LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
boy there is gonna be some competition at wr. williams, manningham,lockette, jenkins and now patton. there is some talent there. may the best men win

Williams is meh. Jenkins has shown absolutely nothing (literally), so unless he makes tremendous strides, he is less than meh. Lockette sounds promising and Patton looks very promising. Who knows how Manningham will be after his injury. After Crabtree and Boldin, we didn't have much to work with until this Patton pick.

Now I think you're going a little over board. Lol.
Originally posted by SaintDawg:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Well, you are a biased guy judging from your handle. I'm willing to bet that this is a La Tech is a somewhat local team for you? I never claimed to be a draft, or college football guru. For the normal NFL fan in California, Patton was an unknown.

P.S. F**k the Aint's

You would be absolutely correct. I was born, raised, and currently live in LA and am an alumni of Louisiana Tech. I do not claim to not have a bias.

You just claimed that you knew nothing about him pre-draft because you didn't watch the games. All I said was that any basic research into NCAA receivers would have told you all you need to know about him. And from a lot of the previous posts, there are a lot of normal NFL fans in California who knew enough about him.

Not here to stir up sh*t with you niner fans, just giving you guys some confidence that the staff in SF made a great pick. You will see.

i had no clue who he was. i dont watch much college ball.
but one thing 49er fans are confident in its the picks this GM makes. He could have picked a guy who never played football he was just the best at tackling cheetahs in Africa, and we would be confident he would turn out.
I admit, I didn't know s**t about this kid pre-draft. Sorry, but I don't get around to watching too many Louisiana Tech games... But, from the highlights (which are supposed to be his best plays) I somewhat agree with JC. Maybe I'm missing something?

He just looks okay. He doesn't seem that fast, explosive, etc. And, relative to NFL standards, his size is average.

I hate when people say s**t like this. If you don't know, then you don't know, so leave it at that.

"I haven't watched this guy at all, but from 30 seconds on Youtube, he doesn't look anything like Jerry Rice."

Well, you are a biased guy judging from your handle. I'm willing to bet that this is a La Tech is a somewhat local team for you? I never claimed to be a draft, or college football guru. For the normal NFL fan in California, Patton was an unknown.

P.S. F**k the Aint's

You would be absolutely correct. I was born, raised, and currently live in LA and am an alumni of Louisiana Tech. I do not claim to not have a bias.

You just claimed that you knew nothing about him pre-draft because you didn't watch the games. All I said was that any basic research into NCAA receivers would have told you all you need to know about him. And from a lot of the previous posts, there are a lot of normal NFL fans in California who knew enough about him.

Not here to stir up sh*t with you niner fans, just giving you guys some confidence that the staff in SF made a great pick. You will see.

FWIW, the Vaccaro was a good pick
This may be a little bias, but he looks like Hakeem Nicks to me .
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he looks like Rice, Wallace, Fitzgerald Julio Jones and AJ Green all rolled into one.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

FWIW, the Vaccaro was a good pick

Maybe. We'll see. I didn't know sh*t about him before the draft. From his highlight film, I was unimpressed...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I hate when people say s**t like this. If you don't know, then you don't know, so leave it at that.

"I haven't watched this guy at all, but from 30 seconds on Youtube, he doesn't look anything like Jerry Rice."

So, you can't say anything about any of the prospects unless you watched them play in several of their games? I'm sorry bro, but that is absolute BS. The reason being, the overwhelming majority of us don't have the time nor resources to watch teams like Rice or La Tech. We all speculate based on what we read from the "experts" and relatively short videos we see on youtube, tv, etc. when dealing with these smaller colleges. Unlike others, I began my statement with a disclaimer (I am not an expert, and this is an internet forum). I didn't know that you would take my Louisiana Tech scouting so seriously
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he looks like Rice, Wallace, Fitzgerald Julio Jones and AJ Green all rolled into one.

That is BS unless you watched him live. Youtube and clips on tv don't count! Leave it be!
I don't see Patton being anything more than a solid #2. Some seem to think that he can possibly be a #1. I don't see that. He doesn't look very explosive to me. Doesn't look all that fast and doesn't look all that quick. Just how I feel right now after watching multiple highlight videos. I'll have to see him against NFL competition.

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I don't see Patton being anything more than a solid #2. Some seem to think that he can possibly be a #1. I don't see that. He doesn't look very explosive to me. Doesn't look all that fast and doesn't look all that quick. Just how I feel right now after watching multiple highlight videos. I'll have to see him against NFL competition.

We have a lot of Patton experts here who saw him play live. Even one unbiased Saints fan who is an alum of La Tech. Yes, totally unbiased. So, they say he is off the hook and they know.
So, you can't say anything about any of the prospects unless you watched them play in several of their games? I'm sorry bro, but that is absolute BS. The reason being, the overwhelming majority of us don't have the time nor resources to watch teams like Rice or La Tech. We all speculate based on what we read from the "experts" and relatively short videos we see on youtube, tv, etc. when dealing with these smaller colleges. Unlike others, I began my statement with a disclaimer (I am not an expert, and this is an internet forum). I didn't know that you would take my Louisiana Tech scouting so seriously

The point is, if you're starting off your comment with "dude, I've like never heard of this guy in my entire life"....its basically a waste to comment on him. Its like all the people who went buckwild in the Aldon Smith thread, freaking out because they hadn't seen him play and because he had his "hands on his hips" far too often. If I'm at a point where I have to resort to Youtube video's to define someone, I'll just say..."well, I guess Baalke knows what he's doing."

As far as Patton goes, this is someone I've watched over the past 2 years, he literally carried the entire offense at Louisiana Tech. He has outstanding quickness and while he doesn't have deep threat speed, he runs his routes so smooth and seamlessly that he simply doesn't slow down when making cuts, he'll be able to utilize his same quickness and superior route running skills to create separation at the next level. He's got hands like glue, had the lowest drop rate of any WR in the entire draft. Just 3 drops in 150+ targets, in addition he was one of the top run-blocking WR's in the draft, highly intelligent and with tremendous character and work ethic.

I don't know if he's going to be a great player or not, I hope he is, and he certainly has the potential to be one, and a true #1 WR at the NFL level, but that's basically up to him. The key about Patton is that he couldn't possibly fit this team's identity and mentality any more perfectly.

What bugs me is the Youtube Rangers who jump on him because he doesn't have 4.3 speed, or because he isn't 6'5"......he's a damn good receiver, with strong fundamentals and will at worst be a solid #2 WR in the NFL IMO.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM ]
We have a lot of Patton experts here who saw him play live. Even one unbiased Saints fan who is an alum of La Tech. Yes, totally unbiased. So, they say he is off the hook and they know.

I told you straight up I was biased. I don't know why you keep making this up.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
I LOVE how he catches with hands and not body Like Crabs. I hope him and Crabs become the one two punch we need.

I told you straight up I was biased. I don't know why you keep making this up.
Don't worry about this dude. Most of us here appreciate your insight. Thanks for stopping by to share your knowledge!
Share 49ersWebzone