LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 338 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by thl408:
Why did Patton last till the 4th round? Honest question. What was the knock on him?

Probably jack of all trades, specialty of none.

He probably doesn't have the elite speed, size, or hands that scouts look for. He's a predictable 3rd or 4th receiver on a team. No upside to him.

I don't know if scouts saw it that way, but if they did, i do not agree with them. Scouts over think things on draft day sometimes. Sometimes, they don't know what is obvious even if it bit them on the ass.

The WR's ahead of him were considered more attractive because they were either extremely fast, athletic, big, or a combination of those traits. The thing that Patton had on them was pure production in college. He can play some football, period.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Garcia:
Small school. Not really that fast, not really that big

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not fast enough, not big enough, came from a small school....etc.

Thanks. Hmm not fast enough? Looks like he is a pure slot guy? Quickness, smarts, and hands then. He will prove useful.
Originally posted by Janitor:

Considered a steal, viewed as a 2nd round talent

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/04/27/catch-this-49ers-select-wr-patton-in-fourth-round/

Doesn't look like he's strong either based on the benchpress reps. Keep him away from the more physical outside corners and have him work on the nickel DBs. He should be the reason Manningham will not be re-sgined.
"Measurables" are not as important as production! This guy seems to be able to play, no matter his straight line speed, bench press, or height. Some guys just have a knack...he does I believe.
4 catches and hes a cocky dancin fool lol. i like this kid even more. guys gonna be a beast
  • hps49
  • Veteran
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hps49:

He probably doesn't have the elite speed, size, or hands that scouts look for. He's a predictable 3rd or 4th receiver on a team. No upside to him.

I don't know if scouts saw it that way, but if they did, i do not agree with them. Scouts over think things on draft day sometimes. Sometimes, they don't know what is obvious even if it bit them on the ass.

No, that's one think he has in spades, in the draft, he had the lowest drop percentage of any WR. He was looked at as too small, not fast enough, would struggle to get off the line of scrimmage against press coverage.

Hey Phoenix, your boy QP tore it up like you said he would. I concede defeat to thee, and I think we really got a steal after all
Patton is an energetic guy, and seems to get open. It's just one preseason game, but this guy has the right attitude and skillset. Hoping for really good things from him as the season progresses.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

No, that's one think he has in spades, in the draft, he had the lowest drop percentage of any WR. He was looked at as too small, not fast enough, would struggle to get off the line of scrimmage against press coverage.

Yes, his hands are terrific. And while he doesn't clock elite, he has really great quickness. Just looking at his tape in the draft threads, he's very quick and tenacious going for the ball. I completely disagree that there's no upside. Jerry Rice did not have elite speed or size and he did just fine. Everyone wants a Megatron or Desean Jackson but sometimes it's guys who are not elite in the measurables that turn out best.

this guys love for the game is more important than any measurable. from still practicing as a receiver with a f**ked up hand to buying his own damn plane ticket and transportation to the facility to get to santa clara as soon as possible. if he wants it that bad he will succeed. hes the anti AJ Jenkins. this kid will be a 10 year niner if he keeps his head on right and continues to attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind

I'm liking Patton a lot, but that grill scares me. I am seeing a young Ochocinco. I know its a stretch, but I hope he stays humble and hungry.
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
I'm liking Patton a lot, but that grill scares me. I am seeing a young Ochocinco. I know its a stretch, but I hope he stays humble and hungry.

We can only hope!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
  • buck
  • Veteran
Earlier I posted two production metrics that indicated that Patton would be a good receiver.

He also did well in metrics that measured agility or short area quickness.

One of the tools subtracts the short shuttle time from the 40 yard dash time.

A difference of 0.50 or higher is considered good. Patton ran the 40 in 4.53 seconds. He ran the short shuttle in 4.01—a difference of 0.52.

Another measure of agility is made by adding the short shuttle and 3-cone times. Any combined score under 11.1 seconds is very strong.

Patton had a 10.92.(4.01 in the short shuttle and 6.91 in the 3-cone.)

Tonight's game is only one preseason game, but the kid looks good.
[ Edited by buck on Aug 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone