There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners select Tank Carradine

Originally posted by martysofresh:
Does anybody else think tank looks like Kevin hart?

I think he looks more like Michael Jackson
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by LVJay:
No sweat... just a little bit of tissue that was scarred

Well they were right about his rehab being rushed to get ready for the draft. While the tissue could've been badly scarred even if he had time for a traditional rehab it definitely wasn't helped by rushing back for work outs.

Lesson to be learned.... hopefully, Bowman recovers 100% and game ready (on time for the playoffs).
You guys are missing the real story here.

Why did the team wait until after the season to do the second surgery? There is no good explanation in my book. Any attempted explanation leads to more judgement questions, either with the team's talent evaluation or with the team's medical staff.

Very disconcerting IMO.
Niner's are just taking a High Risk/ High Reward chance with some of their draft picks based on the overall depth of the roster. You have to decide do you take the high level talent that has an injury and would most likely play few if any snaps? Or do you take a healthy guy who may have less talent but could make up for it with coaching to a point but in all reality will probably play just as many snaps as the injured guy with talent would of. When teams have solid rosters they can take the risks and if you hit on an All Pro or a core player then the risk was worth it based on contracts now. As a Hawks fan I can easily say they are injured bad choices and write them off, but as a football fan I fear if they hit on even half of them. With the talent already on the roster a 30% hit rate on these guys could keep the Niners fueled for the next few years. Hawks have been lucky getting guys in the late rounds that have turned out to be core players, but we have also missed on a few 1st rounders and even have cut multiple mid round draft picks before the season has started. My point being a player of Tanks ability is worth the wait, I would hope once our roster is a bit more stable we can take those same risks because the rewards are much more grandeous.

Example: We drafted C. Michael in the 2nd round. Latimore played almost as many snaps. When both are healthy they will almost have the same amount of game time on the NFL level.

#GoHawks
[ Edited by Brahn on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:03 AM ]
Originally posted by CardinalGold:
You guys are missing the real story here.

Why did the team wait until after the season to do the second surgery? There is no good explanation in my book. Any attempted explanation leads to more judgement questions, either with the team's talent evaluation or with the team's medical staff.

Very disconcerting IMO.

Maybe he was at a point in the rehab process that they didn't want to interrupt. Or maybe they wanted to keep him in the rhythm of the season.

There is a lot we don't know. I won't look for reasons to worry until he misses the 2014 season opener.
[ Edited by VinculumJuris on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:07 AM ]
"Tank's in a good place, he really is" Baalke said. "He's worked awfully hard. He's playing at, I think, is pushing 290 pounds right now. He's had a great offseason that started, really, at the beginning of this year. ... He's done an outstanding job, and we expect big things from Tank."Carradine weighed in at 276 pounds at this time last year.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/02/combine-notes-49ers-seeking-ilb-an-extra-season-for-marcus-lattimore.html#storylink=cpy
Originally posted by NCommand:
"Tank's in a good place, he really is" Baalke said. "He's worked awfully hard. He's playing at, I think, is pushing 290 pounds right now. He's had a great offseason that started, really, at the beginning of this year. ... He's done an outstanding job, and we expect big things from Tank."Carradine weighed in at 276 pounds at this time last year.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/02/combine-notes-49ers-seeking-ilb-an-extra-season-for-marcus-lattimore.html#storylink=cpy

probably gained fat because he cant run on that bum knee.

gonna be a beast
Originally posted by susweel:

probably gained fat because he cant run on that bum knee.

It was scar tissue. He could do anything he wanted on it, just not at 100% speed because he couldn't extend it all the way out.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 21, 2014 at 7:34 PM ]

Tank represents one of those changing of the guard situations that sucks. You want him to be great and to succeed... but it means forcing out the old guy that we as fans are proud to claim as a 49er. Tank-Justin, is just the latest version of Owens-Rice and Young-Montana. Or should I say, it has that potential?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i don't think we've heard the last of tank's knee.
from what i saw of his workouts a year ago during pre-draft, it appeared like he was racing around outside of his rehab protocol, and subjecting the knee to too much. not surprised by excess scar tissue when you're yanking on tissue that hasn't fully healed. i wouldn't be surprised if his acl is not in optimal shape, and is something that will downgrade the overall soundness of his knee. heck, maybe they had to redo some acl during this so-called clean up surgery.

He noted that the contracts of some of those players toll. That is, if a player, such as Lattimore, does not appear on the active roster, then the year does not count against his contract. Lattimore therefore is signed for four seasons, through the 2017 season.

While Carradine never played a snap last season, he did appear on the active for five weeks before the defensive end was shut down altogether in December. Therefore, his contract - as well as Joe Looney's in 2012 - does not toll.

Glad to know we didn't lose a year on these players.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:

He noted that the contracts of some of those players toll. That is, if a player, such as Lattimore, does not appear on the active roster, then the year does not count against his contract. Lattimore therefore is signed for four seasons, through the 2017 season.

While Carradine never played a snap last season, he did appear on the active for five weeks before the defensive end was shut down altogether in December. Therefore, his contract - as well as Joe Looney's in 2012 - does not toll.

A toll is a toll and a roll is a roll. If we don't get no tolls, we don't get no rolls.

So to be clear, Lattimore, Carradine, Dial, Looney, Marquadt, etc...their contracts don't "start" until this second year (2014) and extend another year d/t their non-use to (2017) now?

So to be clear, Lattimore, Carradine, Dial, Looney, Marquadt, etc...their contracts don't "start" until this second year (2014) and extend another year d/t their non-use to (2017) now?

My thought was we would lose a year on Carradine because he was on the active roster, though he did not dress. Guess the article says otherwise. But looks like Lattimore and others such as Okoye, who has a 3 year contract, but was put on IR, we won't lose that year. But they did get paid though.