LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I don't know if I completely buy into this philosophy. Patriots come to mind, so do the Steelers. Anytime those players go somewhere else, they're not as "good" as they were previously. I would say rather that you need a good game planner - a WR coach who understand routes and can co-design the passing game with the OC - someone who knows the strengths of his players and can help design gameplans to accentuate their strengths. My problem is that regardless of who I see out there - they all run basically the same boring predictable routes with little variation in the passing game plan. I honestly feel separation is achieved both through talent but more consistently through SCHEME and that's where we're lacking. I agree wholeheartedly as it's been said previously .....

We need a WR coach on the same level that Jim Leavitt is the LB coach - who at one time was considered NFL HC candidate. If the development and play of our LBs were anywhere near what it could be for our WRs, the passing game would be incredible.

THIS ABOVE -
1. Watch our passing scheme closely, all the routes are curved - very few hard breaks, almost ZERO - yes ZERO - double moves. It is confounding that this is a passing attack being played at the NFL level.

2. When your scheme is this basic and predictable it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get separation because the DBs can scheme to anticipate routes - playing man and playing zone the DBs are in position. There are only two hopes for separation A.) speed - a la VD, of B.) Defensive mistake. This is why VD is the only real threat and when he get's the ball he is often wide open - either there was a Def mistake and he get's free or he is running away from a guy.

3. This basic scheme makes it nearly impossible also for the QB to throw the ball early to "a spot" - the DBs can anticipate the route and spot - a la CK's early interceptions - DBs were camping on routes.

This is why the 9ers pass offense looks so horrid - it is amateur. Last week, PManning stepped back to throw a bubble screen to the receiver on the outside; but instead of the receivers in front of the screen blocking, one of them ran right by the CB and caught a long pass. The bubble screen was a complete fake out of the defense - it was genius. Have you EVER seen such cleverness by the 9ers passing game??

The 9ers offense is 3 notches above Singletary's smash mouth football - it's smash mouth with a highly developed running scheme. But the pass offense is just plain poor. West Coast offense my b***.

Agree! Painful to watch passing schemes are painful to watch! Not sure Williams or Moore would excel on another team...but I would bet they would on the NEPatriots or in Denver. More because of the systems than just a better QB...or both.

A couple of years ago I complained that Crabtree seemed to always run behind the defenders instead of cutting in front of them. Then when Harbaugh took over he seemed to change and the routes over the middle began to open for him as they had in college. I see this as an example of coaching...can't believe MC would just forget this for two years.

So it would seem to be likely the route problems are system or coaching based. Without being on the field during practice we can't know for sure but it sure seems like a persistent problem.
Passing attack will remaineffective and safe with less turnovers. Jim is of the Schembechler offense and the Giants and the Bears of the 80's. Lindy Infante had some teaching for Jim, but I wish there was more that Jim had taken from Infante in the passing game.
There has been literally zero recent news about Patton. Based on the type of injury, he could be back a few weeks after the Panthers game but nothing has been said yet, anywhere.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Passing attack will remain effective and safe with less turnovers. Jim is of the Schembechler offense and the Giants and the Bears of the 80's. Lindy Infante had some teaching for Jim, but I wish there was more that Jim had taken from Infante in the passing game.

The passing game is far from effective. Our passing plays are so simple a high school team could run them, there's zero creativity. I don't care who Harbaugh learned from, times have changed and we need a better aerial attack. We can't pass the ball against any defense that is above average and that needs to be addressed. It seems that they just don't want to make it any better. Odds are instead of drafting receivers next year, they will draft more running backs.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Passing attack will remain effective and safe with less turnovers. Jim is of the Schembechler offense and the Giants and the Bears of the 80's. Lindy Infante had some teaching for Jim, but I wish there was more that Jim had taken from Infante in the passing game.

The passing game is far from effective. Our passing plays are so simple a high school team could run them, there's zero creativity. I don't care who Harbaugh learned from, times have changed and we need a better aerial attack. We can't pass the ball against any defense that is above average and that needs to be addressed. It seems that they just don't want to make it any better. Odds are instead of drafting receivers next year, they will draft more running backs.

Not much creativity, I agree. Their hands are tide a bit right now with all the injuries to the receivers. Have to account for young Kaep. I don't think he has the experience in the passing to implement an extensive passing game, even though he may be a quick learner, there are also some new guys at receiver to bring along also.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There has been literally zero recent news about Patton. Based on the type of injury, he could be back a few weeks after the Panthers game but nothing has been said yet, anywhere.

What news are you looking for? Dude's foot is still broke and he's not practicing. Not much to really expand upon.
Jason hill 2.0
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Jason hill 2.0

whens this overrated motherf**ker comin back?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Jason hill 2.0

Lol just messing around. Hope the best for the dude

Jason hill 2.0

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Jason hill 2.0

he's healing/learning and he'll be fine... can't wait for him to break one for a TD.
Share 49ersWebzone