There are 223 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Waste of a pick, Hope i'm wrong. He's a pass rushing 6'4 275lb DE and theyre trying to make him a runstopping 3/4 DE. Its not his style. His style is a Pass Rusher using his athletic ability. If they mis use him, it wont work. They need to atleast unleash him on some passing downs.

you have a pretty good understanding of tank's present talent.
as of draft day, he was a big question mark as a 49er talent. as a college DE, and already being pretty much maxed out in physique, where does he fit, and does his natural pass-rush talent diminish with an additional 15-20 lbs?
he doesn't have the frame to put on an easy 15-20 lbs of muscle. his bone structure is even a little smaller than ex-49er bryant young. and 2-3 years ago, tank was much smaller than now. in my mind, it is very questionable whether he can carry 290 and excel.
i've always thought tank would be a better pass-rushing DE if he lost 10-15 lbs--not gain 20. but that would put him as an exclusive 4-3 end type, not really a fit here.
ideally, you want your d-linemen country strong, because they have the bone, ligament, and tendon strength to go along with an equal measure of muscle and--importantly--are less prone to injury, compared to guys carrying an unnatural 20-50 lbs of bulked-up muscle on a smaller, inadequate skeleton that can't handle wear and tear like a naturally thick-wristed big boy.

the jury's out on tank. bryant young got bigger and handled the nfl well; tank has a little bigger challenge in my opinion.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I have seen Tomsula turn glitter into gold far too many times to doubt that he knows exactly what personnel he needs for his DL. Tomsula is the chief reason TJE and Dorsey has shined and he is the reason I am confident that both Tank and Okoye can make significant gains into next season

okoye is massively strong and has a massive frame. the problem is he has tight joints and lacks flexibility and agility for DE play.

here's what you do with him if you keep him on defense: you turn him into an even bigger and stronger shaun rogers. get him up to 340-350 (which would be easy because he has no body fat) and make him into a massive, pocket collapsing d-tackle who has the strength and mass to destroy double teams while getting push into the pocket.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Don't sweat it, everything's gonna be fine, Bethel-Thompson is gone
Originally posted by xcfan:
okoye is massively strong and has a massive frame. the problem is he has tight joints and lacks flexibility and agility for DE play.

here's what you do with him if you keep him on defense: you turn him into an even bigger and stronger shaun rogers. get him up to 340-350 (which would be easy because he has no body fat) and make him into a massive, pocket collapsing d-tackle who has the strength and mass to destroy double teams while getting push into the pocket.

the fact that he's on the team means he feels he can mold him.

1 full year to watch and learn and grow and train

and then an entire offseason to put in work and build

by preseason he should be beastly. if he wants it.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I have seen Tomsula turn glitter into gold far too many times to doubt that he knows exactly what personnel he needs for his DL. Tomsula is the chief reason TJE and Dorsey has shined and he is the reason I am confident that both Tank and Okoye can make significant gains into next season

You're saying that a former rugby winger and olympic discuss thrower has tight joints and lacks flexibility????
[ Edited by Buchy on Nov 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Buchy:
You're saying that a former rugby winger and olympic discuss thrower has tight joints and lacks flexibility????

Lol.

Wow. that post was truly, 100% pulled out of you butt, with zero credibility.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
you'll see. he's linear; a tightly-wound sprinter. the only way he wins will be bull rush. his ankles are way to tight to be able to dip around a tackle. big mistake not to develop him as a ROT. DT is the next best thing.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Tanks learning a whole new position without having OTA's or off season workouts. He'll probably remain inactive the remainder of the season. Next year is when he'll make his mark.
  • buck
  • Veteran
you'll see. he's linear; a tightly-wound sprinter.

Does he run the 100 or 200?

You are joking right, right. I have to think you are just making stuff up.
[ Edited by buck on Nov 28, 2013 at 5:33 AM ]

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Does he run the 100 or 200?

You are joking right, right. I have to think you are just making stuff up.

he used to run the 100m--under 11 seconds, in fact. I've spent years and years scouting and evaluating track athletes, so I trust my judgment pretty well when watching athletes run around. okoye runs like a sprinter, and that is not what you want in a defensive lineman. he's always on the balls of his feet, and you don't have power against a load when you run like that. you have to be able to naturally plant your whole foot on the ground and drive through your hips to get the kind of torque and power to move mass. people with speed and power in a straight line almost never have that ability with lateral movement. anatomically, those two abilities are mutually exclusive. in order to take on and dominate people coming at you from different angles, you need some big, ox hips that can push equally well side to side and forward. more narrow, tight, sprinter hips are great at linear explosion--but that's about it.
in my opinion, okoye is built more like sprinter than an ox. I don't see him being able to work well through garbage along the d-line, but if he gets more powerful, he can be effective collapsing pockets. his linear power is probably top notch. teach him to penetrate.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Buchy:

Lol.

Pass dat sht
Originally posted by Niners99:

Wow. that post was truly, 100% pulled out of you butt, with zero credibility.

This. The guy has barely played football. How you can come up with that is beyond me.
you'll see. he's linear; a tightly-wound sprinter. the only way he wins will be bull rush. his ankles are way to tight to be able to dip around a tackle. big mistake not to develop him as a ROT. DT is the next best thing.

UHM, how big is he? You want him to "dip"? I want him to plug two gaps and then let Bowman and Willis to dip ok.

Are you really telling JH and TB how to develop people? Wow that's arrogant.
[ Edited by LBSI9ers on Nov 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM ]
he used to run the 100m--under 11 seconds, in fact. I've spent years and years scouting and evaluating track athletes, so I trust my judgment pretty well when watching athletes run around. okoye runs like a sprinter, and that is not what you want in a defensive lineman. he's always on the balls of his feet, and you don't have power against a load when you run like that. you have to be able to naturally plant your whole foot on the ground and drive through your hips to get the kind of torque and power to move mass. people with speed and power in a straight line almost never have that ability with lateral movement. anatomically, those two abilities are mutually exclusive. in order to take on and dominate people coming at you from different angles, you need some big, ox hips that can push equally well side to side and forward. more narrow, tight, sprinter hips are great at linear explosion--but that's about it.
in my opinion, okoye is built more like sprinter than an ox. I don't see him being able to work well through garbage along the d-line, but if he gets more powerful, he can be effective collapsing pockets. his linear power is probably top notch. teach him to penetrate.

You're initial statement was not that he limited physically. You said his joints are toght and that he lacks flexibility. You're making football out to be this sport that only yoga masters can even attempt. Okoyea probably morw flexible then half thw DLs in the league. Hes an athlete, man. He's going to be able to pick up juat about.anything except endurance sports. Dish throwing = controlled explosiveness. Sounds about right. At this point just admitting you were talking off thw.cuff would be easier than another long explanation no one is going to buy
Share 49ersWebzone