There are 178 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners select Tank Carradine

Not surprised as that was the plan from the get go. Even after the draft where he started off at 270-275 by the rookie symposium which was like June? he looked to be like 280-285 and buff. 290-295 should be his ideal weight. Should be good to go with his knee surgery done correctly and him at the right weight. Hopefully that year off helped him learn but I hope he gets a lot of time in pre-season. He's a little behind.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Not surprised as that was the plan from the get go. Even after the draft where he started off at 270-275 by the rookie symposium which was like June? he looked to be like 280-285 and buff. 290-295 should be his ideal weight. Should be good to go with his knee surgery done correctly and him at the right weight. Hopefully that year off helped him learn but I hope he gets a lot of time in pre-season. He's a little behind.
I'm hoping he stays healthy and is the type of player that subs in with the second team and you realize you have to find more snaps for him. If he's healthy he's first round talent!
  • DeUh
Originally posted by Jcool:
Dylan DeSimone ‏@DeSimone80

Tank Carradine, on @957thegame, says he's completed healed from his ACL tear and feels "as good as new."

Tank Carradine also says he's up to 295 lbs. now, which was the ideal weight for 3-4 end, but can still speed rush. #49ers

Carradine sounds like a great young player; eager to hit the field, confident in his abilities. Says he can rush from the left or right side

Tank Carradine is like Billy Madison when he gets the ball in dodgeball. "Now you're all in big, big trouble." #49ers

Nice news !
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Dylan DeSimone ‏@DeSimone80

Tank Carradine, on @957thegame, says he's completed healed from his ACL tear and feels "as good as new."

Tank Carradine also says he's up to 295 lbs. now, which was the ideal weight for 3-4 end, but can still speed rush. #49ers

Carradine sounds like a great young player; eager to hit the field, confident in his abilities. Says he can rush from the left or right side

Tank Carradine is like Billy Madison when he gets the ball in dodgeball. "Now you're all in big, big trouble." #49ers

Nice news !

Rooting for this Kid pro scout Matt Miller had him as a top 10 pick before his ACL injury his measurables are impressive

6'4" 295 lbs arm length 34 3/4" hands 10 1/4" 28 reps

Carradine flashes explosion off the snap to challenge the lateral agility of right tackles, and can swipe them away with strong hands to slingshot into the pocket. He also plays with the leverage of a shorter player, brings a strong initial punch to bull lesser tackles off the ball, and simply shoves tight ends away like ragdolls in the run game. There's certainly no issue with his motor, as he will hustle to the sideline if the play can be made.
[ Edited by Harbaalke on Mar 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM ]
This is an excellent article on Tank Carradine. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2017017-should-tank-carradine-start-for-the-san-francisco-49ers-in-2014

I know it's BR but give it a chance, really highlights Tank's strengths and what he can bring to this defense.
Originally posted by matt49er:
This is an excellent article on Tank Carradine. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2017017-should-tank-carradine-start-for-the-san-francisco-49ers-in-2014

I know it's BR but give it a chance, really highlights Tank's strengths and what he can bring to this defense.

Man if this kid pans out to his potential . . .
If Carradine and Lattimore realize their potential, it could make last years draft one of the best in 49er history. I still think Lemonier will be a solid NFL player too. Nice to be in the 49ers position. So talented already that they can effectively redshirt draft picks for a year. This front office is nails (sans 2012 ... lol).
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Apr 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by matt49er:

Man if this kid pans out to his potential . . .

Very good article and point. Can you imagine if Tank started over McDonald (shared 50/50 snaps) with Brooks on that strong side? Holy ! Now, not only can you not run to the strong side EVEN with an extra RB/TE in to block/pass protect but now you have TWO pass rushers coming full speed at you at 260 and 295 pounds...and oh yeah, Justin and Aldon on the WEAK blind side to boot. Carradine is one of the biggest reasons I feel we are going younger and more aggressive/physical at CB. With a tremendsou pass rush and press coverage, there is endless opportunities for INT's, quick 3-and-outs and much less time devoted to "coverage." Not only that but it allows Bethea to play closer to the LOS as well and he is also an excellent rusher himself and has tremendous read-recognition in the run game. And now Reid is free to be a playmaker back there? Good times!
Yeah, I can't wait to see what they're gonna do with Lemonier and Carradine this year, as well as Ian Williams now that he's healthy. I definitely agree with the article about McDonald. He was a beast in 2011, but he's been just a bit above average since then, and hasn't been a real impact player. Not a bad player by any means, but certainly the weakest link in the front 7. If Carradine pans out and Williams/Dorsey do what they were doing, this defense is going to be an absolute monster. Even with Bowman hurt, this could be the best D the Niners have ever assembled.
Originally posted by Disp:
Yeah, I can't wait to see what they're gonna do with Lemonier and Carradine this year, as well as Ian Williams now that he's healthy. I definitely agree with the article about McDonald. He was a beast in 2011, but he's been just a bit above average since then, and hasn't been a real impact player. Not a bad player by any means, but certainly the weakest link in the front 7. If Carradine pans out and Williams/Dorsey do what they were doing, this defense is going to be an absolute monster. Even with Bowman hurt, this could be the best D the Niners have ever assembled.

It's true plus every year it seems like McDonald is battling injuries a lot so having some real help there (and an added push) could be epic for us.
I think they'll work Tank in slowly at first - till he gets his feet wet and then POW!

I hope Vic uses the rotation more and more.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
If you look at his game tape, Tank just jumps out at you. He just looks like this big monstrosity who is moving so quick and fluid, it's obvious this guy has all the physical tools to be a great player. I said last year when we took him, when all is said and done I think we got the best player and definite best bargain pick in the draft
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
If Carradine and Lattimore realize their potential, it could make last years draft one of the best in 49er history. I still think Lemonier will be a solid NFL player too. Nice to be in the 49ers position. So talented already that they can effectively redshirt draft picks for a year. This front office is nails (sans 2012 ... lol).

What do you mean "still" think? Lemonhead was 21 last year. His snaps dropped after Aldon came back because that's what Fangio does. No other reason.

Hard to watch that burst sitting on the bench.
With Lattimore, the 49ers kept him on the IR all year, which bought them an extra year on his contract (in essence). Considering Tank didn't play a single snap, it's too bad they didn't take the same approach with him. They must've had high hopes they he was going to make the active roster for the end of the year / playoffs. Otherwise you think they would've take the same approach as they did with Lattimore.

Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but it woulda been nice to delay his free agency by an extra year if he wasn't going to play anyway.
Can't wait to see this guy on the field for the 49ers!