There are 173 users in the forums

New 49er Corey Lemonier

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by random49er:
lol @ trading Ahmad Brooks. Pass rushers aren't QBs,....they rotate and keep help to keep your defense fresh. You don't get rid of OLBs every time you think you've drafted a future starter.

You do if that future starter becomes a starter and the former starter makes like 7 million a year.

There's an if there, but I've always liked Lemonier enough to say it's likely to happen. And yeah it's good to have depth at OLB, but the team could re-sign Parys Haralson if they nee to..
  • dj43
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Posted elsewhere, but wanted to add to the CL conversation:

Combine numbers and production comparison between Mingo, Jordan (top-10 picks) and Lemonier:

Kiki Mingo - 4.58 forty, 1.55 10-yard split, 33.68 arms, 14.5 career sacks in 3 years
Dion Jordan - 4.60 forty, 1.57 10-yard split, 33.78 arms, 14.5 career sacks in 3 years (former TE)
C. Lemonier - 4.60 forty, 1.57 10-yard split, 34.48 arms, 17 career sacks in 3 years

* All 3 of their unofficial times were the same (4.53), which was tied for #1 among all DEs.

Lemonier (21, true Junior) is 2 years younger than Jordan (23, RS Senior) and a year younger than Mingo (22, RS Junior).

Just re-posting this to show how special this kid really is in terms of athleticism and production compared to the top pass rushers taken in his draft class.

Thanks for re-posting. I had not seen it before but having watched him go last night, I am not at all surprised by these numbers. His game speed was awesome. Even if it was against 2s, the speed was clear to see.

It was only a small window but he looked like a more agile Aldon Smith. Couldn't tell if he has the power of Smith but the movement was impressive.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
This. Teams like the Steelers and Giants are constantly drafting pass rushers. It's why they've been able to maintain solid defenses over long periods of time. They don't then immediately trade one because they've drafted another good one. Sometimes you lose a good one in FA, but those are the breaks. You must have multiple sold pass rushers to be successful. Hell, it's one of the reasons our D faltered at the end of last season. Now we're going to trade one of our better players at the first sign of having better depth.

Couldn't agree more that you can't have too many pass rushers. However, Ahmad Brooks is not a "pass rusher" per se. He's a great all-around LB against the run & in coverage, diagnosing plays quickly, etc. But Brooks is not a pass rusher like Osi Unemnyura or JPP or one of the myriad of pass rushers who have come through the NYG. If Lemonier can develop those other skills in a year or so and still rush the passer better than Brooks, there's no advantage to keeping an 7 million dollar backup OLB if he's not a terror in passing situations. You draft a guy for that or let Haralson play that role. I'd much rather trade him for a DB if / when Lemonier shows how good he is.

This just shows how much faith I have in Lemonier. I've thought he was a future 10+ sack caliber guy since he was at Auburn, and I was ecstatic the Niners drafted him. Rarely have I seen a guy explode off the snap like he does. I don't think he's just a pass-rusher either; the guy's gonna be a pain in the ass for offenses (run or pass) because of how quick he is.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM ]
lemonade sucks. He's a bust
Originally posted by pdizo916:
lemonade sucks. He's a bust

Brooks isn't going anywhere - dumb thought.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
This. Teams like the Steelers and Giants are constantly drafting pass rushers. It's why they've been able to maintain solid defenses over long periods of time. They don't then immediately trade one because they've drafted another good one. Sometimes you lose a good one in FA, but those are the breaks. You must have multiple sold pass rushers to be successful. Hell, it's one of the reasons our D faltered at the end of last season. Now we're going to trade one of our better players at the first sign of having better depth.

Couldn't agree more that you can't have too many pass rushers. However, Ahmad Brooks is not a "pass rusher" per se. He's a great all-around LB against the run & in coverage, diagnosing plays quickly, etc. But Brooks is not a pass rusher like Osi Unemnyura or JPP or one of the myriad of pass rushers who have come through the NYG. If Lemonier can develop those other skills in a year or so and still rush the passer better than Brooks, there's no advantage to keeping an 7 million dollar backup OLB if he's not a terror in passing situations. You draft a guy for that or let Haralson play that role. I'd much rather trade him for a DB if / when Lemonier shows how good he is.

