There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners select Tank Carradine

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Harbs just said Tank had a procedure after the season to clear out scare tissue in his knee. He said he couldn't straighten out his knee before the surgery.

Well that's reassuring. ...There is a reason many of us are not convinced our DL is as "set" for the years to come.

* Justin Smith is 35 and said himself he's not sure he'll be able to do this anymore after this coming season.
* McDonald is rock solid, but he turns 30 this year himself and has been nicked up fairly often.
* Carradine has yet to even step foot on the field for a game -- no one should assume how good he'll be, if any, until we see him play.
* Dial dressed for only three games. He made 1 tackle. 1. He's the 4th string NT/DE. Totally unproven.
* Jerrod-Eddie showed a fair amount of both promise and versatility, but he's still developing and the drop-off was still obvious when he was in, as opposed to the regular starters.

So after our aging starters, all we have really is one big clump of question marks. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to go into the season with all those eggs in one basket. It's my opinion we must draft a DL in case Carradine isn't healthy. TJE showed promise, but there was still a noticeable drop-off between him and the starters. If McDonald or Justin get hurt, I want a player in there who gives me more assurance than our current backups.

I agree that we should draft a defensive end.

I am not really convinced that we have one big clump or question marks.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Harbs just said Tank had a procedure after the season to clear out scare tissue in his knee. He said he couldn't straighten out his knee before the surgery.

Well that's reassuring. ...There is a reason many of us are not convinced our DL is as "set" for the years to come.

* Justin Smith is 35 and said himself he's not sure he'll be able to do this anymore after this coming season.
* McDonald is rock solid, but he turns 30 this year himself and has been nicked up fairly often.
* Carradine has yet to even step foot on the field for a game -- no one should assume how good he'll be, if any, until we see him play.
* Dial dressed for only three games. He made 1 tackle. 1. He's the 4th string NT/DE. Totally unproven.
* Jerrod-Eddie showed a fair amount of both promise and versatility, but he's still developing and the drop-off was still obvious when he was in, as opposed to the regular starters.

So after our aging starters, all we have really is one big clump of question marks. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to go into the season with all those eggs in one basket. It's my opinion we must draft a DL in case Carradine isn't healthy. TJE showed promise, but there was still a noticeable drop-off between him and the starters. If McDonald or Justin get hurt, I want a player in there who gives me more assurance than our current backups.

These are fair points and IMHO, the type of move this FO makes (and shocks everyone - LOL).

That said, the strategy for this FO has also been UDFA, cast-off FA's and injured red-shirted players. They obviously don't put a premium on high, healthy DL draft picks. And in this system, b/c we only need 3 DL to occupy 5 OL and the mere fact we have the best DL coach in the game in Tomsula, the FO leans heavily on developmenting players...from Ian Williams (UDFA), to Dorsey (cheap FA cast off) last year, to TJE (where'd he come from?) to Dobbs (developed) and even current developmental players in Dial (NT/DE) and Okoye and more. Carradine is the only high pick thus far so my best guess is that the FO feels they can DEVELOP the DL even after letting guys like Sopoaga and his backup walk w/o a thought about it (for more $). If we go par for the course here, I wouldn't expect a high 1-2 round DL draft pick. I'd expect an upside FA brought in or a 3rd-UDFA pick brought in. The developmental emphasis this year, even minus the FA and draft, will be to develop Carradine, Dial, TJE and Okoye...and the continued upswing of Ian Williams at NT.

McDonald, Dorsey and Smith will remain focused on a snap-count and health via rotation.

With the amount of firepower we have now in the draft, I think we will at least take a slightly more aggressive approach as far as getting impact playmakers. We need to make our roster better both immediately and for the future, and there are plenty of areas we can IMMEDIATELY improve now.
he is very valuable to us, being Justin Smith's eventual replacement.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Word at the draft was his knee ain't right.

Well, that knee ain't right. I'm against drafting injured guys, especially the knees and especially that high.

Those things rarely heal right, especially on a big man.

many teams had removed him from the their draft boards.

