There are 235 users in the forums

New 49er Corey Lemonier

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
LAY-MOAN-YAY has been taking most snaps at the SAM (Brooks) spot according to one TC report/podcast/etc. I can't remember which report...sorry. That said, I noticed this late last year as well so to me, he's clearly being groomed to be a SAM which is why he's probably packed on an extra 10 pounds esp. in the upper body. At 253, he's still about 12 pounds lighter than Brooks but he's well on his way. The SAM's responsibilities are much different from the WILL in our defense although both can be interchangeable. I'm sure they started Lemonier out at WILL first so he could just focus on rushing the passer where now, he's learning the SAM to help become a complete OLB in our system. He's going to have to be strong enough to push upfield, control the blocker and TE/RB/FB in space, shed them is a run or scramble comes that way and force everything back inside to the pursuit team. He'll have to learn when to rush up field and let the RB go or when to stay with him while keeping his eye on the QB scramble arond the goalline. He'll also need to learn how to drop back in space/zone and know when to pass that receiver off. Brooks also will fake rushing from an interior DT position (Brees pick-6). His job is NOT always to pin his ears back and rush the passer...that's the WILL's job...from the QB's blindside. His main responsibility will be to read the play en route to pushing up field, sealig the egde and diagnosing what to do next (force a RB/QB inside or pass rush?), It's a tough and underappreciated job (like RayMac's spot as well on that strong side) compared to the glorified WILL spot but Lemonier seeme to have a nice tool set to work with and mold and he's learning from THE best 3-4 SAM in the game. I'd expect him to add another 5-10 pounds of strength over the next year or two and play around 260.

Great insight
LAY-MOAN-YAY has been taking most snaps at the SAM (Brooks) spot according to one TC report/podcast/etc. I can't remember which report...sorry. That said, I noticed this late last year as well so to me, he's clearly being groomed to be a SAM which is why he's probably packed on an extra 10 pounds esp. in the upper body. At 253, he's still about 12 pounds lighter than Brooks but he's well on his way. The SAM's responsibilities are much different from the WILL in our defense although both can be interchangeable. I'm sure they started Lemonier out at WILL first so he could just focus on rushing the passer where now, he's learning the SAM to help become a complete OLB in our system. He's going to have to be strong enough to push upfield, control the blocker and TE/RB/FB in space, shed them is a run or scramble comes that way and force everything back inside to the pursuit team. He'll have to learn when to rush up field and let the RB go or when to stay with him while keeping his eye on the QB scramble arond the goalline. He'll also need to learn how to drop back in space/zone and know when to pass that receiver off. Brooks also will fake rushing from an interior DT position (Brees pick-6). His job is NOT always to pin his ears back and rush the passer...that's the WILL's job...from the QB's blindside. His main responsibility will be to read the play en route to pushing up field, sealig the egde and diagnosing what to do next (force a RB/QB inside or pass rush?), It's a tough and underappreciated job (like RayMac's spot as well on that strong side) compared to the glorified WILL spot but Lemonier seeme to have a nice tool set to work with and mold and he's learning from THE best 3-4 SAM in the game. I'd expect him to add another 5-10 pounds of strength over the next year or two and play around 260.

Actually if you looks at the break down, Lemonman has mostly rushed from the SAM side of the defense in his rookie season, but other than that I pretty much agree.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Actually if you looks at the break down, Lemonman has mostly rushed from the SAM side of the defense in his rookie season, but other than that I pretty much agree.

I'm glad you noted that as well. It seemed like that to me as well. Skuta from the WILL and Lemonier from the SAM esp. as the season wore on. There was some interchange though.
I'm glad you noted that as well. It seemed like that to me as well. Skuta from the WILL and Lemonier from the SAM esp. as the season wore on. There was some interchange though.

This must be why Skuta started over Lemonier. Skuta plays ROLB and Lemonier plays LOLB. Guess they don't want to mess with that structure.

Lemonier
was great against the run & put on some good pass pressure on some plays.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

This must be why Skuta started over Lemonier. Skuta plays ROLB and Lemonier plays LOLB. Guess they don't want to mess with that structure.

Lemonier

He looked pretty good to me. I need to rewatch again but he is one I'll be looking at closely.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Lemonier

He looked pretty good to me. I need to rewatch again but he is one I'll be looking at closely.

I want to rewatch again pls? How can I get rewatch but how?
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:07 AM ]
#CountonLemonier….?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
He was my favorite rookie last year, so c'monnnn babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... create some havoc!!! this is your chance to shineeeee!!!

forget Aldon "the idiot" Smith!!!! letssssss gohhhhhhhhhhhhh Lemonnnnn!!!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
He was my favorite rookie last year, so c'monnnn babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.... create some havoc!!! this is your chance to shineeeee!!!

forget Aldon "the idiot" Smith!!!! letssssss gohhhhhhhhhhhhh Lemonnnnn!!!!!

• 9moon
  • Veteran
The Lemon Law is coming to San Frannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Time to step it up Lemons
  • ace52
  • Veteran
I hope Aldon works with Lemonier and Lynch constantly during his suspension, showing them the moves that made him such a great pass rusher.
My fear is that he will be manny Lawson 2.0. Meaning he will get some pressure but not quite enough for sacks or qb hits. Those two are necessary against pass happy teams, like the ones 9ers will be facing early on.

Something I've noticed during the preseason that he hesitates a little too much on pass rush. Too much shake n not enough bake

Although, he has been good setting the edge on run plays....reason for my Lawson comparison.

Maybe, my eyes are deceiving me*fingers crossed*
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Aug 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
My fear is that he will be manny Lawson 2.0.

I was literally going to post the EXACT same thing.

One of the more obvious flaws I see when he rushes is that he doesn't have strong hands to disengage a tackle from locking him up: he doesn't pack a violent rip or swat to free himself like the good pass rushers.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Aug 29, 2014 at 3:36 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
I was literally going to post the EXACT same thing.

One of the more obvious flaws I see when he rushes is that he doesn't have strong hands to disengage a tackle from locking him up: there's no display of a violent rip or swat to free himself.

I see the same thing. I think he'll be awesome off the blitz as a free LB but he probably can't play on the LOS and find the same kind of success. Lynch on the other hand is impressive coming off blocks as is Tank.
Share 49ersWebzone