LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 349 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by okdkid:
This guy is going to be a fumbling nightmare. He has to be more mindful.

Not sure what happened on the first one, have to take a closer look at it, but the second one was just punched out from behind by the defender who got a nice shot on the football. Not sure what he could have done to prevent that as he had the ball tucked pretty close.

I'm guessing its something that the coaching staff will address with him though, but otherwise he had a very good game. Had some outstanding blocks in the run game, including one on Draughn's touchdown and he made a few nice catches, especially that 35 yarder in the 4th quarter.

I'm not calling into question his receiving/blocking skills. I think he actually did better blocking than receiving last night -- which, in this offense, is critical.

But Patton is in his own world sometimes. I was happy to see him not take the bait with that fight with Donald. I think he just needs some more awareness while running after the catch. He can be very loose with the ball.
Originally posted by thl408:
The fumbles are concerning, especially the one that nearly went out the back of the endzone. Overall I liked what I saw from Patton and if Torrey isn't going to be a factor, then the combination of Patton, Kerley, Vance needs to get it done. Patton showed that when he gets a free release at the LoS, he can get open. And as always, he is very good with RAC and a willing blocker. There was one slant he caught with a defender draped all over him in the 1st quarter.

Not that worried about the second one, the defender made a nice play to knock the ball out. He just has to have better awareness overall.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/quinton-patton-gains-35-yards-044800323.html
Originally posted by okdkid:
I'm not calling into question his receiving/blocking skills. I think he actually did better blocking than receiving last night -- which, in this offense, is critical.

But Patton is in his own world sometimes. I was happy to see him not take the bait with that fight with Donald. I think he just needs some more awareness while running after the catch. He can be very loose with the ball.

I think it will work itself out as he gets more targets and receptions. He's still in that frame of mind where he isn't used to getting the football and he tries to do too much as a result. He didn't have any issues with fumbling the football at Louisiana Tech despite being a high volume receiver and having played some pretty good defenses, don't expect it to become an issue now. Like Gabbert, he just needs to calm down a bit and understand that he will have plenty of targets going forward.
I thought it was his best game as a Niner!
Happy to see Q step up.. It's okay NC, smile baby
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I thought so too. Excited for this kid to get some more opportunities. He was a beast in college.
[ Edited by PowderdToastMn on Sep 13, 2016 at 6:50 PM ]
He is by far our most talented WR. Need to find a way to get it to him.
Streater will be starting by Week 8.

Smith - Kerley - Smith

Book it.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Smith - Kerley - Smith

Book it.

Youve been completely wrong this far, might as well double down I guess.
Patton showed some wiggles. Didn't like how he was loose with the ball though.

Agree with NC though Smith and Kerley will be taking over.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

So Kerley at 5'9" will be moving from the slot where he has been used almost his entire career to play on the outside?

More realistically, Patton and Smith will continue to play on the outside, Kerley in the slot with Streater and Burbridge coming in on 4 WR sets.

WR snap count from yesterday

Torrry-78 snaps

Patton-71 snaps

Kerley-54 snaps

Streater-10 snaps

Burbridge-3 snaps

Harper-2 snaps
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 13, 2016 at 7:27 PM ]
Hope Chip saved some plays for this week.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Smith - Kerley - Smith

Book it.

Patton is our most talented WR and we finally have a coach who will play him. He's not leaving the starting spot minus an injury
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

So Kerley at 5'9" will be moving from the slot where he has been used almost his entire career to play on the outside?

More realistically, Patton and Smith will continue to play on the outside, Kerley in the slot with Streater and Burbridge coming in on 4 WR sets.

WR snap count from yesterday

Torrry-78 snaps

Patton-71 snaps

Kerley-54 snaps

Streater-10 snaps

Burbridge-3 snaps

Harper-2 snaps

Patton is 6ft, not exactly a big strong dude WR himself. I think it can work.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I thought so too. Excited for this kid to get some more opportunities. He was a beast in college.

I truly think it was his most complete game as a Niner thus far. He needs to secure that ball to be sure, but he was playing on a level I've not seen him play. To be fair, Patton was not lights out all game, but there were definitely some glimpses of a good player who can be a solid contributor. I really liked what I saw out of him last night.
Share 49ersWebzone