There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't think they have the ability to do it. I have zero trust in Roman's in-game playcalling, he'll make a few good calls here and there but mostly its erratic, there is no flow like what you see with other offenses. I'm sure they do a great job gameplanning but if their gameplan doesn't work, everything goes up in flames.

The short passing game is not Kaepernick's friend right now so Gore is left out of the mix. I haven't re-watched the game, but there must have been at least five wide open opportunities on the short left side that looked like throw aways due to inaccuracy. Whether that's a timing issue between CK and the receivers or just lack of touch I have no idea. But it's damn frustrating to see the lost opportunities.

In the past, Gore was very effective as an outlet over the middle as well. That pass seems to be taken out of the playbook. He would run left and cut back right so he'd be about three to ten yards directly over the left tackle. Miss that play and Kaepernick can hit that anytime...so that's on Roman.

As others have mentioned (perhaps you?) it would be nice to see some no huddle once in a while to see if that would help with the flow. It would also put the D on it's collective heels.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The short passing game is not Kaepernick's friend right now so Gore is left out of the mix. I haven't re-watched the game, but there must have been at least five wide open opportunities on the short left side that looked like throw aways due to inaccuracy. Whether that's a timing issue between CK and the receivers or just lack of touch I have no idea. But it's damn frustrating to see the lost opportunities.

In the past, Gore was very effective as an outlet over the middle as well. That pass seems to be taken out of the playbook. He would run left and cut back right so he'd be about three to ten yards directly over the left tackle. Miss that play and Kaepernick can hit that anytime...so that's on Roman.

As others have mentioned (perhaps you?) it would be nice to see some no huddle once in a while to see if that would help with the flow. It would also put the D on it's collective heels.

There's rhythm on drives maybe twice a game on average.

last game we had more rhythm and as a result we moved it up and down the field.

roman needs to work on that. stop switching personnel so much. stop getting cute. go out there with a purpose on a drive and stick to that purpose drive to drive. its almost like they're going from the a section to the q section then the t section then the b section in the playbook from play to play.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
hunter and james woulda been covered lol. thats the point. people sleep on miller because hes just a fullback so they think its just a trick but the guy can catch and hes tough as nails.

possibly
macdonald could have done that as well

but then again they wouldn't have been covered because they know we don't throw the ball to rb's

I do believe that Kaepernick is a limiting factor as well. Lack of imagination or cohesivenness in the playcalling, and QB's ability to execute are the limting factors IMO. I cannot say how much the former is the result of the team's concern about the latter.

Niners are squandering an opportunity with the way the defense is playing. But then, its already been said repeatedly. I agree.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I do believe that Kaepernick is a limiting factor as well. Lack of imagination or cohesivenness in the playcalling, and QB's ability to execute are the limting factors IMO. I cannot say how much the former is the result of the team's concern about the latter.

Niners are squandering an opportunity with the way the defense is playing. But then, its already been said repeatedly. I agree.

I disagree.

We have players that do whatever is asked.
Whenever they expand the offense the production increases
The problems we're having are consistent with the regime and not the player.
Roman has shown an inability to do more than 1 thing at a time. So it looks like Kap can't either when really he is doing what they tell him to do to the exact detail. I truly believe that.

He's run about 4 different offenses this year from game to game alone.. just put them altogether and light everyone up

like we say he can't throw touch passes then he does. or say he can't check down and then he improves at it

we have to KEEP doing these things.

we should run 3 screens a game just to get a feel for it.. but we don't and then the next time we run one and it doesn't work people will wonder why.. its because we don't do it
^^^^^they do practice during the week
Originally posted by jreff22:
^^^^^they do practice during the week

Doesn't look like they practice running screens does it?
Roman is definitely the number one scapegoat this year. If you're going to pin all offensive struggles on him, pass some blame to Harbs. He has a lot of input. He isn't the type of guy that will hand everything to one guy on offense. Harbs is a power run relatively conservative type guy. Hard nosed, good defense, less risks, etc. That shows with Roman. Harbs has alwasy been like that.

Besides the ultra conservatism at times, I think Roman is not the issue. He is fine. We just need to execute, especially when we get near the redzone.
Dang, I could have sworn I clicked on the Quinton Patton thread...
[ Edited by Daddyt4949 on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Daddyt4949:
Dang, I could have sworn I clicked on the Quinton Patton thread...

My thoughts exactly.
it's all connected if we're going to talk about his role in the offense and potential we have to talk about it all unless we're just going to say random things like "he practiced today"

and

"woo hoo"
His name hasn't even come up in the past 2 1/2 pages. It's been the same "Roman play-calling vs. Kap's ability to execute said plays". I just hate it when every thread turns into the same argument. It's like the old days of "Alexcuses" all over again lol.
His name hasn't even come up in the past 2 1/2 pages. It's been the same "Roman play-calling vs. Kap's ability to execute said plays". I just hate it when every thread turns into the same argument. It's like the old days of "Alexcuses" all over again lol.

u r right.

Sit Manningham . . . play Patton.

Carry on.

Wouldn't those 2 be the most responsible in him getting on the field and then eventually the ball to do something with?

It went from can he play, to how would he fit, to what type of scheme do we run that could benefit him, to open up the offense and give him the opportunity, to why don't we have the opportunities.. all which directly go with patton and his impact.

unfortunately there is no free for all on going niner thread.

but from now on i'll just comment on randomness in individual threads and keep it specifically about the person in the title.

so

patton practiced today, hope he had a good one guys
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

Wouldn't those 2 be the most responsible in him getting on the field and then eventually the ball to do something with?

It went from can he play, to how would he fit, to what type of scheme do we run that could benefit him, to open up the offense and give him the opportunity, to why don't we have the opportunities.. all which directly go with patton and his impact.

unfortunately there is no free for all on going niner thread.

but from now on i'll just comment on randomness in individual threads and keep it specifically about the person in the title.

so

patton practiced today, hope he had a good one guys

Thank you.
you guys think this dude will get any snaps against tampa? I think the niners shoulda try to use him since revis will be on boldin. crabs, VD and patton should have some room to run around and make plays. manningham still looks like hes hurt, maybe they should give him another week off