LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 365 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Patton will be very good this year if he gets on the field. He's shown a knack for getting open and also having an extra gear that Boldin and Crabtree don't have. Looking forward to seeing this kid play
  • thl408
I hope Patton earns his playing time next season. What I fear is a case similar to LMJ where many of us were upset that LMJ wasn't getting enough snaps, thinking it was the coaching staff that failed, but in actuality it was LMJ that sucked and flat out wasn't earning it. I like when Patton has the ball in his hands and remember him running a couple end arounds with success in 2013, similar to the SD end around, minus the fumble. With Lloyd and Crabs most likely off the team, there are snaps to be had for QP and I hope he takes them instead of getting them by default.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
make or break year for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut before training camp.

I would. He works hard and trains with Kap. He just has to see the field and take snaps that Crabtree and Brandon Lloyd were getting last year. We are losing at least 2 of our WRs from last season and who knows what we do with Stevie Johnson who also may have been underutilized last season. QP is good young cheap talent that we haven't allowed to see the field yet. Our new WR coach gives me hope that he will soon along with Bruce

Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Patton will be very good this year if he gets on the field. He's shown a knack for getting open and also having an extra gear that Boldin and Crabtree don't have. Looking forward to seeing this kid play

Originally posted by thl408:
I hope Patton earns his playing time next season. What I fear is a case similar to LMJ where many of us were upset that LMJ wasn't getting enough snaps, thinking it was the coaching staff that failed, but in actuality it was LMJ that sucked and flat out wasn't earning it. I like when Patton has the ball in his hands and remember him running a couple end arounds with success in 2013, similar to the SD end around, minus the fumble. With Lloyd and Crabs most likely off the team, there are snaps to be had for QP and I hope he takes them instead of getting them by default.

I hope that Patton plays more snaps and gets more targets than he has up to this point in his career.

unlike lmj patton never got any opportunities to show flashes. when he did have the ball in his hands he was dynamite. when they finally worked him in his rookie year in the last game of the season he came up big and showed explosiveness and a willing to block (sprung boldin for a big run by coming across the field and blocking for him) he even made a clutch catch on the sideline with the game on the line.

this year he wasn't used at all. i don't hold the fumble against him, you don't get used for the whole season essentially and then they say come in and here is 2 plays let's see you make a miracle happen.

for lmj he had plenty of opportunities in special teams he handled kick and punt returns and after the first few games he went back to really average
make or break year for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he got cut before training camp.

I would. He's made plays whenever he's gotten a chance to perform. He's had some unfortunate circumstances such as his injury in his rookie season after being moved up the depth chart. This past season he was basically shutdown in favor of Lloyd which to me was just short-sighted thinking. Hopefully he gets more opportunities to contribute and show that he can get it done next season. He's certainly been putting the work in.
Patton and Carrier are my two players to really shine in 2015!!! Looking forward to these two!

He has to get cut. He was a WR drafted by Baalke.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I'm sure he'll see more snaps this coming season. Problem for him is I think he'll be the #4 receiver and Ellington will take the #3. This may be Boldin's last season though, so I'd expect his role to expand in 2016.
Originally posted by Disp:
I'm sure he'll see more snaps this coming season. Problem for him is I think he'll be the #4 receiver and Ellington will take the #3. This may be Boldin's last season though, so I'd expect his role to expand in 2016.

I don't think it's a guarantee Ellington is number 3. Regardless of what happens, number 4 will be an upgrade anyway. At least he'll be active every week. My excitement about our young receivers is partially why I favor drafting a D-lineman in the first round this year now.

Wow, rough. Surely you think he should be given a chance to earn a spot this offseason? He's still on his rookie contact and has loads of potential.

Originally posted by slowriot:

Wow, rough. Surely you think he should be given a chance to earn a spot this offseason? He's still on his rookie contact and has loads of potential.

He's got to stay healthy as well...that's his biggest problem.

Before training camp? Before? No, unless he is injured this simply won't happen. What would be the point, before training camp?

Also, his work ethic and passion has never been questioned. I think he will be a lot better this year if he can stay healthy.
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:

Also, his work ethic and passion has never been questioned. I think he will be a lot better this year if he can stay healthy.

I think he'll be a lot better this year if they actually use him. I'm a little concerned about Kaps tunnel vision.
I hope Patton can be this years version of Ian Williams/Daniel Kilgore as the next guy to quietly earn his way to an extension. Every time he's on the field, you see him running and hustling like crazy on plays to get upfield and throw a block if he doesn't have the ball. I love the kid's passion and I think working with Adam Henry this season, he could contribute.

Stevie Johnson is the big X-factor in all of this. Does he restructure? Is he cut? Traded again? If we draft a receiver high, he's going to have to earn his way onto the field. Patton and Ellington should have the advantage, but I admit I will be disappointed if Patton can't at least get himself activated for every game day.
Share 49ersWebzone