This just shows how much faith I have in Lemonier. I've thought he was a future 10+ sack caliber guy since he was at Auburn, and I was ecstatic the Niners drafted him. Rarely have I seen a guy explode off the snap like he does. I don't think he's just a pass-rusher either; the guy's gonna be a pain in the ass for offenses (run or pass) because of how quick he is.

Good to hear. Hope he continues to improve.
Great pass rusher already!

What makes Brooks good is how he handles the run. Lemonier over-commits, which puts him out of position to slow down the run. But he'll get better. Definitely excited to have Lemonier on our team!
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
while watching corey play, i was thinking, this guy brings the heat better than dion jordan.
Originally posted by xcfan:
while watching corey play, i was thinking, this guy brings the heat better than dion jordan.

Yeah he does. We got a beast.

Just watching the game now. Ouch. This guy stands out. Do I believe what Im seeing? Or is this just vs 2nd stringers? Don't care. I'm interested to see more.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I didn't mean immediately, but I hope he eventually steals Brooks' job and the Niners trade Brooks for a DB. Maybe next offseason. Brooks is a great OLB in his own right, but why not ride the cheap youngster with a higher ceiling for a few years & spend the money (Brooks' salary) on a position of more dire need?

Here's how I see it: I think Lemonier will eventually be better than Brooks. I think Lemonier could end up being one of the 2 or 3 best pass rushers in the entire 2013 draft. I think he would've been a top 15 pick if he went back to school and the Tigers weren't such a mess on defense. I think Lemonier is a better prospect than Barkevious Mingo is. Brooks is too good & expensive to be a backup, so if that fate befalls him I think the most reasonable thing to do would be to trade him for a DB.

There is a world of football to play before eventually and next offeasson get here.

Lemonier looked good and he has physical traits. I am very happy with the pick.
Originally posted by buck:
I didn't mean immediately, but I hope he eventually steals Brooks' job and the Niners trade Brooks for a DB. Maybe next offseason. Brooks is a great OLB in his own right, but why not ride the cheap youngster with a higher ceiling for a few years & spend the money (Brooks' salary) on a position of more dire need?

Here's how I see it: I think Lemonier will eventually be better than Brooks. I think Lemonier could end up being one of the 2 or 3 best pass rushers in the entire 2013 draft. I think he would've been a top 15 pick if he went back to school and the Tigers weren't such a mess on defense. I think Lemonier is a better prospect than Barkevious Mingo is. Brooks is too good & expensive to be a backup, so if that fate befalls him I think the most reasonable thing to do would be to trade him for a DB.

There is a world of football to play before eventually and next offeasson get here.

Lemonier looked good and he has physical traits. I am very happy with the pick.

Agreed. I was very happy with Lay-moan-yah! His get-off was excellent and he took good angles to the QB, hustled through the whistle, loved his dip-move and has very long arms. He is a harasser! That said, he also showed he's a rookie...poor inside rush lead to a huge run off tackle on his side but overall, he was stout against the run and 1on1 engagements. He'll need a year or two to get acclimated to our 3-4 playbook. He'll need to learn when to rush up field and when to stay home and when to drop back in coverage. One area Brooks excels at is instant play recognition. There is NO hesitation if a QB rolls right in the RZ...he will either sprint up field to force an INC pass or drop back in coverage on the RB for underneath coverage. But right out of the gate, he is promising and I think he would be best served at the WILL spot behind Aldon. And then on obvious pass rushing downs, he can rush from either side. Also, I've always felt Haralson would be much better served at the SAM backing up Brooks and also with some work at inside LB in case WIllis/Bowman go down. What was encouraging was seeing the middle LB cross-dog blitzes up the middle, Ian collapsing the step-up lane and Fangio using all the OLB's to rush from both sides, interchangeably. Good stuff...either way, Corey is going to be learning the SAM and perhaps the WILL from the two best in the game!
Once in a while they draft a guy and immediately you can tell that he's going to be good. And most everyone can see he's good. Willis was like that. Goldson was like that. Lemonade is kinda like that too.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Originally posted by xcfan:

Yeah he does. We got a beast.

Also his arms are longer, which is pretty exclusively what baalke drafts for
Share 49ersWebzone