There are 171 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Don't worry about Tank. All the talent and skill is there but he's learning practically a brand new DL position so it's still on-the-job training. Vic doesn't believe in throwing a guy in there just to let him play if it's detrimental to the team.
I'd like to see him out there, but I'm sure Fangio has good reasons for being cautious with him. All in good time, I guess. I do like what I'm seeing from Jerrod-Eddie, though.
Originally posted by irief:
Something's not adding up in this situation. They didn't even put him in last night during garbage time. Him missing training camp isn't a good reason for his lack of playing time, because he's playing DE. He's not playing FS, where he maybe expected to orchestrate some plays. Don't think he needs an entire training camp for him to come in during obvious passing downs during garbage time. He just needs to get after the QB in this situation, which doesn't require a Bill Walsh like understanding of the playbook.

Either his knee is in worse shape than was previously believed, or his talent isn't up to par, or he's not acclimating to the NFL, or he's in the coach's dog house. Just some theories.
He was Inactive.. and he's playing a different position, he needs time but I think he'll play before the season ends.
Another conspiracy theory, another day in the Zone.
I dont think Tank talents are in question. The question is, should the 49ers, coming off a superbowl appearance and having essentially the same team, with a QB still on rookie salary, be drafting an injured player who may/may not contribute this year with the #40 pick in the draft?

I guess the team had Tank as the next highest rated player overall, OR the highest D-lineman overall and were taking D-line with that pick no matter what.

Personally I dont think i would have drafted him #40 (or Vance later in round 2). At least not for 49ers looking to reach superbowl THIS YEAR. For a team who is missing a few pieces and looking to compete in a few years then YES.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Waste of a pick, Hope i'm wrong. He's a pass rushing 6'4 275lb DE and theyre trying to make him a runstopping 3/4 DE. Its not his style. His style is a Pass Rusher using his athletic ability. If they mis use him, it wont work. They need to atleast unleash him on some passing downs.

You just answered your own question there. This transformation takes time. Not only mentally but physically. I'm sure they have him on a weight regiment to add some beef to his frame which he can support. I don't think putting him at 34 end is miscasting him at all. In fact I believe he's better suited to play 3-4 end at this level than 4-3 end. I think Tank is going to be a monster.

Also keep in mind, Tank didn't have an offseason at all. NONE! That's devastating to a rookie player looking to get on the field especially at a new position. I know he's still a DE but his role will be quite different than he's used to. He'll be a great addition to the defense next season.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
somethings not right about this thread
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Waste of a pick, Hope i'm wrong. He's a pass rushing 6'4 275lb DE and theyre trying to make him a runstopping 3/4 DE. Its not his style. His style is a Pass Rusher using his athletic ability. If they mis use him, it wont work. They need to atleast unleash him on some passing downs.

You just answered your own question there. This transformation takes time. Not only mentally but physically. I'm sure they have him on a weight regiment to add some beef to his frame which he can support. I don't think putting him at 34 end is miscasting him at all. In fact I believe he's better suited to play 3-4 end at this level than 4-3 end. I think Tank is going to be a monster.

Also keep in mind, Tank didn't have an offseason at all. NONE! That's devastating to a rookie player looking to get on the field especially at a new position. I know he's still a DE but his role will be quite different than he's used to. He'll be a great addition to the defense next season.

the people complaining about making him a 3-4 de are completely over looking the fact we also employ a lot of 4 man fronts.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
I dont think Tank talents are in question. The question is, should the 49ers, coming off a superbowl appearance and having essentially the same team, with a QB still on rookie salary, be drafting an injured player who may/may not contribute this year with the #40 pick in the draft?

I guess the team had Tank as the next highest rated player overall, OR the highest D-lineman overall and were taking D-line with that pick no matter what.

Personally I dont think i would have drafted him #40 (or Vance later in round 2). At least not for 49ers looking to reach superbowl THIS YEAR. For a team who is missing a few pieces and looking to compete in a few years then YES.

I believe he was a projected top 10 before his injury. This pick will be a steal if he comes even close to fulfilling that potential. Pass rushing linemen are like gold.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:

Which gives me the impression that Harbaalke isn't interested in JUST this year. They're looking to build a team that can compete every year for the foreseeable future and not just one to contend in 2013. We can argue the merits of that approach, but that definitely seems to be the strategy as opposed to drafting guys that were viewed as lesser talents by the organization, but ones that MIGHT be able to help more immediately in their 2013 SB run.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
trade him to KC
Originally posted by frozen49er:

With that logic, Lattimore was a waste of a pick as well because he wont see the field for one play this year. We drafted some guys that were hurt and are banking on them for the long term, not that thats ever worked out for us before, I mean that Gire guy was such a waste of a pick.

not really, EH is saying that tank was a bad pick because of the type of player he is versus our scheme. Youre bringing up a player who was drafted for his potential when the FO knew full well the weren't likely to play him all year..

Nvm
  • thl408
Originally posted by crabman82:
yeah his name is tony jerod-eddie, guy is playing too well to even think about taking him off the field.

I have been surprised at how well TJE has been playing. Didn't think he had it in him. So the two reasons I think Tank hasn't played is TJE and having to learn a new position. I'm not thrilled that a high 2nd rounder was used on a project, but the reward will come in fall of 2014.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by susweel:
trade him to KC

or

release him so seattle can pick him up feed him roids make him awesome so he can record 9 sacks in one game and be suspended
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by susweel:
trade him to KC

or

release him so seattle can pick him up feed him roids make him awesome so he can record 9 sacks in one game and be suspended

WINNER
Share 49ersWebzone