There are 147 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
I just don't know what to think of Patton at this point

I think he's just meh
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
I just don't know what to think of Patton at this point

You can say the same about any WR not named Boldin or Smith right now. With as anemic as the passing offense has been, with Thompson playing the majority of the QB snaps so farr, they may as well be running the wishbone out there.
Simpson being out the first 6 weeks could save Patton and/or White's jobs. Really no wr has earned his spot on the roster this preseason if you went by performances. We haven't really passed the ball that much either. Elllington's been hurt so not like he has earned his spot either. So I figure Simpson goes to the suspended list freeing up a spot on the roster and we will keep Smith, Boldin, Ellington, Patton, White. Expect us to use a lot of te's in the passing game at least until we get Simpson back. That's not the best core on the back end but Smith and Boldin with our te's make up for it. Once simpson gets back he will be the #3 and White (or even Patton) are probably gone. I'm a patton fan, he was one of my favorite players in the draft a few years back but I think his injury his rookie year really hurt his career. He never really got back on track and didn't get the reps like he was getting early on. I also think we don't do any favors to guys like McDonald, AJ Jenkins, Patton, etc in getting them short easy catches and getting their confidence up. Seems like we would rather ignore them or just go for deep shots. Get these guys nice easy catches and a short td or 2 and get their confidence up. Hopefully that punt block td did that instead of some catches. Hopefully he can turn it around.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Simpson being out the first 6 weeks could save Patton and/or White's jobs. Really no wr has earned his spot on the roster this preseason if you went by performances. We haven't really passed the ball that much either. Elllington's been hurt so not like he has earned his spot either. So I figure Simpson goes to the suspended list freeing up a spot on the roster and we will keep Smith, Boldin, Ellington, Patton, White. Expect us to use a lot of te's in the passing game at least until we get Simpson back. That's not the best core on the back end but Smith and Boldin with our te's make up for it. Once simpson gets back he will be the #3 and White (or even Patton) are probably gone. I'm a patton fan, he was one of my favorite players in the draft a few years back but I think his injury his rookie year really hurt his career. He never really got back on track and didn't get the reps like he was getting early on. I also think we don't do any favors to guys like McDonald, AJ Jenkins, Patton, etc in getting them short easy catches and getting their confidence up. Seems like we would rather ignore them or just go for deep shots. Get these guys nice easy catches and a short td or 2 and get their confidence up. Hopefully that punt block td did that instead of some catches. Hopefully he can turn it around.

guy was traded a while back and he actualy plays for the cowboys........
Simpson being out the first 6 weeks could save Patton and/or White's jobs. Really no wr has earned his spot on the roster this preseason if you went by performances.

I'm still confused on how any WR is supposed to earn anything if this team's passing offense looks like its out of the 1950's. I get that they are trying to establish the run and do some new stuff but its like they've been waving the white flag when it comes to passing the ball thus far. I hope they go with a more pass heavy plan next week to get receivers and TE's alike more involved.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Simpson being out the first 6 weeks could save Patton and/or White's jobs. Really no wr has earned his spot on the roster this preseason if you went by performances.

I'm still confused on how any WR is supposed to earn anything if this team's passing offense looks like its out of the 1950's. I get that they are trying to establish the run and do some new stuff but its like they've been waving the white flag when it comes to passing the ball thus far. I hope they go with a more pass heavy plan next week to get receivers and TE's alike more involved.

SO THIS.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
guy was traded a while back and he actualy plays for the cowboys........

I know, he played for the chiefs before that. I was saying when he was a rookie here in preseason we never went out of our way to get him short easy passes to get his confidence up. then regular season started the same thing happened until all confidence was lost and we buried him on the depth charts

You want to know why? It's the QB play none of the backups are doing their part trying to find any WR's they all target the easy throws, mostly to their Tight End's or screen passes to their backs. its not really fair to try to analyze the WR play its really not their fault. Our leading receiver today was Busta Anderson with a whoping 2 Rec for 32 yds. Both games combined Jerome Simpson leads all WR's with 3 freaking catches for 40 yds & the guy behind him yeah u guessed it Busta Anderson. How can we really judge our WR play if they are not getting the opportunity to be showcased.
with simpson out 6 weeks patton has a reasonable chance to make the roster. he's a good player, not sure why he's been invisible so far.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
with simpson out 6 weeks patton has a reasonable chance to make the roster. he's a good player, not sure why he's been invisible so far.

I love the kid's passion and he works hard....sometimes he works too hard though. Like the -12 yard loss lol.

He want's to make his mark, but sometimes you got to take that 2-3 yard catch and save it for the next play. Once he get's more playing time he will get it. I hope.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I love the kid's passion and he works hard....sometimes he works too hard though. Like the -12 yard loss lol.

He want's to make his mark, but sometimes you got to take that 2-3 yard catch and save it for the next play. Once he get's more playing time he will get it. I hope.

Also really like him.

Sometimes people can try too hard and end up in deep poop.

Still, he hasn't YET distinguished himself and IMO is on the bubble.
Kid has heart, but nothing "special" or elite to make him a solid 3rd WR. He doesnt have above average size or speed. I don't think his hands are above average and I've heard he is not that good of a route runner. I like the kid, but I don't see him having a future with us past this year if he even makes the roster... I think he will because of Simpson's suspension.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Also really like him.

Sometimes people can try too hard and end up in deep poop.

Still, he hasn't YET distinguished himself and IMO is on the bubble.

I think with the suspension of Simpson his spot is save for now...doesn't mean after the 1st six games if he hasn't done jack squat he will still be on the team.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:44 AM ]
Originally posted by sacniner:
Kid has heart, but nothing "special" or elite to make him a solid 3rd WR. He doesnt have above average size or speed. I don't think his hands are above average and I've heard he is not that good of a route runner. I like the kid, but I don't see him having a future with us past this year if he even makes the roster... I think he will because of Simpson's suspension.

His hands are fantastic, the lowest drop rate of any WR when he was entering the draft, you dont suddenly forget how to catch the ball.

I think his issues are much the same as the other younger WR's, complete lack of opportunity. It was midway through the 3rd quarter before this team even had their 10th passing target. None of the receivers are getting any real chances right now, difficult to see what you have without actually giving guys enough targets. When guys don't get targets, they start trying to force stuff and create plays when there is nothing there.

Maybe the coaching staff is sold on which WR's will go where but its still nice to build some consistency in the passing game before the regular season, its clear that this team will be able to run the ball, not so clear that they'll be able to pass block or pass the ball, yet again.

Call me crazy but maybe there should be more of an emphasis on that in these coming games. To their credit, the Cards have done a fantastic job of having balance on offense in the preseason, getting their young RB's as well as young receivers like JJ Nelson imvolved.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM ]
Yeah it's been impossible to evaluate these receivers...they barely play a handful of snaps and see maybe 1 or 2 targets...if they do t catch a 59 yard bomb they won't impress anyone
Share 49ersWebzone