Yeah i remember hearing that. I don't mind the risky pick, but it was such a high round pick for a guy you don't even expect to suit up. Now he is having knee issues. Even if he does become great, how long will he last?
Does anybody else think tank looks like Kevin hart?
Was always a risky pick. Hope it pays off in a big way.

Well, that knee ain't right. I'm against drafting injured guys, especially the knees and especially that high.

Yeah i remember hearing that. I don't mind the risky pick, but it was such a high round pick for a guy you don't even expect to suit up. Now he is having knee issues. Even if he does become great, how long will he last?

That is a reasonable concern, but if we took that approach, there are some pretty good players on our team that we would pass on. Michael Crabtree had his foot issues coming out of college, Ray McDonald had bad knees, and we all know the story of Frank Gore.

I like the strategy of taking 1st round players that fall due to injury and hope we continue, just not with 2nd round picks.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

That is a reasonable concern, but if we took that approach, there are some pretty good players on our team that we would pass on. Michael Crabtree had his foot issues coming out of college, Ray McDonald had bad knees, and we all know the story of Frank Gore.

I like the strategy of taking 1st round players that fall due to injury and hope we continue, just not with 2nd round picks.

Raymac was a lower round pick so that is ok by me. He is prone to injury though. Crabtree is also prone to injury. He has missed a lot of game time and practice nursing injuries. Gore is the posterboy for drafting an injured guy.
Agree. I hope he comes out beasting. We need to find a way to replace Justin Smith now. I have a feels that this will be his last season.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

These are fair points and IMHO, the type of move this FO makes (and shocks everyone - LOL).

That said, the strategy for this FO has also been UDFA, cast-off FA's and injured red-shirted players. They obviously don't put a premium on high, healthy DL draft picks. And in this system, b/c we only need 3 DL to occupy 5 OL and the mere fact we have the best DL coach in the game in Tomsula, the FO leans heavily on developmenting players...from Ian Williams (UDFA), to Dorsey (cheap FA cast off) last year, to TJE (where'd he come from?) to Dobbs (developed) and even current developmental players in Dial (NT/DE) and Okoye and more. Carradine is the only high pick thus far so my best guess is that the FO feels they can DEVELOP the DL even after letting guys like Sopoaga and his backup walk w/o a thought about it (for more $). If we go par for the course here, I wouldn't expect a high 1-2 round DL draft pick. I'd expect an upside FA brought in or a 3rd-UDFA pick brought in. The developmental emphasis this year, even minus the FA and draft, will be to develop Carradine, Dial, TJE and Okoye...and the continued upswing of Ian Williams at NT.

McDonald, Dorsey and Smith will remain focused on a snap-count and health via rotation.

With the amount of firepower we have now in the draft, I think we will at least take a slightly more aggressive approach as far as getting impact playmakers. We need to make our roster better both immediately and for the future, and there are plenty of areas we can IMMEDIATELY improve now.

The idea of drafting a high DE/NT is starting to grow on me more and more. Listening to Harbaugh at the combine, he continues to talk about building from the inside out/back. And this may be one position where we CAN not only upgrade immediately but down the road as well.
its not how many draft picks a team has. Its what they DO with those draft picks.

The "zombie" strategy will pay off for us in the end. We have two "tep ten" talents in Lattimore and Carradine, and we have to see if they were worth the wait.

I personally love the strategy. I wouldn't mind going all-out zombie again.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

The "zombie" strategy will pay off for us in the end. We have two "tep ten" talents in Lattimore and Carradine, and we have to see if they were worth the wait.

I personally love the strategy. I wouldn't mind going all-out zombie again.

I like the strategy too, we know they have the talent while recovering from there injury they have the chance to learn the playbooks other important parts of the game at a pro level.
I had this sneaking suspicion something wasn't right with Tank physically. Let's hope this current procedure enables him to get in shape for the off-season program and the regular season.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
No sweat... just a little bit of tissue that was scarred
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
No sweat... just a little bit of tissue that was scarred

Well they were right about his rehab being rushed to get ready for the draft. While the tissue could've been badly scarred even if he had time for a traditional rehab it definitely wasn't helped by rushing back for work outs.