There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners select Tank Carradine

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't understand this rhetoric that Carradine is "maxed out" at all, its pretty amusing actually.

'NO, NO, THIS GUY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO ADD 10 POUNDS OF MUSCLE IN THE PRO'S, NEVER EVER."

Its like completely ignoring common sense, much less basic anatomy. Carradine will be just fine, he's got a solid thick build, people were looking at him as a potential 3-4 DE all along in the draft process last year. The biggest negative against Carradine in the draft process was that he was very raw. When you have Tomsula as the DL coach, that becomes a lot less of a problem.

I know right, not to mention we're talking about a 24 year old kid whose metabolism and testosterone and other fitness related bodily functions are probably still off the charts due to his athletic build and history.

On a side note I can't believe he is going to be 24 in 2 weeks .
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM ]
Originally posted by niners94:
Can't wait to see this guy. If he turns out to be as good as Baalke thinks, our defense can take a massive step up, which is scary.

Carradine, Dial & Lattimore will have huge impacts this year. Cant wait!
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't understand this rhetoric that Carradine is "maxed out" at all, its pretty amusing actually.

'NO, NO, THIS GUY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO ADD 10 POUNDS OF MUSCLE IN THE PRO'S, NEVER EVER."

Its like completely ignoring common sense, much less basic anatomy. Carradine will be just fine, he's got a solid thick build, people were looking at him as a potential 3-4 DE all along in the draft process last year. The biggest negative against Carradine in the draft process was that he was very raw. When you have Tomsula as the DL coach, that becomes a lot less of a problem.

I know right, not to mention we're talking about a 24 year old kid whose metabolism and testosterone and other fitness related bodily functions are probably still off the charts due to his athletic build and history.

On a side note I can't believe he is going to be 24 in 2 weeks .

He's going to be great provided he stays healthy. Justin and Ray Mac were very similar in stature coming out of college. 6'4" 270ish. They all played 4-3 DE in college. They were viewed as DE/DT tweeners. Same with Carradine. These are the type of guys we look for in a 3-4 DE. He's going to be awesome.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Can't wait to see this guy. If he turns out to be as good as Baalke thinks, our defense can take a massive step up, which is scary.

If Latt doesn't we are in trouble.
Originally posted by jreff22:

I don't know about that. He was taken as a gamble. I'm sure the 49ers can find a free agent or give Hunter or James a legitimate shot to take over. RB is the one area I'm not concerned. However, OL and play calling is very shaky.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
I'd like to know how you know he is maxed out in weight? That is just some broad stroke statement to justify that you aren't happy with the pick.

If Tank works out with the rest of the front 7, he'll be as physically well built as Ray Mac or Justin. Add in the unsung hero in our head strength coach Mark Uyeyama and Carradine will be better off than you can ever imagine, especially with Tomsula coaching him.

By the way this from Uyeyama's bio on 49ers.com

Mark Uyeyama (ooh-ee-YAH-muh) is in his fifth season with the 49ers, and second as head strength and conditioning coach, after having served as the assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2008-10. In 2011, Uyeyama was named Samson Equipment's NFL Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Year by American Football Monthly.

Uyeyama is responsible for overseeing the team's strength and conditioning program, which includes strength, power development, speed, recovery and regeneration, as well as the nutritional program for the players. He brings an individualized approach to the strength and conditioning position within a team-based context.

We can thank him for helping Crabtree get back into playing shape so quickly. Can't wait to see what he's done with Carradine and will do with Bowman!

looking at tank's frame over the last five years, it's evident he's not a naturally big, thick-wristed guy like a lot of buffalo's playing d-line. he came out of high school at his present height BUT at only 200 lbs.
at his present 270 or so, you can see that he does not have room to grow. he'll become injury prone if he continues to pack it on--it's physics. his connective tissue won't be able to sustain the forces generated by all that manufactured muscle.
Originally posted by xcfan:
I'd like to know how you know he is maxed out in weight? That is just some broad stroke statement to justify that you aren't happy with the pick.

If Tank works out with the rest of the front 7, he'll be as physically well built as Ray Mac or Justin. Add in the unsung hero in our head strength coach Mark Uyeyama and Carradine will be better off than you can ever imagine, especially with Tomsula coaching him.

By the way this from Uyeyama's bio on 49ers.com

Mark Uyeyama (ooh-ee-YAH-muh) is in his fifth season with the 49ers, and second as head strength and conditioning coach, after having served as the assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2008-10. In 2011, Uyeyama was named Samson Equipment's NFL Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Year by American Football Monthly.

Uyeyama is responsible for overseeing the team's strength and conditioning program, which includes strength, power development, speed, recovery and regeneration, as well as the nutritional program for the players. He brings an individualized approach to the strength and conditioning position within a team-based context.

We can thank him for helping Crabtree get back into playing shape so quickly. Can't wait to see what he's done with Carradine and will do with Bowman!

looking at tank's frame over the last five years, it's evident he's not a naturally big, thick-wristed guy like a lot of buffalo's playing d-line. he came out of high school at his present height BUT at only 200 lbs.
at his present 270 or so, you can see that he does not have room to grow. he'll become injury prone if he continues to pack it on--it's physics. his connective tissue won't be able to sustain the forces generated by all that manufactured muscle.

Are you a Dr?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Are you a Dr?

not a Dr, but i play one on the internets
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Are you a Dr?

not a Dr, but i play one on the internets

Originally posted by jreff22:

lol

oh yeah, we are doomed to maybe lose in the NFCC game again. oh the horror
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
dial and impact don't go together in the same sentence. he's slower than o-linemen.
Tank will be a pass rushing beast. I just have question about how he will hold up vs the run.
Originally posted by CougNiner:
Tank will be a pass rushing beast. I just have question about how he will hold up vs the run.

It's an adjustment. No different than Aldon Smith having to learn how to play in space.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by CougNiner:

It's an adjustment. No different than Aldon Smith having to learn how to play in space.

Dont forget Ian Williams is returning. If he can hold the middle, Tank and Aldon will be fine.
Having our team infused with Williams, Carradine, and Dial, even before adding new draft picks, will be a huge boost for this team.

NFL is now all about finding young talent and depth, and extra numbers on the D line is huge.