LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Kentwan was a beast

Girl I'm a beast up in these sheets!
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
What happens if Tank goes "Darius Fleming" on the 49ers and injures himself in the offseason?? That would be ANOTHER wasted 2nd rounder for a guy who DOES NOT transition to a 3/4 end.

What if....
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Tank isn't an OLB.

2) Justin isn't a DT. I know people refer to him that way sometimes, but he's a 3-4 DE.

3) Tank will be coached to play 3-4 DE. He has the ability. You say he sucks against the run and I can say that Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker couldn't block when they were drafted. Its coachable. What isn't coachable is size, athleticism and motor...all of which Tank has in spades.

Its pretty much a standard talking point, much how people said Aldon sucked against the run...etc. Carradine was already over 280 pounds during the season, in this system, at DE, it is all you really need and I think he will be fine, the only thing I can see holding him back are unresolved injury issues which I'm hoping that after an extended amount of time to rehab and develop, he has put in the past, behind him.
What happens if Tank goes "Darius Fleming" on the 49ers and injures himself in the offseason?? That would be ANOTHER wasted 2nd rounder for a guy who DOES NOT transition to a 3/4 end.

Repeating something erroneous over and over doesn't make it correct. Not sure where you are getting this "doesn't make a transition" to 3/4 DE, that, no offense, is absolute b******t. He's got a terrific frame to be a 3-4 DE, not sure what issues you're saying but you're vastly in the minority with that.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by xcfan:
tank is physically maxed-out at his coming-out-of-college weight. i doubt he will be durable and studly trying to play at 280-290. he'd be a better player as a 4-3 de weighing 255-265.

?

What makes you say that? Even if its true, he could play DE at 275.

Same stuff was said about Justin Smith when he came out at around 267. They said he would only be a 4'3 DE.

Man we got Tomsula! Nuff said! And please no one bring up Kentwan Balmer

I'd like to know how you know he is maxed out in weight? That is just some broad stroke statement to justify that you aren't happy with the pick.

If Tank works out with the rest of the front 7, he'll be as physically well built as Ray Mac or Justin. Add in the unsung hero in our head strength coach Mark Uyeyama and Carradine will be better off than you can ever imagine, especially with Tomsula coaching him.

By the way this from Uyeyama's bio on 49ers.com

Mark Uyeyama (ooh-ee-YAH-muh) is in his fifth season with the 49ers, and second as head strength and conditioning coach, after having served as the assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2008-10. In 2011, Uyeyama was named Samson Equipment's NFL Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Year by American Football Monthly.

Uyeyama is responsible for overseeing the team's strength and conditioning program, which includes strength, power development, speed, recovery and regeneration, as well as the nutritional program for the players. He brings an individualized approach to the strength and conditioning position within a team-based context.

We can thank him for helping Crabtree get back into playing shape so quickly. Can't wait to see what he's done with Carradine and will do with Bowman!
Originally posted by WINiner:

What if....

I know right?! What if?! What the f**k?!
[ Edited by Nalo9er on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
I'd like to know how you know he is maxed out in weight? That is just some broad stroke statement to justify that you aren't happy with the pick.

If Tank works out with the rest of the front 7, he'll be as physically well built as Ray Mac or Justin. Add in the unsung hero in our head strength coach Mark Uyeyama and Carradine will be better off than you can ever imagine, especially with Tomsula coaching him.

Mark Uyeyama (ooh-ee-YAH-muh) is in his fifth season with the 49ers, and second as head strength and conditioning coach, after having served as the assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2008-10. In 2011, Uyeyama was named Samson Equipment's NFL Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Year by American Football Monthly.

Uyeyama is responsible for overseeing the team's strength and conditioning program, which includes strength, power development, speed, recovery and regeneration, as well as the nutritional program for the players. He brings an individualized approach to the strength and conditioning position within a team-based context.

We can thank him for helping Crabtree get back into playing shape so quickly. Can't wait to see what he's done with Carradine and will do with Bowman!

I don't understand this rhetoric that Carradine is "maxed out" at all, its pretty amusing actually.

'NO, NO, THIS GUY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO ADD 10 POUNDS OF MUSCLE IN THE PRO'S, NEVER EVER."

Its like completely ignoring common sense, much less basic anatomy. Carradine will be just fine, he's got a solid thick build, people were looking at him as a potential 3-4 DE all along in the draft process last year. The biggest negative against Carradine in the draft process was that he was very raw. When you have Tomsula as the DL coach, that becomes a lot less of a problem.
Can't wait to see this guy. If he turns out to be as good as Baalke thinks, our defense can take a massive step up, which is scary.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't understand this rhetoric that Carradine is "maxed out" at all, its pretty amusing actually.

'NO, NO, THIS GUY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO ADD 10 POUNDS OF MUSCLE IN THE PRO'S, NEVER EVER."

Its like completely ignoring common sense, much less basic anatomy. Carradine will be just fine, he's got a solid thick build, people were looking at him as a potential 3-4 DE all along in the draft process last year. The biggest negative against Carradine in the draft process was that he was very raw. When you have Tomsula as the DL coach, that becomes a lot less of a problem.

I know right, not to mention we're talking about a 24 year old kid whose metabolism and testosterone and other fitness related bodily functions are probably still off the charts due to his athletic build and history.

On a side note I can't believe he is going to be 24 in 2 weeks .
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM ]
Originally posted by niners94:
Can't wait to see this guy. If he turns out to be as good as Baalke thinks, our defense can take a massive step up, which is scary.

Carradine, Dial & Lattimore will have huge impacts this year. Cant wait!

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I know right, not to mention we're talking about a 24 year old kid whose metabolism and testosterone and other fitness related bodily functions are probably still off the charts due to his athletic build and history.

On a side note I can't believe he is going to be 24 in 2 weeks .

He's going to be great provided he stays healthy. Justin and Ray Mac were very similar in stature coming out of college. 6'4" 270ish. They all played 4-3 DE in college. They were viewed as DE/DT tweeners. Same with Carradine. These are the type of guys we look for in a 3-4 DE. He's going to be awesome.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

If Latt doesn't we are in trouble.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

If Latt doesn't we are in trouble.

I don't know about that. He was taken as a gamble. I'm sure the 49ers can find a free agent or give Hunter or James a legitimate shot to take over. RB is the one area I'm not concerned. However, OL and play calling is very shaky.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

looking at tank's frame over the last five years, it's evident he's not a naturally big, thick-wristed guy like a lot of buffalo's playing d-line. he came out of high school at his present height BUT at only 200 lbs.
at his present 270 or so, you can see that he does not have room to grow. he'll become injury prone if he continues to pack it on--it's physics. his connective tissue won't be able to sustain the forces generated by all that manufactured muscle.
Originally posted by xcfan:

looking at tank's frame over the last five years, it's evident he's not a naturally big, thick-wristed guy like a lot of buffalo's playing d-line. he came out of high school at his present height BUT at only 200 lbs.
at his present 270 or so, you can see that he does not have room to grow. he'll become injury prone if he continues to pack it on--it's physics. his connective tissue won't be able to sustain the forces generated by all that manufactured muscle.

Are you a Dr?
Share 49ersWebzone