There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Originally posted by YungAce:
Why did he fall?

I think being from Louisiana Tech had something to do with it. Not exactly SEC or Pac 12 level competition. But there was this receiver out of Mississippi Valley State that did alright ...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Why did he fall?

Not a clue. Its incredibly mystifying, there weren't any character related issues, he might have had some medical red flags but he hasn't had any real severe injuries. I think a lot of it had to do with him being rather ordinary in terms of athleticism and not super tall as well as the level of competition he played against, he just drifted down the board but he's going to be outplaying quite a few of the receivers picked in front of him.

He's not a Combine superstar but he's a very talented and polished receiver with great hands and route running, I'm excited to see him as a 49er.

Yea . . . well the draft is not as scientific and airtight a process as made out to be. It's imprecise and the volume of coverage necessary to get an accurate read on every player pretty much falls short.

That said . . . given the amount of press and promotion you've devoted to this guy, if he does not blow it up THIS YEAR, your credibility is going to take a severe hit. You might even have to change your user name.
QP should be Kaep's go-to receiver for corner fades in the end zone.......sorry Crabs
I say he's the number 3 in 2013. If he isn't, it's because AJ Jenkins has improved by leaps and bounds, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting in 2014 or 2015 as the result of the departure(s) of Anquan Boldin and possibly Michael Crabtree. I think Patton fell because he's not incredibly big or fast or put up record setting numbers. He just does a lot of things really, really well and has a game that translates very well to the pro level.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Why did he fall?

I think being from Louisiana Tech had something to do with it. Not exactly SEC or Pac 12 level competition. But there was this receiver out of Mississippi Valley State that did alright ...

He's underwhelming in his underwear, but I'm pretty sure he'll be wearing football pads on Sundays.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I say he's the number 3 in 2013. If he isn't, it's because AJ Jenkins has improved by leaps and bounds, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting in 2014 or 2015 as the result of the departure(s) of Anquan Boldin and possibly Michael Crabtree. I think Patton fell because he's not incredibly big or fast or put up record setting numbers. He just does a lot of things really, really well and has a game that translates very well to the pro level.

I think this is the key point. Really Crabs has emerged. Boldin is a household name with hopefully another year in the tank. Williams has been reliable and a great tool but not a huge threat. We need a guy to be that true #2. I was hoping that would be Manningham and maybe it will be. All this kid needs to do is clearly beat out Jenkins, Williams, and the other #4 dudes etc to start the season at #3 and this pick is huge.
AJ Jenkins better step up his game ASAP
Whenever I see or hear the name Quinton Paton I'll think of this song...

So Ive been perusing youtube and watching tape/highlights on Patton. 1 play in particular stood out to me and it wasn't even him catching a pass.

I didn't get to see the whole play but it appeared there was a turnover (fumble/Int) and the opposing defender had a clear path to the end zone with no LA tech players around to stop him. Then out of nowhere Patton comes flying in from off the screen runs the dude down and strips the ball before he reaches the end zone. That's just a flat out impressive football play and that's the type of player you love to have on your team.

Oh yeah... he looked good catching the ball too
Originally posted by KegBert:
So Ive been perusing youtube and watching tape/highlights on Patton. 1 play in particular stood out to me and it wasn't even him catching a pass.

I didn't get to see the whole play but it appeared there was a turnover (fumble/Int) and the opposing defender had a clear path to the end zone with no LA tech players around to stop him. Then out of nowhere Patton comes flying in from off the screen runs the dude down and strips the ball before he reaches the end zone. That's just a flat out impressive football play and that's the type of player you love to have on your team.

Oh yeah... he looked good catching the ball too

Yeah I saw that too, impressive. I am so glad he is a Niner. He is the most polished receiver in the draft.
Great pick for CK7 ran WRs screens in college and has great hands a natural
I think he'll be a very solid, reliable pro. I don't see him as a guy with star talent, but someone who knows how to get the job done every week. Best case, I think he turns into a Hines Ward type of player.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
AJ Jenkins better step up his game ASAP

The funny thing is, if he beats out AJ, I don't think it's an indictment of him. Patton is really that good.
I love how he seems to track the ball no matter how awkwardly it comes in. This will help him in the that classic back shoulder throw, he will adjust to almost any angle. I can't wait to see this guy on the field and AJ "bust" Jenkins on the street.
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
I love how he seems to track the ball no matter how awkwardly it comes in. This will help him in the that classic back shoulder throw, he will adjust to almost any angle. I can't wait to see this guy on the field and AJ "bust" Jenkins on the street.

Wouldn't it be ideal if they both did great on the field? Jenkins will be one of the most interesting stories in camp this year. I honestly don't get the hate. I remember reading the same 'bust' talk about Crabtree too.