LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
What happens if Tank goes "Darius Fleming" on the 49ers and injures himself in the offseason?? That would be ANOTHER wasted 2nd rounder for a guy who DOES NOT transition to a 3/4 end.
2nd round failure continues
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
What happens if Tank goes "Darius Fleming" on the 49ers and injures himself in the offseason?? That would be ANOTHER wasted 2nd rounder for a guy who DOES NOT transition to a 3/4 end.

What if Willis tears his knee? What if Crabtree tears his Achilles? What is CK tears his knee? what if what if what if.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

What if Willis tears his knee? What if Crabtree tears his Achilles? What is CK tears his knee? what if what if what if.

the 49ers could actually survive a Willis injury, he's so overrated and gets beat and wasted in pass coverage by the Luke Willsons of the TE World. I'd be all for a Willis release of that over paid salary and plug in Moody or Wilhoite.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

the 49ers could actually survive a Willis injury, he's so overrated and gets beat and wasted in pass coverage by the Luke Willsons of the TE World. I'd be all for a Willis release of that over paid salary and plug in Moody or Wilhoite.

He only counts for 2.3 million this year and about 6.9 million next year. We paid him the big bucks already and this year and next year he is worth it IMO
I never saw him in college. How good is he? To justify and early 2nd round pick on a player that has to red shirt he should be a top 25 player. Is he that good?

Also. Does anybody know what the plan is for him? I originally thought he was drafted to replace Justin Smith one day but he weighs about 265 and not nearly big enough for a 3-4 DE. Do they want to bulk him up or is he a situational pass rusher or to be groomed to back up Aldon Smith? Have the 49ers made their plan for him known?
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Before the knee injury - high to mid first

After injury - probably where he went.

He was a great player a FSU - East. If he is able to play at near the same level in the NFL, the 49ers will have a younger Justin Smith.

His weight shouldn't be an issue. I believe he's bigger than Justin Smith when he come out of Mizzu. Besides, after a couple of cycles of HGH, he'll be weighing around 290 - all rip.
[ Edited by Geeked on Feb 5, 2014 at 6:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Geeked:
Before the knee injury - high to mid first

After injury - probably where he went.

He was a great player a FSU - East. If he is able to play at near the same level in the NFL, the 49ers will have a younger Justin Smith.

His weight shouldn't be an issue. I believe he's bigger than Justin Smith when he come out of Mizzu. Besides, after a couple of cycles of HGH, he'll be weighing around 290 - all rip.
Thanks for the info. If he comes through it would be big for the 49ers.
He's not good against the run, but he's a beast rushing the passer at FSU. This guy will replace Aldon before he replaces Justin. Tank should stay around his 275lb frame and be used as a pass rusher. The 49ers need to draft a DT to replace Justin.
I would love a massive Ngata or Wilfork type of DT on the 49ers. Someone who commands 2 blockers every snap and allows Willis/Bowman to make all the tackles.
Not sure if Ian Williams is that guy for this year. Although he never got a chance due to early injury.

He's not good against the run, but he's a beast rushing the passer at FSU. This guy will replace Aldon before he replaces Justin. Tank should stay around his 275lb frame and be used as a pass rusher. The 49ers need to draft a DT to replace Justin.

I hope not. Aldon is the most important player on the team IMO. I just hope Tank is worth the wait. I found it strange that a team trying to contend basically red-shirted 2 players in him and Lattimore. I hope they both become star players.

1) Tank isn't an OLB.

2) Justin isn't a DT. I know people refer to him that way sometimes, but he's a 3-4 DE.

3) Tank will be coached to play 3-4 DE. He has the ability. You say he sucks against the run and I can say that Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker couldn't block when they were drafted. Its coachable. What isn't coachable is size, athleticism and motor...all of which Tank has in spades.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 5, 2014 at 9:21 AM ]
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Tons and tons of potential, he was ripped at 275, another 10 to 20 pounds would fit on his frame pretty easily if it was necessary, but I'm not sure it is. If his knee recovers and he can play with the same aggressiveness he did in college, the guy could be a stud.
His name says it all
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:

1) Tank isn't an OLB.

2) Justin isn't a DT. I know people refer to him that way sometimes, but he's a 3-4 DE.

3) Tank will be coached to play 3-4 DE. He has the ability. You say he sucks against the run and I can say that Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker couldn't block when they were drafted. Its coachable. What isn't coachable is size, athleticism and motor...all of which Tank has in spades.

Agree'ed, my J.Smith comparison was flawed. I keep forgetting he moves down to a traditional DT type position during passing downs and more or less covers or shades to the inside on the OT.

Tank may be more on the McDonald side of the ball..... Now, would McDonald be able to sub for Smith or even replace. What are his weight numbers.

It's odd how every time I put substantial thought into the 49ers' defensive scheme, I end up walking away with them playing a 4-3 with a standing DE... that could be on either side of the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone