against Seattle.

That 3rd TE is a core ST'er and can also catch passes when needed (see the game in Seattle last December when VD went down at the end of the 1st Q). If a TE goes down and we only have 2 active, then Kilgore or Dobbs could step in yes, but DK would mean an altering the game plan on the fly given he won't really be used as a pass catcher. With Dobbs, you are taking away from the DL if your forced to plug him in at TE.

And if your deactivating Celek for Patton, then who is replacing Celek on ST's ?? It's not so cut and dry for us, given that we use a lot of 2 TE sets.
Remember the game in Seattle? What did Boldin do with his physical skills?

We need some shifty guys for screens and slants, I am not talking about go-routes...Furthermore, how can a DB or a LB beat one with his physicality if he can't catch the receiver?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we need some quickness.

mario is not healthy,, not playing or practicing much with the knee thing,., maybe this is the kids opportunity
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home